Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a right rear bearing that needs replaced. I've done plenty of work on my 02 Forester myself, the biggest job being changing the clutch. I've replaced bearings on other vehicles, but after reading some of the threads on the subject I'm a little leery about tackling this. At first I was looking at just the bearing, but I see that I can get a hub/bearing assembly for less than $200. I figured that way I wouldn't have to worry about getting the bearing out and the new one pressed in.

Is getting the rear hub off really that bad. All I have is a set of standard three jaw pullers, but was planning on renting a slide hammer if need be. Any imput would be appreciated.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
You need a press to get the bearing in/out of the knuckle/spindle, not just to get the hub in. It's not something you can DIY in your garage unless you have a multiton press or a "hubshark" type tool.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I removed the rear knuckle assy and took to a machine shop for their removal of old bearing and installation of new. It cost $25.

good luck

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I have a homemade "hubshark" tool using large bolts and pieces of iron pipe and washers. I replaced rear bearings on my '04. This setup worked great on Toyotas I had before, but it was a real pain on the Subaru because the parts weren't quite the correct sizes. If I do any more bearings on my Subaru, I'm gonna get a more proper "hubshark" tool set, though. Here's what I'm considering for the future since I'm not a pro and would only use it occasionally:
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I think it's easier to use a hubshark set than taking the whole knuckle out. I would steer clear of a shop that didn't have a hubshark set and insisted on taking the knuckles out to replace them. It can save an alignment and keep from having to disconnect brake lines.

Depending on age and corrosion it can be a real pain to get the big, long bolt loose on the bottom of the knuckle. If it doesn't want to loosen with PB blaster and 1/2 drive tools, I would see how much a set of bolts costs before continuing and maybe just replace them for good measure. I just took that bolt off and there was enough flex to get the axle out without having to loosen the top of the strut too. Although I would have done so if I felt like I was having to push very hard.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Oh, if you''ve done a clutch and have the time and patience it's not a terrible job. Just remember, as in a clutch job, there's a reason that shops charge so much to replace a bearing. So it is difficult compared to changing an alternator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts