Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is a bit of a stupid question, but here goes. In my '02 Forester, when I set the climate control all the way to Cold, but leave the AC button off, it cools the car quite well, even in this recent east coast heat wave! I'm surprised by that. The air coming out of the vents is cold enough to make me think the AC is "on", i.e. the compressor is running. Is that supposed to happen when the AC switch button is off? Not that I'm really complaining or concerned..

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,756 Posts
@GaryGood quick answer, yes... maybe. :icon_eek:

I say "maybe", because of this in our '03 X Owner's Manual, which I don't see in the '02 Owner's Manual:
If your vehicle is equipped with an air conditioner, when the 2 far right positions on the air flow control dial is selected, the air conditioner compressor automatically operates regardless of the position of the air conditioner button to defog the windshield quickly. However, the air conditioner indicator light does not come on at this time.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: SuperRu

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@2.5x_sleeper I confirm, according to my Owner's Manual, the AC should not be on, but as I said, it seems pretty cold.
@NinoS I do have my climate control on defrost (mixed). Can't say why; probably from last time it rained. Next time I go out, I'll try it with defrost off.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,756 Posts
On the '03 onward (manual climate control), if the mode switch is on those last two settings, the A/C will be enabled. Perhaps the '02 does that as well. The '02-'03 was a transition year, so some changes... features may appear on the previous model year? :confused:

I actually preferred the A/C to only operate when it was manually selected. Take a look at this write up in my son's '03 X member Journal:

A simple MOD to disable the A/C when defrost is selected :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the '03 onward (manual climate control), if the mode switch is on those last two settings, the A/C will be enabled. Perhaps the '02 does that as well. The '02-'03 was a transition year, so some changes... features may appear on the previous model year? :confused:

I actually preferred the A/C to only operate when it was manually selected. Take a look at this write up in my son's '03 X member Journal:

A simple MOD to disable the A/C when defrost is selected 😉

Bobby...
I confirm that in my '02 Forester, the AC will be on when either (or both)
  1. The AC button is depressed. In this case the light on the AC button is illuminated.
  2. The climate control is set to Defrost/Defog (either mixed or full). In this case, the light on the AC button is not illuminated, unless it is depressed. The only way to tell AC is on is by the temperature of the air coming through the vents.
Either way there is no dash indicator that AC is on.

The air flow control (Recirc or External) makes no difference to the AC on/off.

The fan speed control (off or on) makes no difference to the AC on/off.

In my own defense, my Subaru Owners Manual makes no mention of these features.

I looked at the thread you referenced to the mod to disable the AC defrost setting. When I get a chance, will pull the bezel off and have a look. In my case, it is a bit different as the radio/CD is below the climate controls.

Thank you once again Bobby. You are the man!

·
Registered
1998 Forester
950 Posts
On almost all cars, if it is in defrost settings, the ac is on

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts