Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or is it too much to ask for manufacturers to make things a little less irritating for consumers seeing as how WE are what keeps them in business. So I bought the Kenwood DNX5140. Then I decided to buy the best kit BKSU2027B to fit the radio which turned out to be nothing more than Scoche's kit SU2027B. Seeing as how it was permanently warped in the most visible place (see pic) and just looked flimsy, I decided to put out the big bucks for a factory bezel look from JapanParts (317-008-028). It looks good on the outside where it is silver in color, but there are some raised black bumps like sand specs when they painted the black part. Now I am willing to admit that I am particular, but there is a HUGE gap around the Kenwood unit with THIS piece (see pic). If this is a standard din opening, then Kenwood must have manufactured their faceplates a little smaller than some of the other manufacturers. This kind of sh%# makes me nuts. Standard is NEVER standard these daze.:shake: Rant off.

Attachments

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
:huh: oh noes!!! not the kenwood dnx5140! crap!

u sure there really is a gap? im never done an install whatsoever but maybe it's only like that when it's not on the dash?!? i hope.. i hope! ... quick, find a fix! find a fix!!! :icon_mad:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,494 Posts
The first picture looks like the HU mounting needs to be adjusted slightly to square it up. The trim piece on the second picture should square up when it's installed around the HU. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

u sure there really is a gap? im never done an install whatsoever but maybe it's only like that when it's not on the dash?!? i hope.. i hope! ... quick, find a fix! find a fix!!! :icon_mad:
I will MAKE it work, or try the metra kit (only option left). But, my point is this: why can't I just give someone money and have them give me something that fits/works properly?

Anyways, called Kenwood and Installer.com. They assured me that the Kenwood is a standard size double din. If that is true, then I just received two expensive aftermarket kits that suck.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,494 Posts
It does not.
I see you were checking the fit "before" it was installed in the Forester. After you installed the HU in your Forester, does the trim line up? If not, the HU mounting (screws) has some slop, so you should be able to move it around to line it up with the trim. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see you were checking the fit "before" it was installed in the Forester. After you installed the HU in your Forester, does the trim line up? If not, the HU mounting (screws) has some slop, so you should be able to move it around to line it up with the trim. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal
I appreciate the tip. The problem is there is too much slop.:eek: Can't cover all the gap areas by centering it. Oh well, I will figure something out. Thanks again for the recommendations and help....just pi$$ed right now about the whole thing. Paying this kind of money should yield proper fitment and functionality in my little world.:wink:

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

We have a WINNER!!!!! The Metra 95-8902! Look.....no bowing, no gap and color coordinating.....yay! :banana:Only took three tries to get one that fits properly. Will post the rest of the stereo install soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anyone is interested in my Japan Parts bezel or the Scoche, just let me know. Maybe these will fit other slightly taller double din units. Certainly not going to ask what I paid for them because they aren't worth that much.

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
We have a WINNER!!!!! The Metra 95-8902! Look.....no bowing, no gap and color coordinating.....yay! :banana:Only took three tries to get one that fits properly. Will post the rest of the stereo install soon.
:woohoo:

If anyone is interested in my Japan Parts bezel or the Scoche .... Certainly not going to ask what I paid for them because they aren't worth that much.
^^^ this part sucks ^^^ :mob:

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
What year is this going into? I just installed a ddx-512, (predicessor to yours), and needed no kit. It filled the hole in the bezel perfectly using factory mounting. (In my 04). I did have to modify the left mount so it didn't block the cooling fan.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What year is this going into? I just installed a ddx-512, (predicessor to yours), and needed no kit. It filled the hole in the bezel perfectly using factory mounting. (In my 04). I did have to modify the left mount so it didn't block the cooling fan.
It is a 2010 2.5X Limited. That is awesome that you didn't need a kit for yours. Lucky dawg!

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
go go go! install it on ur foz now, take a lot of pics and then post-whore here! im going for the same headunit yknow! :p

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
damnit I just ordered mine from Japanparts yesterday morning too, FIGURES. I have an Alpine unit and the gaps on either side are really annoying but there's no gap at the top so I'm guessing I won't have the same issue as you but we'll see.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
damnit I just ordered mine from Japanparts yesterday morning too, FIGURES. I have an Alpine unit and the gaps on either side are really annoying but there's no gap at the top so I'm guessing I won't have the same issue as you but we'll see.
Be interested to see some pics when you get it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts