Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the IPOD Interface kit for the 09-10 Foresters? I have a 2010 X with the factory stereo. The Subaru parts listing does not recommend the kit for the X, but only for the Premiums and above tr im levels. I looked at the factory stereo for the Premium and it looks identicle to why I have. Is it possible to use he IPOD kit in my car? And is the IPOD kit really a worth while purchase to begin with?

·
Registered
2010 Forester X
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did consider that option. It's just that I hate to start deleting factory parts at 1500 miles. There are other mods that are much higher on my priority list. My current head unit works fine for now I guess. Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
Living with OEM Nav with iPod option

Carpenter, I'm not an expert on the OEM HU's but having owned my new '10 Ltd since Jan. in hindsight if I had to do over I would not have ordered my car with the OEM Nav setup. But not knowing better when I ordered the car last Oct. After market units are much better. I'm living with it and for the most part it's okay.
I believe the HU must be capable of having satellite connection capability, don't think the basic X models have that. But if it does it's just a matter of obtaining the proper kit for the correct generation iPod (5V vs. 12V charging) and installing it.
There are differences between the '09 & '10's if you go to Subaru Free Publications and look through the iPod install guides it may help.
Sorry couldn't give you a definite answer.

Free Publications > Accessory Installation Guides

·
Registered
2010 Forester X
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That's good to know. I do have a HU capable of Sat. Radio so I must have an upgraded unit. But there seems to be a pattern forming with the aftermarket radio suggestion. Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
Good move to reseach the after market area, I'd start with Crutchfield. If I hadn't already spent $1,800 on the OEM Nav I would have had a nice big order from Crutchfield and been much happier in the long run.
Btw, I love everything else about the Forester.
Good luck with your choices.

·
Registered
10 forester
7 Posts
The difference between the X and the ltd stereos is that the higher ones have a cd changer and satalite radio controls. You need the satalite radio controls to install the ipod interface kit.

That being said, I have the ipod interface kit on my 2010 Forester Limited. It is a pain in the donkey.
1-The sound quality is not that great. A regular cd sounds sounds much better when played on the same unit (and that saying alot becouse the stock stereo is nothing to brag about). This is a secondary problem.
2- The primary problem is that the conrols on the interface are completely not intuative.
Its a real pain trying to find the music you want to listen to, it takes much to long to cycle through the list and that could be dangerous while driving. The interface does not even have a Genre control.
3- It's annoying enough that I simply use the aux input for my ipod. It does not charge it up but at least I find my music instantly.
4- If I had to do it over I would have had the dealer put in a subwoofer instead.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, that puts the nail in the coffin for the interface kit. I was wondering how user friendly it was to use. I guess I got my answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
Try going with n aftermarket Double Din Head Unit.... Some have the iPod interface on them... I have a Clarion DUZ 385-SAT and it has a real user friendly interface

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
25 Posts
Do all Limiteds ('10) come with Nav or is that a further upgrade? Sounds like the factory nav is not that great. If you get a limited without sat/nav--is the console that has the factory radio the right size for after market units?

·
Registered
2010 Forester, Legacy
50 Posts
Do all Limiteds ('10) come with Nav or is that a further upgrade? Sounds like the factory nav is not that great. If you get a limited without sat/nav--is the console that has the factory radio the right size for after market units?
The Limited we test drove did not have NAV, but it does have an upgraded stereo; it has the tweeters, and the head unit is a 6-disc changer.

It's still not super impressive. The Harmon Kardon stereo is nice, because it has an outboard amp.

Edit: BTW thanks Galex for the first-hand experience on the iPod interface, that's just what my wife needs to hear.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
35 Posts
... I'm considering buying a Double DIN head unit that will take SD cards. That way I can just pop in a 32GB SD card and be set. No dinking around with an Ipod, USB Interface, Aux IN, etc.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts