Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Xmas everyone.

I thought with the slow start thread, to whip the battery out & recharge it as we won't be using the motor today.

I got the 2 rods loosened & then disconnected the terminals.

I then tried to lift out the battery>> no way Pedro:icon_frown::icon_frown:

The leads get in the way.

After a lot of huffing & puffing I gave up & reconnected the terminals no problem.

The thing that's driving me nuts is getting the 2 Rods to hook under the Battery Tray.

So, how do you get the battery out AND, refit the battery clamp & these 2 Poxy Rods??

Regards

Alan MaC

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
I back the rods off more than necessary, that'll allow you to shift the battery and holder a little more, plus the tray the battery sits in can sometimes hinder the rods release so move that a small amount and you should be able to wiggle the rods free. Follow the same procedure for putting it all back together.
The cables always get in the way, a little bit of string will hold them somewhat out of the way. Good Luck

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
657 Posts
The battery tray moves and then the grooves in the tray don't line up with the holes in the metal.

Put the 'front' rod into its groove and into the hole, and lay it forward out of the way - put the battery back in the tray and then it's a (relatively) simple job to hold the first rod and twist the whole battery and tray till the second rod goes in.

I think.

S

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers, good scheme using the string to tie the terminals out of the way.

I am a little full of both drink:Banane35: & food :Banane36:

Looks like another go tomorrow.

All the very best fellow Foresters>>>>:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Kind regards

Alan MaC

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The String was GOOD advice.

I managed to get the "Bandit" out what a pallaver.

I've got it on charge & have some batterry reviver tablets to stick in once it;'s charged up.

Looked at Battery prices £89 @ Halfrauds + a Fiver to fit.

To an on line freee delivery one @ £36 ??

Obviously with all the Xmas expenditure I'm hoping to get away with not replacing it for a while.

It's been on the Foz since new & is over 4 years old so, I suppose I've had reasonable wear & tear :huh:from it.

It's just bits wearing out with the mileage, clutch, tyres, & turbo.

Thanks for the tips.

Regards

AM.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
mines was over 7 years old when I replaced it in July. Still had the fitters sticker on which was a Autobacs (japanese halfords) in chiba prefecture! Must admit I dint have much of a problem removing mine, Mind you I have done it before - a few times!

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
I've got it on charge & have some batterry reviver tablets to stick in once it;'s charged up.

Looked at Battery prices £89 @ Halfrauds + a Fiver to fit.

AM.
With batteries you definitely get what you pay for, and good ones are not cheap.

The most reliable that I have found are by AC Delco (OEM fitting for Vauxhall). It's not unusual to get 10 years out of one of these.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for magic tablets either. If the plates are sulphated or bent then you're pretty much stuffed. If your battery is never fully discharged then it can suffer from a memory effect and lose its capacity. A technique that sometimes improves this is to discharge it completely, but never allow the terminal voltage to fall below 10.6V. Put a voltmeter on the terminals, start with all your lights on, then when it drops to 10.6V turn main beam off. The voltage will rise; when it falls again to 10.6V turn dip beam off. Carry on like this until you get 10.6V at the terminals with nothing connected, then recharge it. It's a long, boring job but can rejuvenate some batteries and is worth trying if you can't afford a new one.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Dunno why anyone would buy a battery (or any other service items for that matter) from Halfrauds. Go see you local factors, get the same spec for half the price.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
With batteries you definitely get what you pay for, and good ones are not cheap.

The most reliable that I have found are by AC Delco (OEM fitting for Vauxhall). It's not unusual to get 10 years out of one of these.
I've just replaced mine with a Vauxhall one (part no v0019003129 55AH) with a 3 year warranty. It was about an 1" lower than the OE but fitted fine. As I still have a trade card the cost was £42 all in.

Max.

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right, got the Bandit back in.

I tied both terminal leads back with string & used the Spring by the washer Bottle as an anchor.

I recharged the battery overnight.

The rods are a pain.

I took the adsvice & got the front one in pre battery.

Thanks for the advice about up & down with the amps etc, Feck it.

The AC Delco tip looks a good one & thanks for that.

I have checked the paperwork, it will be 5 years old in march 2010.

But as Mike said, he got 7 years out of his.

The other thing with batteries I'm not too sure of, is how much water to put in the cells, is it JUSt above the plates, under the the cell knobs??

I have posted & rsearched but can't seeem to get a straight answer & diagrams.

Regards

AM

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
As long as the plates are totally covered, you're good to go. But for reference, if the housing is translucent there'll be level markings and if not there's likely to be a moulded bit under the cap that you fill up to.

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
'Cos they're open on Sunday Afternoon!
(And they're very good batteries!)
and cheap as chips with a trade card (eg a £99 battery costs £47 with the trade card) and the good ones are sealed maint free with 4 years warranty.

i actually rate halfords own branded stuff, its pretty good quality, and they replace anything without a receipt if you get the wrong parts. the air filter is better quality than OEM too especially if you have a turbo!

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and cheap as chips with a trade card (eg a £99 battery costs £47 with the trade card) and the good ones are sealed maint free with 4 years warranty.

i actually rate halfords own branded stuff, its pretty good quality, and they replace anything without a receipt if you get the wrong parts. the air filter is better quality than OEM too especially if you have a turbo!
How do you get a trade card then???:biggrin:

Regards

AM

PS I is still going fingers crossed>>>>>

·
Registered
1999 (UKDM) S-Turbo (LT) 4EAT
217 Posts
I recently replaced my battery at Halfords for one of the new Bosch Silver range. There isn't a Bosch Silver listed by Halfords to fit the Fozzy but I matched the oem specs from my owners manual for the autobox version (higher AH than manual apparently) to the equivalent Bosch and came up with the HSB063 (Halfords part number I believe) as the best match at £85. It's roughly the same width and depth dimensions as the OEM give or take a couple of millimetres but not quite as tall. Fitted fine, and it comes with a 5 year guarantee :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts