Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how Subaru compare's to other companies ? I've had my Forester for a few years so awd not new to me . I've just noticed lately how many companies offer some form AWD car in their lineup (new and old). Volvo , Suzuki , Ford , SAAB , Chevy (well, trucks/suv) , Honda/Acura SH , Audi , Bmw etc. How do they stack up to our Subaru's ?

Rich

PS- sorry if this has been covered before , I'm new here. I did search though, got nothin'

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Can of worms man... can of worms.. lol

Highly subjective. You will not get a definite answer and asking on a Subie board will only get what you expect.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Driving in the rain today, it made me think. I drove both my Forester and my Matrix... my Forester with UHP Summer tires won't lose any traction from my driving and throttling styles while my Matrix with meaty Michellin Exalto A/S under the same conditions like to do tire spins in place. Man I can't imaging another FWD in the family... AWD also just holds the line so much better.

I also recall a discussion on Edmunds where these guys started out worshiping Honda's SH-AWD and Audi's Quattro, and then in the end they couldn't imagine anything else besides Subaru's AWD lol. CONVERTED!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured the subject might have been beaten to death. I also knew that most info would be biased. What I was hoping for was maybe some kind of info from magazine or tv show testing (not that they can't be bias).

Thanks for posting the vid .Pretty interesting , but at the end the Subaru dealership jingle is gross.

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,469 Posts
From personal experience; Premium awd system = Audi (better than BMW/Benz etc)
Economy awd system = Subaru (better than volvo, ford, chrysler etc).

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Yes, Subaru is the best in its price class. And in all practicality for 75% of situations most people typically encounter, it will serve the driver just as well as the so called premium systems with Torsen diff's or whatever. I'll put a Subaru against an Audi in the snow or off-road,any day.

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,469 Posts
Yes, Subaru is the best in its price class. And in all practicality for 75% of situations most people typically encounter, it will serve the driver just as well as the so called premium systems with Torsen diff's or whatever. I'll put a Subaru against an Audi in the snow or off-road,any day.
I prefer the Subbie to the Audi myself as well. But the Audi is far more refined and luxurious where the subaru is more practical.

I think in a comp test, they do equally well. They are both solid and reliable.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Aren't Subaru's AWD systems different in the manual vs. auto cars? May depend on the transmission. But, in any case, it's hard to beat Subaru's AWD systems, especially for the money.

Stan

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
From personal experience; Premium awd system = Audi (better than BMW/Benz etc)
Economy awd system = Subaru (better than volvo, ford, chrysler etc).
Agree 100%...IMHO the AUDI seemed to me a little bit better in snow/rain than the Forester. But I wouldn't take the Audi offroad...just didn't fit that role.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
I drove a bunch of stuff in the market segment before I bought my Fozzie and what I can tell you is the full time nature of the AWD is what sold me. Nothing else I drove (and I test drove in some PRETTY SKETCHY weather - freezing rain on top of accumulated snow) gave me the sure-footedness of the Impreza that I originally PLANNED on buying. In the Toyotas, (RAV and Matrix AWD) I could feel the vehicle START to get squirrely and THEN the AWD would kick in. By the time the system reacted, I was ALREADY reacting (after 10 years of driving Jeep Cherokees which are NOTORIOUSLY lousy on ice you pay a LOT of attention to traction) to traction loss and may have been minimizing the effectiveness of the system.

With the Subaru, I just point and go. No questions. I OFTEN find myself looking at the speedo as I'm taking tight downhill offramps saying "wow, I REALLY should have bled off more speed" with ZERO ill effects SO FAR. Still haven't had the traction control kick in a single time. THAT says a lot.

Haven't taken an Audi, Bimmer, Benz or Volvo AWD out though so I can't comment.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Agreed. The "reactive AWD" systems that run as FWD until they detect wheel slip or spin and only then divert torque are sub-optimal, IMHO. By the time they divert torque, driving stability and control have already been compromised.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Can of worms man... can of worms.. lol

Highly subjective. You will not get a definite answer and asking on a Subie board will only get what you expect.
Pretty much. My 2 cents: If you live in an area where you can encounter all sorts of dicey road conditions any time of year (or take it off-road), then Subaru offers a good solution with always-on AWD, at a slight mileage penalty. If you only encounter some slop in winter and are not averse to putting on winter tires for three-five months, then most other systems will be fine, but there is sometimes a delay in the system reaction time depending on the hardware and software.

·
Registered
2003 XS
176 Posts
My 2003 AT understeers horribly. I haven't driven other AWD cars but its the only negative against the Suburu that I see. It would be nice if the AWD system was rear bias but I may be in the minority.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts