Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed either an '09 or '10 with body side molding (what I think of as the horizontal strip that protects the sides from door dings). My new foz doesn't have it (mine has a horizontal indentation on each side). I checked the subaru website for pics and it looks like my model has the raised molding and other ones have the indentation. Anyone know the reason for the 2 different styles? I would prefer having the raised molding to protect the sides from dings. Have any of you added this?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Today I noticed either an '09 or '10 with body side molding (what I think of as the horizontal strip that protects the sides from door dings). My new foz doesn't have it (mine has a horizontal indentation on each side). I checked the subaru website for pics and it looks like my model has the raised molding and other ones have the indentation. Anyone know the reason for the 2 different styles? I would prefer having the raised molding to protect the sides from dings. Have any of you added this?
I'm pretty sure it's an option on all models, a peel and stick add-on.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
52 Posts
There is only one body style for the 2010 Forester. The body side moldings are an option that is available from your Subaru dealers part dept.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Yeah the body side moulding is an accessory, and don't sweat the fact that you don't have it. Someone opened a door into my Legacy's door, they hit the body side moulding, and instead of causing one dent I could have had fixed with paintless dent repair for like $40 if I didn't have the side moulding, the body side moulding deflected the energy into the door's sheet metal, which caused two other creases, which then cost me like $80 to repair.

So in some cases, it would protect, but others, not.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
1 Posts
Hey Catlover -- I think the body side molding you refer to is only available as an accessory. I had them installed on my new '10 yesterday. I'm hoping they'll help me avoid some parking lot dings.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Yeah i guess more often than not it will protect properly. Assuming the other persons door is at precisely the right height to hit the moulding and not above or below it

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
^^ It goes give the Foz a bit more of a sportiness look to it, and breaks up all that flat sheet-metal on the sides.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, this peel n' stick stuff sticks a lot better if it's done when the ambient temp is warm. I'm waiting until winter's really over before I buy any of it.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
Yeah the body side moulding is an accessory, and don't sweat the fact that you don't have it. Someone opened a door into my Legacy's door, they hit the body side moulding, and instead of causing one dent I could have had fixed with paintless dent repair for like $40 if I didn't have the side moulding, the body side moulding deflected the energy into the door's sheet metal, which caused two other creases, which then cost me like $80 to repair.

So in some cases, it would protect, but others, not.
That's really good info. I was considering ordering the moldings too, but I thought the price was sort of high for four stick on plastic strips.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
I actually like the look of the side mouldings. Plus, I think they help with dings? Never really had issues though... I like to think parking far away from everyone else is always the best solution. :biggrin:

Just a pic of the side mouldings for good measure.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your responses. I think I will order them for mine. I did see them for sale on a website the other day that were cheaper than retail. At the moment I don't recall the name of the site. I like the look of them and they do make the foz look more sporty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts