Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XPremium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I just purchased a new Forester 2010 2.5X Premium that came with the ipod interface already. I have tried it with my ipod and even after looking over the mini guide that was given I still have no idea how to work it. Can anyone please help me and tell me what to press and when.
Thank you

·
Registered
2009 Forester
7 Posts
make sure you've selected "sat" on your stereo, as that's the input it plays through.

then:

question 1: are you sure your ipod firmware is compatible?

question 2: when you plug the connector into the ipod does the stereo readout say "attached"? if not, it is not installed properly and that's your problem.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XPremium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes its the correct firmware and it does read attached. the problem I have is that I do not know which numbers to press and when to get the music I want. What I do now is take the ipod off the plug, find the song or artist and plug it back in but I want to learn how to use the interface correctly.

·
Registered
Forester Premium
13 Posts
Hi, Lifeisabeach -

I just got the ipod interface myself - and this may not be the answer that you're looking for - but what I plan to do, after reading that booklet several times too :) - is go back to the dealer. They told me, just come on in and we'll have our "ipod guy" spend about 10 minutes with you. Anyhow, just a thought for you - I know how frustrating this can be. My DVD player is still flashing 12:00 :) Good luck to you and many happy hours in your Foz.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
7 Posts
yes its the correct firmware and it does read attached. the problem I have is that I do not know which numbers to press and when to get the music I want. What I do now is take the ipod off the plug, find the song or artist and plug it back in but I want to learn how to use the interface correctly.
after attaching it, press the "2" button. this takes you to the playlists interface. the first playlist displayed will be the name of your ipod (the interface treats your ipod as one giant playlist as well). if like me you listen to music through playlists just scroll through the list using the up/down arrows till you find the one you want. don't be in a hurry as the response of the interface to button presses is a little slow.

if you'd rather select an artist, first go to the playlists and select the name of your ipod. then press 3. this will take you to a list of all the artists in that playlist (in this case in your whole ipod). scroll through again to find the one you want.

to select an album by the artist, after selecting the artist as above press 4. this will display all albums by that artist in that playlist. etc..

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
It's a terrible interface, but it will work as the last poster provided.
It's easier if you create some playlists on your ipod with short names, b/c the stereo display in the Forester has limited characters.

You have to follow the hierarchy of selecting a playlist first, then artist, then album. To advance to a song within the selected playlist, use the up or down arrows on the steering wheel (or turn the tuner dial on the stereo to advance the track).

To choose your playlist: push 2, then PTY/CAT, then up or down to select the playlist you want. You can stop here and let the playlist play and advance through the tracks using tuner knob.

Or to choose an artist, push 3, then PTY/CAT, then up or down arrows.
You can stop here and let all the tracks by that artist play,

Or to narrow it down by album, push 4, then PTY/CAT, then up or down arrows to choose the album.

It's confusing. Give it a day or 2 and you'll get it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
7 Posts
Or to choose an artist, push 3, then PTY/CAT, then up or down arrows.
You can stop here and let all the tracks by that artist play,

Or to narrow it down by album, push 4, then PTY/CAT, then up or down arrows to choose the album.

It's confusing. Give it a day or 2 and you'll get it.

thanks for adding the important pty/cat part which i forgot to mention. i would just add that the two above steps will only display artists and albums within the current playlist. so if you have a playlist selected other than the one that represents your entire ipod library you will not be able to see all artists and albums.

it is indeed not at all intuitive as an interface--but you'll get the hang of it, and it is worth it to be able to charge the ipod simultaneously, and to be able to control volume and track selection through the steering wheel controls. with all its flaws i think it is a better and safer alternative to connecting via the aux jack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts