Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just me, but I bought a 2009 Foz Beaner from a small independent dealer here in Colorado.

The car came nicely detailed, but with less then a 1/4 of a tank of gas.

I though this was downright obnoxious.

I love the car and I thought it was a great deal but this really annoys me. I don't care about the lousy extra $30, I just thought it was very uncool.

Should I mention it, or just let it go?

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,639 Posts
Mention it. It bothered you. I wouldn't make a Federal Case out of it, you probably will wind up with either 1st oil change gratis, or something?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
206 Posts
Don't feel bad about voicing your opinion...

When I purchased my 07, the stealership sold it to me with an almost new set of Blizzaks (VERY nice!), which is great for the winter, but borderline ridiculous to drive on during the summer. When I was told that was how the car would be sold, I called in the Manager to voice my displeasure. I was given 5 free oil changes, Subaru rubber floor mats and trunkmat with a cargo net just to keep me satisfied(I bought a set of used summer tires for 150$ installed after I took delivery anyway). If it's irking you, why NOT say something?

With the state of the economy, I would assume most dealers are THRILLED to make a sale and the last thing they need is a disgruntled customer. The best PR is word-of-mouth and having a customer telling friends/family how miffed they are about a Dealer's business practices (or lack thereof) certainly won't bring potential buyers in. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd mention it. I bought my 2010 a couple weeks ago and they filled the tank before I picked it up. In fact they warned me the kms would be a few numbers higher from the trip to get the sherlock etching done and filling the tank.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
87 Posts
Mention it for sure. The stealership did the same to me a few weeks back, then when I asked, they added like 5 gallons of 87... gee thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,306 Posts
My 09 was delivered with a full tank, so probably worth mentioning it.

But what do you mean by "small independent dealer"? Not an authorized Subaru dealer? If not, they may just go "Oh well".

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X Auto
145 Posts
No harm letting them know your feleings.

BTW - you said a 2009 beaner - i thought LL Bean is no longer with subaru after 2008 - i must be wrong.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
34 Posts
2010 Subaru

I don't know about a 2009, but a 2010 Subaru's window sticker that lists
all the options has "A FULL TANK OF GAS " as a standard item.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
I would definitely bring it to their attention, but retain your "the world won't end because of this' attitude. And try your to give them the benefit of doubt. It could have just been an over site.

You're actually helping them be a better business. By telling them it might help them be more conscious about it in the future. Think of it as constructive criticism.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just for the record, it was NOT a new car. It was pre-owned withroughly 4000 miles.
I'm going to mention it to the dealer on Monday.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
96 Posts
Same thing hapened to me

I bought my 2004 Forester X form a corner lot, was a great price. They forgot two things.

1 to wash the car ( it was really dirty )
2 fill the tank

A week later I mentioned it to them, they said they didnt have time to wash the car cause I wanted it so bad...poor excuse.

As for the gas, they sais what ever was in the tank was mine, the empty light was on. I mentioned it to friends in the area, and told them I thought that was pretty slick.

I feel better :)

Great lil car, put over 50K on in one year and only had to replace one wheel bearing.

Sitting with 167K all is good

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Bought mine from a corner lot type place as well. The tank was full when I picked it up, but it was dirty. They offered to wash it and I said no. I love washing and detailing brand new (to me) car.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
I think that was the only negative in my buying experience last September. I rolled off the lot, went two blocks, and the needle was touching the E... Call me crazy, but that wasn't exactly something I felt like experimenting with in the first 15 minutes of ownership.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
It may not be a requirement, but it should be as far as the company is concerned. They should want you to be as happy with your purchase as possible. That includes a full tank of gas. I think it's pretty customary that car purchases come with a full tank of gas. It may not be a new car, but it is "new to you".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts