Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the others here that have posted many how-to's and photos of their mods, I decided to get my iPhone mounted.

I used a ProClip mount, with their articulating device holder..the device holder is adjustable so you can leave your iPhone/iPod in a case and still 'dock' it. There is no actual dock interface, just the cable connection. This means I can swap devices without thinking about alignment.
I used a the +USB cable from CableJive which gives you a USB and Line Out from the dock interface. It's not long enough to run through the console to the aux jack and power connection so I extended both with extension patches from CablesToGo. Charging the iPhone seems to be picky about USB extensions so get a good one. Also the Dock Extender cable (which looks like a better option) from CableJive (which I had to return) doesn't work as advertised and won't charge 3GS or 3rd Gen Touch. So be careful if you try to use that instead...looks good, doesn't work.
The ProClip mount lets you swivel also, so if you need to view something in landscape mode you can. It mounts very solid into the vent space, doesn't move at all once installed. A small amount of air flow will still come out the right hand side, but not much.
I ran the cable through the right dash vent down into the center console and then drilled a hole to pass the cables up to the aux and power ports. Taking apart the vents is tricky, to fit the dock cable end through I took the vents out of the frame, and removed the individual vent blades to get the connector through, then carefully put it back together. This means I can still angle the vent even though the mount blocks half of it. I brought the vent assembly inside so the plastic was nice and warm, don't try this in the cold, things will snap. I'm using the Belkin USB power adapter, because it's TINY..fits into the power port and doesn't stick out and take up space.
Thanks to others that have posted their pics and procedures, taking apart the center console etc..was easy, just take you time. I used an old credit card to pop the clips, for the vent area and the center pocket. Three screws and out comes the console. I wrapped my cables together in duct tape folded over to make it bigger..to minimize the chance of rattle. Also make sure to avoid the emergency brake cable..route your cable to the right side.

Next job is to add the smallest AMP I can find, to boost the front door speakers just a bit more. I'm having hard time finding a smaller power amp that isn't huge in size. I'll mount it under the passenger seat, but I don't want something huge.

Anyways, here are some pics.

Attachments

· Registered
09 XT
467 Posts

very nice... I need to know a little more about the RCA jack in you console.

Did you do that or is that factory when you get the NAV?

Mine is an aux input headphone style plug, and I would love to swap it out for a nice clean RCA connection like yours.

· Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It comes with the RCA jacks with Nav... but you could probably get that part and install in the same spot..there are other RCA jacks online you could use that might be smaller without the extra video jack if you don't need it though.

· Registered
09 XT
467 Posts
Thanks for the info... great to know

I will try hunt down an oem plug.

It seems perfect for my needs because I lost the aux function with the new DVD headunit, but with the new deck I did gain a full set of RCA inputs I could run to the console instead of leaving them loose in the glovebox.

What does the backside of the console plug look like... it is just a female set of rcas or is it a special Subaru harness thing?

· Registered
8 Posts
hey mate, just wondering the USB Port in your centre console is that a factory option ? I am from Aus and am looking at ways to add USB or Ipod integration to the factory Kenwood headunit.

Cheers

Tom

· Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey mate, just wondering the USB Port in your centre console is that a factory option ? I am from Aus and am looking at ways to add USB or Ipod integration to the factory Kenwood headunit.

Cheers

Tom
It's a Belkin Micro usb plugin, I use these in all my vehicles for usb power...doesn't stick out of the power port at all..

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts