Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a few manual tranny cars in the past but never had the capability or need to change the clutch during the time I owned them.

I currently own a 2004 forester XT 5 spd and have been having some issues when shifting. The car currently has 133xxx km(83xxx miles), and the clutch has never been replaced.

I have not had any slippage issues(that I can tell) with the clutch, but my shifting point is now very close to the clutch pedal being all the way out. Also if I shift without being very smooth( read slightly aggresive) the car will lurch, like I am new to driving a standard. The RPMs don't go up at any point during this, they stay rock solid, the car just starts bounce a bit. If I am light on the shifts, the car won't do it at all.

Also I can give it as hard as I want in 3rd, 4th and 5th with no issues and the lurching during shifting doesn't happen.

Is my clutch worn out or possibly my pressure plate? Or is it something else?

If the clutch is going, is there any way to adjust the pedal shift point a little further in, so I can buy a couple more weeks,while I order in a clutch?

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
clutch actuation is hydraulic, not cable, so I don't believe there is any real adjustment to the "take up" point?! you may want to check the hydraulic system to be sure clutch master cylinder has plenty of fluid and slave cylinder and hose aren't leaking. there is an "inspection cover" on top of the tranny near the firewall that can be removed to look at the clutch, but I don't know how much more difficult this might be to get to on a turbo versus an N/A. you may have to rotate the motor slightly to get a good view of things since the pressure plate cover will be in the way part of the time.

my '04 NA clutch was well over 1/2 worn out at 86kmi but i've only had it since 74k so I don't know how the last owner drove it.

had an '00 NA with 120kmi that was doing good except for the occasional shudder typical of that year. had another '00 at 135k that wasn't slipping yet but seemed to be nearing end of life.

a lot of clutch life depends on the way the car is driven.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,961 Posts
Quick test; fifth gear, 2500 RPMs, high load, WOT, any slip?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick test; fifth gear, 2500 RPMs, high load, WOT, any slip?
I tried this 5 times this morning and not once did I get any slip, I ran it up to 5000rpm each time.

I also tried it in 3rd and 4th and had not slip

I will hopefully be able to check my fluid levels tonight.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
i have had a variety of japanese manual cars with manual transmissions with 150kmi and up. I only ever had 1 where part of the clutch actuation system went out. It was acting up if the clutch was pushed in very long. It turned out the slave cylinder attached to the transmission was actually leaking. A new cylinder and bleeding the system fixed it, and the clutch lasted for some time longer before it needed replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts