Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Premium
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After buying my Forester with its truly crappy infotainment center my iPod Classic 80gb player would malfunction. I took it back to the dealer who promptly made it totally inoperable; blames it on my software version being too new!!!! This is a 2014 car w/2011 software requirements. Needless to say I can't find a way to revert or even find ver. 1.1.2 and someway to make iTunes accept it. I'm heated and this will probably mean I sell the car believe it or not.

Anybody have a cure?

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
I'm heated and this will probably mean I sell the car believe it or not.
I believe you not.

Your problem description does not offer anything to go on.

I have a 1st-gen iPod touch running whatever version of iOS 3 that works on that device, and it works fine as a music player attached to the USB port.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Replace the radio? Or have we really reached the point where the factory fitted radio is so built into the dash that it can't be quickly replaced?

-- Steve

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
35 Posts
I may be able to help, but I need some more information.

1. Computer: Mac or PC? What version of iTunes do you have?

2. Forester: Which model, exactly? and have you updated the radio at all?

3. the iPod: I understand it is an 80gb iPod Classic, running firmware version 1.1.2. Is this correct?

Let me know, I'll try to get you sorted out. If the problem is what I think it is, all you have to do is restore your iPod to a previous version of the firmware, and all should be corrected. I can help you get to that point.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
The 2014 OM states the OEM audio system is compatible with the iPod Classic running software V2.0.4 (ref page 5-29). How's your Classic configured?

You may need to downgrade (upgrade?) your Classic's software. I haven't tried this on an iPod, but I did have to temporarily downgrade the software on my Apple TV a while back, and reasonable-looking internet instructions worked fine.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2021 Premium
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2014 OM states the OEM audio system is compatible with the iPod Classic running software V2.0.4 (ref page 5-29). How's your Classic configured?

You may need to downgrade (upgrade?) your Classic's software. I haven't tried this on an iPod, but I did have to temporarily downgrade the software on my Apple TV a while back, and reasonable-looking internet instructions worked fine.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Jim,

I'm running version 1.3 and Subaru tech left a print out stating the iPod (not iTunes) version should be 1.1.2 which is a couple of years ago. Anyway, I ran a scandisk and defraged the iPod w/my laptop and things seem to working OK until something happens like restarting the car while iPod is on that then requires a reset of the iPod (FYI, to reset press "Menu" and the center button for six seconds).

New issue is that I attempted to connect an iPod 4th Gen w/software correct per technicians printout and I get nada. Seems my iPod must have something amiss for the scandisk and defrag to fix it.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I'm running version 1.3 and Subaru tech left a print out stating the iPod (not iTunes) version should be 1.1.2 which is a couple of years ago.
Have you tried V2.0.4 per the manual (page 5-29)?

New issue is that I attempted to connect an iPod 4th Gen w/software correct per technicians printout and I get nada.
What version did the printout suggest? Your OM says to use V4.1 (ref page 5-29).

FWIW, my '12's OM lists V3.1.3 for my 2nd Gen iPod Touch. I'm running V4.2.1 on it, and it works fine on our car radio via the USB port.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
1 Posts
Hi all, I'm new!

I have a 2014 Forester (2.5i PZEV, no internal upgrades), and have enjoyed using my iPod touch through the USB connector, with control through the stereo controls. I enjoyed it so much that I bought an iPod classic 160 GB last night so we could bring our whole music library with us.

And then I plugged the iPod into my PC and noticed that the firmware is 2.0.5...and the Forester owner's manual doesn't list this as being supported, and that there could be a fire risk.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is the fire risk legit? I would just downgrade my firmware, but I don't know if 2.0.4 would work on this iPod (apparently the internal build of the iPod is different from previous models).

Any help would be appreciated before I start plugging things in and damaging the Forester or the iPod.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Touring CVT
826 Posts
Ugh, I updated the OS on my Touch while trying to debug an issue with my daughter's alarm clock and was not surprised at all to find that it would not hook up to my FXT via USB anymore. I was still wicked pissed, just not surprised.
From looking here, it seems like I need to check in the monstrous electronics manual that came with the vehicle and see what versions are supported...since I downloaded the latest and greatest, surely the present OS will not be supported.
Has anybody else gone through this recently with a Touch? Is connecting through Bluetooth an option that will give me decent functionality with the iPod?

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Touring CVT
826 Posts
Ugh, I updated the OS on my Touch while trying to debug an issue with my daughter's alarm clock and was not surprised at all to find that it would not hook up to my FXT via USB anymore. I was still wicked pissed, just not surprised.
From looking here, it seems like I need to check in the monstrous electronics manual that came with the vehicle and see what versions are supported...since I downloaded the latest and greatest, surely the present OS will not be supported.
Has anybody else gone through this recently with a Touch? Is connecting through Bluetooth an option that will give me decent functionality with the iPod?
I took the Touch out of the car while it was being inspected, then noticed that the iPod button was illuminated again after I put it back in. Pressed it and got a screen with no data for a while, then an "iPod Error" message flashed...then music started playing. The song title, album, and artist all seemed to be wrong in different ways, none of them matched the song or each other...stepped through to the next song and things seemed right again. It takes the information a lot longer to update when I'm stepping through random songs now, and sometimes info for a different song will flash briefly before the correct info is displayed.
I have NO idea what is going on...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts