Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 forester tour 2.0XT turbo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today for the FIRST time waze worked, came through the radio, after directions it went back to playing the radio. Halfway through my travels it stop working. The issue is it does not work in my car. Last week the sales person try to fix it, he could get it to work through the radio but I had to give up listening to music. It seems the only way I can use waze, it cannot be connected by the USB wire and I have to listen to it through my iphone. Yesterday I was willing to give up listening to my music so I could hear the direction through the radio, now it won't even do that. Does anyone have an issue using their iPhone & Waze? Phone is up to date, we already updated radio but he wants me to bring it back again and try another update on radio. thanks

·
Registered
2015 XT-P
635 Posts
my Iphone 6s works fine on waze, as did my iphone 5, or any music app with the factory radio in my 15 XT-P. Waze gives it directions through the radio, interrupting whatever is playing and gives the radio back to the music. Sometimes the volume is low or high, possibly depending maybe on the phones volume setting, but not sure. Sometimes I must manually connect (settings, bluetooth, connect) the phones bluetooth to the cars radio. Sometimes I get it to connect by turning the radio off by moving the key to start while in gear and when it powers back up it works, for whatever reason. Our Camry usually works much more seamlessly, as well as it switches between our phones, the Subaru won't switch phones without more complexity than I will deal with, so I have a Jabra visor bluetooth for when my wife drives the Subaru and needs her phone to work. I thought Subaru used a better radio on newer models or pleather seat models.

Why can't I name the cars bluetooth in the phone settings be something more descriptive than car kit, car multimedia, or carm_media? Come on Apple, I can't remember which name goes with which car. A little renaming option please.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called Subaru today, I can't believe they are that far behind in technology, compare to other cars. It will work, but it will not switch back to the radio, you either get to listen to the radio and have no directions or get directions and no radio. My son and daughter in law have different and older cars and they do not have carplay, but yet theirs works with no problems.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
I called Subaru today, I can't believe they are that far behind in technology, compare to other cars. It will work, but it will not switch back to the radio, you either get to listen to the radio and have no directions or get directions and no radio. My son and daughter in law have different and older cars and they do not have carplay, but yet theirs works with no problems.
I call bs on this. Yes, it may be happening to you but it functions just fine on my MY19 Sport with Option Code 24.

I start subie and plug in iPhone 7. I use the 3ft Anker Power+ 2 cable. Unit recognizes my phone and phone app Aha also asks if I want to connect; I obliviously say yes.
From there I select Waze and plug in or select my destination from the Favorites list. Waze will calculate and start directions with audio coming through speakers. I then adjust volume at that point.
** I then switch back to radio or XM radio to listen to my tunes. Last step is to select Apple Play and Waze app; the directions are once again on your screen and your radio/XM tunes are still playing. If Waze says anything it will temporarily override the music and play the directions. ** :thumbsup:

Edit: I also just saw that yours is a 2018 Foz. That could be a reason too. So maybe not so much bs as I originally stated lol. :catfight:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
correct I have the 2018 which doesn't have Apple play. Its disappointing because I love Waze, my children can even use waze without apple play in their cars.

·
Registered
2015 XT-P
635 Posts
I called Subaru today, I can't believe they are that far behind in technology, compare to other cars. It will work, but it will not switch back to the radio, you either get to listen to the radio and have no directions or get directions and no radio.
Surprising because with my 2015 XT premium, which has the cheaper radio compared to the XT Touring, waze will interrupt the radio, CD, USB, or bluetooth music. Then after Waze speaks, it returns to whatever you were listening to. That works about 80% of the time. Other times I need to fool with the phone bluetooth setting or power off the radio with the key to reset it. Having another bluetooth device in your wagon may send the waze signal to your headset instead of the radio. Turning the radio off with the volume/power knob doesn't work. You don't identify your model, is it the premium or touring XT, they probably still have different sound systems like my 2015 model year did. Perhaps a trip to your salesperson to set up and demonstrate how your newer sound system works would be in order.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the 2018 touring 2.0XT. It is the only bluetooth device in the car. I did make a trip to my salesperson twice. 2nd time he sent out another guy who was more knowledgeable. I was there for over 2.5 hours he tried everything. Still came down to if waze is connected through radio, I can't listen to the radio, if listening to radio can't use waze.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts