Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

just a quick question, i have a 2001 forester 2ltr auto with drums on the rear, can they be switched to discs and calipers? just wandered, might try it if poss,and if i get the funds together lol

cheers
dave

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
It's possible.. try a search for "rear disc conversion" and you should find some info.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,496 Posts
As a practical matter (especially on a 10 car) why?? Rear brakes account for only 20% of your braking. There will be zero improvement. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I converted my OBS to discs and I've got to say that your money would be better spent on a swap to the 11.4" WRX front discs with good pads and a fluid flush. It's easy, only requires the new larger rotors and the caliper brackets. It will only run you a couple hundred dollars at most if you get the cheapie Chinese rotors from Autozone that work just fine.

The rear swap is great for the looks but My 2001 Forester L with drums stops every bit as well as my 2002 with discs. Both have the WRX front swap. Unless you are pulling a trailer in the mountains for the extra fade protection that the rears give then there really is no need for the rear swap.

Guy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts