Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 forester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI all

I've owned my forester about a year or so. First time Subaru owner....

is the 2007 Forester generally a soft bouncy suspension? I did the bounce test where you push the front hood up and down multiple times and then release to see how many times the car bounces - and it does NOT bounce back more then the first time.

But it's drives noticable more soft/bouncy then my old pontiac vibe for example.

Do I just have to accept a bouncey Subu?
(mileage about 155,000km or 95,000 miles)

·
Registered
2007 forester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Kevin. Is spring replacement something the average home mechanic can do or more of a garage thing...

·
Administrator
15,165 Posts
You can do it if you have a spring compressor.

First of all I would check the hub-to-guard measurement to see if the springs have sagged.

Not sure what it is for your model but it may be the same as my SG.

Front 437 +12 or −24 mm (17.20 +0.47 or −0.94 in)

Rear 440 +12 or −24 mm (17.32 +0.47 or −0.94 in)

If that seems OK then maybe your struts are worn and not controlling the springs which can cause bounce. Even so, your bounce test seemed OK.

If neither struts or springs have been changed since 2007 then you may need to look at a complete replacement caps, struts and springs. If you can obtain a complete pre-assembled strut then that would make for an easy job. You'll need a wheel alignment after the job is done.

·
Administrator
15,165 Posts
I'm not sure what is available in your region but another member mentioned in a recent post that maybe KYB make them. KYB have a good reputation.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
I would find it unlikely that the springs are bad at 95,000 mi but you never know. Maybe shocks are starting to go, but OP really hasn't said anything that sounds very out of the ordinary.

I would not recommend DIY for this type of suspension work unless you live in the desert and have no corrosion. It can easily turn into a nightmare of corroded bushings.

That said, if you want an awesome suspension that is firm but not harsh, consider ordering the king spring and KYB combo kit from primitive. They'll assemble the entire assembly for you. If the price is too high for that setup, maybe just consider installing new KYB's only (Excel-G)

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f94/king-springs-standard-height-466265/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts