Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Auto
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that I called it the correct thing, but I'm originally from Hawaii so not used to heaters for anything.

I was just wondering how hard it is to remove a block heater and install it back on a different Forester. Right now it's installed on a wrecked 01 and I was wondering if I can use it on my 98 but I don't have much time as the car has to be moved by Fri and I won't be able to get at it after that.

In case I'm wrong the heater that I'm speaking about is the kind that plugs into a household outlet to keep the engine slightly warm during extreme cold weather. Where I live it's a nice thing and I would like to get this.

Thanks.

Btw, anything else that I can take from this 01 to put on my 98? Both Foresters, but the 01 is an S model and my 98 isn't.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts

Looks easy enough to remove. Should fit any 2.5 though I'd call the dealer to confirm. They are only $40 though, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it if you can't get it done in time.

Honestly, I've never had the need for one of these. Unless you live in a place where the winter get arctic cold, I've never found Subarus reluctant to start.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
658 Posts
I would only attempt to take it out if it was on a wreck - the heater threads in and the brass is kinda soft, so once corrosion sets in, it's virtually impossible to get out without stripping all the threads, and/or chewing up the brass hex with the effort.

Try it, and if your lucky enough it may come out in one piece....

·
Registered
2004 2.0 XT MT
67 Posts
In a cold climate I'd definitely recommend a block heater. In my neck of the woods, it's very common. In fact I have had one on all my previous cars, as full systems where it branches off to cabin heater, electronic battery charger and dashboard mounted timer.

Apart from what has already been mentioned, the one thing I'd look out for, is if loosening the exhaust might be necessary, as indicated in DEFA's installation manual for Subaru cars:

"The heater is to be mounted from below. Remove the cover
around left exhaust pipe. Remove the original threaded plug and fit the
heater with the outlet plug pointing backwards. If the exhaust system
needs to be loosened for tightening of the heater, both exhaust
gaskets should be replaced with new ones. Top up with the coolant
specified by the car manufacturer, and bleed the cooling system in
accordance with the car manufacturers specifications. Check for
leakages."
http://www.defa.com/doc/200/240.pdf

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
I would agree, buy another one .... and good luck removing the threaded plug in your block.

Last one I installed was on a 2 month old 2002 Outback ...... Getting the factory plug out of the block of a fairly new car was extremely difficult. Getting it out of an older engine might prove a very worthy task .... like pulling the Sword from the Stone.

·
Registered
99 S-turbo
28 Posts
I installed a DEFA block heater and battery charger last weekend together with my brother. No one of us had worked on a Subaru before, but he has done alot of work on all kinds of SAAB cars.

SUre it was a bit difficult to get the frost plug out, we needed to use an impact wrench. But we were able to tighten the block heater without removing the manifold, you just need some patiance and the right tools. It took us roughly 4 hours, but 1 hour was just waiting for the snow to stop dripping in our face...

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Auto
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

I'll probably just get a new one. We do get some really cold temps here, and in December this year we had a week straight of below 0 F temps, including a couple nights where it was around -22. So for $40 I'd like to have it.

What tools should I need? I have a good amount, but if I need something specific I'd like to know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts