Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone... I'm new here but I've found the discussion informative and useful. I'm contemplating the purchase of A forester however I'm undecided weather the rear LSD in the xs model is usefull for me.

I live in south western Ontario Canada and I do 75% of driving on the HWY. only a small fraction of my driving takes place on snow covered country roads.

I'd be interested in the rear LSD if it helps to counteract understear during "spirited" driving in the winter. Does anyone have any thoghts or experience with this?

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
yes I would say that it is worth it esp. if you are doing driving in snow and or spirited driving. It would be more worth it in a XT since it has more horsepower.
As for understeer it does reduce it, even with the stock suspension. but during spirited driving on the streets with stock suspension( I can not speak for coilovers/Springs) the rear out-side tire tends to slip alittle but this could be due to something else
Iam not a pro on LSD's but I hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I'd say no, not worth it for what you describe. During spirited driving, it will have zero effect.

It is a viscous coupling, and a weak one at that. It only comes into play after the tire at the other side is spinning a lot, and even when it does kick in, it still spins slower than the other side until traction is regained.

If you could get a good clutch type or torque sensing type, then it would be worth it.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Nothing counteracts understeer like a little oversteer:Banane01: :Banane01: :Banane01:

From the XT side of life, the lsd quick and smooth. I've not driven in snow/ice, and wet can get tricky if you have a heavy right foot.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
No issues on our end with the lsd on our 03 XS & ours too sees about 75% highway on Ontario highways......my wife wanted the huge sunroof......so we had to get either the XS PP1 or PP2 (the 'base' XS with 2 tone paint does not come with the sunroof). :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts

I have a LSD on 02 S and I also live in Ontario. All I can add to this debate is that in certain conditions regarding life in the Great White North i.e. snow, it's a lot of fun. Going up certain snow covered hills, when the diff engages it feels like you've got a rocket booster pushing you uphill...............not that I'd know how that feels, but you get the gist.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts