Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4eat
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
09 Forester XT is it safe to change transmission fluid on high mileage ?

my car have 125k on engine / tranny got it few month's back dont know any history of the fluid
everything run's smooth beside when car shift gear car stroke / hesitate before go and sometime on uphill when i press gas car doesn't seen to boost . not sure what might be the issue thinking about maybe the fluid any idea? and would it be safe to change the fluid ??
or anyone would know what might costing the minor stroke when switching gear..
09 forester xt
automatic
with 125k on engine/body

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,941 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a transmission flush, but you could safely do an ATF drain & refill regiment. :wink:

Also check the ATF filter. I've read where engine oil filters have been installed. Engine oil filters are too restrictive & can cause issues.

► Edit - Your "Public Profile" says '06 XT, but your post prefix shows '09-'13 & those years don't have an external ATF filter.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a transmission flush, but you could safely do an ATF drain & refill regiment. :wink:
That is what I would recommend too. You could do it at the same time of regular oil changes.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4eat
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is what I would recommend too. You could do it at the same time of regular oil changes.
i done the oil change like 1500k miles ago i guess i will wait for other 1500 before do the engine/transmission oil change then

thank you guys for the help hope this solve the problem

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,918 Posts
@djnauticz - There are threads already on how to do a trans fluid change - Get several crush washers and drain out the fluid (just shy of a gallon) and refill with the same amount. It will take 2 or 3 times before the fluid is all exchanged because you can't (and shouldn't) get the fluid out of the torque converter by draining.

Put some miles on it between each drain to give the new fluid a chance to work through.
Each time you drain it, what comes out looks more and more like trans fluid.
By the second third time the fluid will look new and after the third, it will be.

I'd suggest you buy the fluid in bulk to save some money - You'll need 3 gallons.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,941 Posts
It would be a lot of work, as you'd have to drop the pan to get to it. It's basically just a mesh screen to catch the large debris.

Have you done a drain & refill regiment to see if that helps with your shifting issues? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2011 Forester X auto
841 Posts
Nope...this will be my first tranny oil change.
Was looking to drop the pan, check the strainer, cables and solenoids. Also check the magnet for large particles.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4eat
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope...this will be my first tranny oil change.
Was looking to drop the pan, check the strainer, cables and solenoids. Also check the magnet for large particles.
what have you done to the car and does it run and shift better on the car?
i am having the same issue as well.. giving me a minor issue

1 - 15 of 15 Posts