Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester Automatic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a intersection and was hit by someone on the left side. They were going 55. My airbags were not deployed but my frame is hanging out through the bumper. My car has 170, 000 miles and is a 2006 premium Forester 2.5. There are some thing messed up in the inside of it and my hood is damaged. The front bumper, both wheel wells, hood, headlight, fog light, fog light casing, left quarter panel, and maybe the front metsl bumper is bent snd hanging out of the front bumper. The windshield wiper fluid container is destroyed, the plastic piece under the car ir ruined. I don't know about the frame for sure. I am wanting to know what you guys think without a picture. Lol thanks any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
KBB says value is 6K in excellent condition.. If it's not totalled, damage must be very light.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
That doesn't sound bad. Cost $2,700 to re-skin the driver front door on my TSX and paint it. I guess labor rates may be different. Could come out nice if fixed right, it's the mileage that's screwing the value.

Stan

·
Registered
2006 Forester Automatic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be perfectly fine if its totalled. This way I can just get a new car and not have to worry about having this on the past accidents and have a car that is a pain in the *** to sell.

·
Registered
2013 Honda 5spWantManual
61 Posts
55 (km 0r mph) angle or full side? either way bags are bad

airbags not deployed is BIG problem, ok?

I was at a intersection and was hit by someone on the left side. They were going 55. My airbags were not deployed but my frame is hanging out through the bumper./QUOTE]

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 8 speed
113 Posts
Completely depends on the adjuster.

A friend of mine was in a accident, front passenger side in a truck, over $25k in damages, truck was only $32k new, they repaired it.

I've also been watching some insurance auctions (looking for a project), and I am amazed at what is considered a write-off.

The problem is the system they (adjusters/body shops) use. It's an hourly rate system.

as an example, I had a minor fendor bender on my 2.5rs, all it needed was a new fender, and the fender needed to be painted. They quoted me $1400 out the door. I asked them how much to supply and paint the fender $350. I looked at their quote, they said they had to completely remove the bumper, headlights, re-align door, etc. Well, 5 bolts (and $350) later I had a brand new fender installed (and aligned properly). And I know that's exactly what the body guy would've done.

Oh yeah, and I've got a friend who is an insurance agent (coincidently the wife of the guy with the truck), and she said there's no set % for a write off. Completely depends on the adjuster.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Auto
368 Posts

I was at a intersection and was hit by someone on the left side. They were going 55. My airbags were not deployed but my frame is hanging out through the bumper./QUOTE]
The air bags are not bad. this is a big misconception of air bags. just because a car is in an accident doesn't automatically signal that the air bags should go off no matter what. (Trust me, ive been a volunteer firefighter for goin on 12 years now, ive seen my fair share of air bag deployment and non deployment crashes) if it was a side impact crash (as it seems described) I don't believe that the OP forester was equipped with side curtain air bags, if such the case then there would not have been deployment bc there would be no reason for the air bag to deploy he was not suddenly stopped moving forward, no sudden change in forward direction means no need for steering wheel air bag deployment bc the g sensors didn't not register a sudden forward traveling directional change. the air bag sensors would not have been triggered. so the bags would not be bad.

·
Registered
2016 Ford RS & 2019 Subaru Descent
1,349 Posts
^agree.

A friend totaled a brand new Honda Civic in 1993 by losing control & hitting a mid-size tree at 40mph. Impact caused enough damage to total vehicle, however the g forces were minimal. No airbag deployment. No injuries sustained among the 4 occupants. Airbags were fine in the vehicle. I was a passenger and barely felt the seat belts restrain. Glad the airbags didn't deploy!

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Last week, I t-boned a car that ran a stop sign and my airbag did not deploy.

The sensors must have got it right. No one was hurt - nothing.

The conditions - 25-30mph at impact; snow over ice on the roads; light vehicle that I struck (VW Golf). I shoved the car about 30 feet and spun it 90 degrees. It was pretty much a square flat hit across the entire front. The result was over $15K in damage.

·
Registered
2013 Honda 5spWantManual
61 Posts
op said hit at 55 and frame hanging out through bumper

understand about side impact (thank you rllyrckt: see first 4 pics) but think subaru has problem with front airbags till 2009-2010. Maybe all old cars are same so those write above that no airbags pop your cars are older, yes?

assumed impact had some front direction. without pictures bad guess, maybe? (op also said: "front bumper, both wheel wells, hood, headlight, fog light, fog light casing, left quarter panel, and maybe the front metsl bumper is bent snd hanging out of the front bumper")

check out attachment pictures (pics from subaru salvage auctions online. small sample but feel representative. maybe ALL older cars/old technology don't pop like new sensors? I only look at subaru). thank you.

The air bags are not bad. this is a big misconception of air bags. just because a car is in an accident doesn't automatically signal that the air bags should go off no matter what. (Trust me, ive been a volunteer firefighter for goin on 12 years now, ive seen my fair share of air bag deployment and non deployment crashes) if it was a side impact crash (as it seems described) I don't believe that the OP forester was equipped with side curtain air bags, if such the case then there would not have been deployment bc there would be no reason for the air bag to deploy he was not suddenly stopped moving forward, no sudden change in forward direction means no need for steering wheel air bag deployment bc the g sensors didn't not register a sudden forward traveling directional change. the air bag sensors would not have been triggered. so the bags would not be bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Honda 5spWantManual
61 Posts
newer cars airbags pop

newer cars airbags pop
check out attachment pictures (pics from subaru salvage auctions online. small sample but feel representative. maybe ALL older cars/old technology don't pop like new sensors? I only look at subaru). thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Forester S 5-Speed Manual
217 Posts
Unless the vehicle is equipped with side-impact airbags (either seat-bolster or head-curtain style), there's no reason for the front airbags to deploy in a side-impact collision. It's THAT plain and simple.

As for the so-called issue of an older vehicle: The tolerances of the airbag sensors and wiring systems are actually quite rigid due to Federal safety standards. Unless the Air Bag System Warning is active, there's no reason the airbags shouldn't deploy when conditions are appropriate for them to activate.

As for the OP: Blaker, it's truly hard to say whether or not the car will be a Total Loss until they get inside and take frame measurements to see if the frame is bent. In some cases, a frame straightener can fix it without weakening the rigidity. If they fix it, I'd just keep it and run it until it's no longer fiscally reasonable to repair. At $6K value now and the current mileage, it could be a pain in the butt to sell even if it had never been damaged.

Either way, you walked away from it with minimal or no injury. Cars are replaceable. You're not. I learned this lesson (and ended up with my first Subaru) last February when my 1998 Nissan Altima SE that I owned for ONLY FIVE DAYS was rear-ended while I was waiting to make a left turn. Driver of the SUV that smashed me was doing about 50-55 MPH. My license plate was less than 6 inches from the rear axle. If you look in my profile, you'll see pics of the car.

Good luck!

-Matt

·
Registered
2009 Foz XT Limited Auto
369 Posts
OP, any pictures of your car?

Won-Cho, why would the front airbags deply when it is a side crash, or a quarter panel hit where there are no sensors?

Out of the 2 picture series you showed us (older cars vs newer cards), none have had a similar enough crash to one in the other series to really compare.

I was in 2 car accidents with my old '98 Neon; one was fender vs fender contact (bags did not pop); other was a 30km/h head-on in a rear bumper (again, bags did not pop). When I applied the brakes the car dipped and went under the bumper. Radiator was pushed in engine, radiator frame was ruined, bumper was ruined, both headlights shattered, one fender was pushed rearward and lost paint. In all of these hits, no cars had popped the bags.

Do you know how little damage you need to start changing out body panels? My fender vs fender... I literally only had to change the fender, washer fluid bottle and some suspension parts (positive camber, lol). The other car was not so much lucky (a Sunfire who needed a new door, mirror, wheel, tire, fender, hood, bumper, grill, headlight and a suspension refresh)

·
Registered
2013 Honda 5spWantManual
61 Posts
yes, old car vs. new car too

Out of the 2 picture series you showed us (older cars vs newer cards), none have had a similar enough crash to one in the other series to really compare.
55mph/88kmh into car very bad. Please, for original post, please let us see photo

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Automatic
709 Posts
I was at a intersection and was hit by someone on the left side. They were going 55. My airbags were not deployed but my frame is hanging out through the bumper. My car has 170, 000 miles and is a 2006 premium Forester 2.5. There are some thing messed up in the inside of it and my hood is damaged. The front bumper, both wheel wells, hood, headlight, fog light, fog light casing, left quarter panel, and maybe the front metsl bumper is bent snd hanging out of the front bumper. The windshield wiper fluid container is destroyed, the plastic piece under the car ir ruined. I don't know about the frame for sure. I am wanting to know what you guys think without a picture. Lol thanks any help is appreciated.
how did the doors on the left side not get damaged? They must have. I bet if this impact was hard enough, the body may have twisted itself. This car to me sounds like write off already. Unless a shop wants to save it and make some money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts