Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase an '05 FXT that has a stage 2 setup with aftermarket cam shafts, but in order for me to register it (and drive it legally), in the state of CA, I'll need to revert it to stock. I'd like to know if it's safe to run the stock tune (or even stage 1) with after market cams?

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5-speed manual
169 Posts
@fun-stuff I am a native of Northern California and it has been a long time since I sold someone a "performance camshaft" or installed one myself. There are many variables to consider here, the first questions to ask are:

Who made the camshafts you are referring too?

What is the lift, duration, and over lap?

What was the intended applications and engine modifications for the camshafts?

If they do not have a CARB certification number for street use on California roads then the camshafts are not legally approved for street use no matter the state of tune of your car.

You can find out through the CARB, if you know who made the camshafts, if they are street legal or not.

CARB Link for Aftermarket Parts:

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/aftermkt.htm

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5-speed manual
169 Posts
You are welcome. The general rule of thumb is that if a aftermarket part affects the tailpipe emissions of the vehicle from that which the vehicle was originally EPA/CARB certified for then it is not street legal in California unless the CARB has issued an exemption for that specific part and its applications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts