Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Currently in Texas with a rav 4 and retiring to Idaho panhandle has me looking for my first AWD. My last Toyota RAV 4 s have given me 200,000 to 300,000 miles with little to zero break downs. Always bought used 2 years old

Can I reasonably expect the same from a 2 year old Forester. I know there’s no guarantees but past history shows it to be realistic or not realistic

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,124 Posts
Broadly speaking, Toyotas can more likely continue to run despite negligence and lack of regular maintenance longer than Subarus. Making generalizations will always produce errors in specific cases, of course. But a simple Toyota is usually a very reliable vehicle. An AWD vehicle is less simple.

A Subaru that is properly maintained will also be very reliable, but it needs that regular attention. If you’re able to provide that attention yourself, or you will have a good local mechanic familiar with recent Subarus*, then I would feel confident recommending one, especially a 2016-18 Forester, which have been statistically very reliable and, of course great cars.

*This is important; a mechanic who mostly works on F-150s may not be much help with Subaru, which is a rare bird in that vicinity. If you know where you’re moving to, I’d investigate the capabilities of local shops prior to choosing a vehicle.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
Buying new yes. Buying used no.
I would second this, greatly. Even at 2 years, the black sheep Subaru's are starting to "slip out"... Most recently, the issue has been oil consumption. Then there is also the question of CVT reliability.

Noted above also is the question of support network. Toyota will be more forgiving in terms of finding a repair shop or dealer.

BUT, the AWD under a 2017 Foz is likely to outperform a similar issue RAV4. You planning to leave pavement? Are you willing to sacrifice reliability (a little) for better performance?

Me, currently contemplating switching from old Foz to new RAV4. But that decision is driven by fuel mileage performance, and reliability as the sole consideration (I don't off road, but do desire at least basic AWD performance), as well as dealer/aftermarket repair network.

I really love my old Foz. Cannot bring myself to recommend against one. Depends wholly on where you are and what you want to do and your tolerance for Subaru's need to be loved a little more than some others.....

Would NEVER buy a used one again.....

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited Auto
15 Posts
I am on Subaru #7. Each was purchased used, at between 50K and 100K miles. Of the seven, I have done routine maintenance very 3K miles (oil change, brakes, filters, etc etc.). Of the seven I have had to replace 1 alternators (at roughly 100K miles on an Outback Wagon, and at about 130K miles on an Impreza wagon), and 1 master cylinder. That's it. I put about 20K annually on my Subarus - so cumulatively that's about 25 years, or .5 million miles of wear and tear. I do the routine maint. religiously, and accept they leak a little oil. I also drive the hell out of them. Back roads, hiway miles, dirt tracks, etc... that is where I spend time in my Subarus.

Needless to say I'm a fan. And, as a native son of Northern Idaho (Moscow, to be precise) I can say a Subaru is the best choice you can make.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
447 Posts
You said you are interested in 2-year old Subarus. Subaru has the highest resale value of all vehicles. That will work against you as a used buyer.

I love Subarus. The AWD system is superb. Nobody has a better one. However, Subaru is not a Toyota where you just change the oil and get 250,000+ miles out of it. You have to change the oil, change differential (there are 2) fluids, probably should change the expensive CVT fluid, flush and refill the coolant, fight a big battle to change spark plugs, etc. on a schedule. You might need to have carbon blasted off the intake valves if direct injected. None of those things is a huge deal, but it all needs to happen if you want to approach the reliability and longevity of Toyota and Honda.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,929 Posts
@Procraft05 -
Not yet mentioned is the Certified Pre Owned car, which will be less than 3 years old, as they need to be under the original warranty (3years/36k).

This will allow you to get (or be transferred to) a Subaru sponsored extended warranty with gives you essentially a new car warranty.
They are one of the best out there.

As far as buying used, it depends on what you are buying.
A low mileage CPO car with a clean accident check and regular service records is a pretty safe bet for any major repair needs.
The CPO offers everything but the new car depreciation, although resale prices are relatively high, you can still get a good value.

The first question is obviously what do you need and what do you like.

You can get a car that delivers better mileage with a FWD than an AWD, but if you need it, AWD comes in really handy, and Subarus are equipped with a really good one.
I'm on Subaru #6 and all of them have been reliable, but then I also take care of them.
Although a bit quirky, basic maintenance is easily done and can significantly reduce the cost of owning compared to going to a dealer, plus you are less likely to be a victim of bad tech syndrome..

Take a test drive and see if you like the Forester. You may not if you have long legs (my chief complaint), or you may or may not like the car for other reasons.
If you don't like it, how reliable it is doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium
563 Posts
My 2 cents. When I lived in Boise, I was told repeatedly to go to Portland, OR to purchase a new vehicle. Just tuck that away.

You have had very good service from your Toyotas. Keep that in mind.

I rampaged all over the state on dirt roads in a front wheel drive compact car. I like my Soob. I like her Soob. She had Toyota Camrys several times. They were solid cars. Honestly it is a crap shoot. Get what you like and roll the dice.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring cvt
1,081 Posts
Pretty darn good advice already given.

IMO, short answer is: “No”. Stick with the bulletproof Toyota’s. Look at a RAV if you want a small crossover or a Tacoma for a rugged truck. Simple, kind of crude and clunky, but long lasting, and the mpg will not be great.

Stay away from any turbos, CVTs, or Subaru AWD vehicle’s. I have an XT, and it’s good, but it’s touchy compared to a Toyota. Also, one ruined tire will require a new set or a perfect wear match for the old three.

Subaru AWD is superior, but needs more care, as do the vehicles overall.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester
131 Posts
I bought a little Toyota truck just before they came out with the Tacoma.
Paid $6,700 for it brand new.
I put 199,999 miles on it and the damn thing had the original tires on it ( ha ha ).
Sold it for $1000 and regret that every day.

The guy who bought it offered me $999 and I told him to get lost - he found another dollar in his pocket and bought it.

You can't go wrong with either. Bought my first Forester last year (2017) for the wife and I love it...
My kids drive Corollas, ( 2003 and 2004 models that I bought new ) - college kids - so they don't maintain them - but damn if they still ain't running.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
767 Posts
@Procraft05
I would advice against buying 2 years old Forester, especially if you want to keep it for a long time
It is great vehicle but it holds its value unrealistically high for used vehicle.
New Forester + 10 years extended Subaru factory warranty is the best you can get long term, as long as you negotiate good price on both vehicle (-2% from invoice) and get quotes online for extended warranty.
Rav4 has traditional automatic so it may have advantage long term but I would be more concerned about other electronic systems for the next 10 years, even in Toyota. They are very different then 10 years ago...

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,755 Posts
My last Toyota RAV 4 s have given me 200,000 to 300,000 miles with little to zero break downs.

Can I reasonably expect the same from a 2 year old Forester. I know there’s no guarantees but past history shows it to be realistic or not realistic
You can hope and wish but in reality, No.

Depending on how well you would look after the Forester, you might be lucky with no break downs but it is unlikely. I've never had a breakdown with mine but I have had major engine troubles meaning it was off the road for a while (Ended up fitting a new engine)

If you want a great AWD system, get a Subaru, it really is very good. If you want reliability, buy a Toyota.

The Subaru CVT doesn't have enough age or mileage on its side to know how reliable it will be at 150K-250K+ miles. The Direct Injection Subaru engines again, don't have much age or miles on them to get an idea how they will behave north of 150K miles. There's already problems with carbon deposits on some Subaru engines that haven't even hit the 100K mile mark. Toyota found a way around this valve deposit problem and as far as I know, they're the only ones - Sure Subaru will sell you a warranty...But they don't last forever.

There's a video on YouTube comparing the Toyota and BMW approach to engineering the new Supra/Z4 to give you an idea how far Toyota goes in development with regards to component failure and reliability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts