Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because i really like my iPhone and do everything with that gadget, it must be a part of my Forester too. So i decided to pickup the iPhone TomTom carkit and placed it in the middle console. This is an absolute brilliant place in my opinion, not that visible for thieves and fully reachable when driving. It's also a Handsfree carkit with a bluetooth connection, it charged the iPhone, i can navigate and it played the music through my stereo via the Aux input.
I placed the wires in the compartment between the front seats. The only problem was a litlle noise, but this was solved by placing a GROUNDLOOP ISOLATOR WITH 3.5MM MINI EARPHONE PLUG JACK between the Aux-in and the iPhone and now it's perfect.

I also added a PLX Kiwi adapter to play with all kind of Gauges, Skid Pad, Graphs, Engine Check and more... which are available through the OBDII i.c.w. the software from Dev Toaster, Rev 2.0, this is especially made for the iPhone / iPod Touch.

Pictures are comming....

Theo

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As promised....the pictures!!

iPhone TomTom carkit
iPhone TomTom houder.jpg

iPhone with TomTom
iPhone met TomTom.jpg

iPhone in TomTom carkit
iPhone in TT houder.jpg

Rev 2.0 software with the Forester information
iPhone auto gegevens via PLX.jpg

iPhone with Gauges from Rev 2.0
iPhone met meters.jpg

iPhone and (hidden) PLX device
iPhone en PLX device.jpg

Theo

·
Registered
2010 Forester
13 Posts
I Like it!!

I have been tossing up whether to get one of the Tomtom Cradles. With my new FX on the way, I might just get one. Only problem is the iphone itself. When you turn it sideways, the ipod display changes to the coverflow style - which I don't like.

That and my iphone doesn't fit into the cradle with its cover on.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
I placed the wires in the compartment between the front seats. The only problem was a litlle noise, but this was solved by placing a GROUNDLOOP ISOLATOR WITH 3.5MM MINI EARPHONE PLUG JACK between the Aux-in and the iPhone and now it's perfect.

I also added a PLX Kiwi adapter to play with all kind of Gauges, Skid Pad, Graphs, Engine Check and more... which are available through the OBDII i.c.w. the software from Dev Toaster, Rev 2.0, this is especially made for the iPhone / iPod Touch.

Pictures are comming....

Theo
Hi - great iPhone setup!! I´ve been considering placing my Garmin in the same location, on a RAM Mount. Having seem your setup, I feel like following your lead and getting the iPhone carkit. One question: How is your satelite reception with the receiver so "deep" into the cockpit? Will it work – even in narrow city streets and forest roads?

The cable from the iPhone to the minijack – did you buy that complete somewhere, or did you make it?

All The Best,
Martin in Denmark

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Like it!!

I have been tossing up whether to get one of the Tomtom Cradles. With my new FX on the way, I might just get one. Only problem is the iphone itself. When you turn it sideways, the ipod display changes to the coverflow style - which I don't like.

That and my iphone doesn't fit into the cradle with its cover on.
I do like the coverflow album style, i only miss the option of getting back for searching an artist or so! I swap my cradle for an Sena Kutu-sleeve, this is brilliant. Protect very well, is slim, pull it out and you feel the iPhone how it should be, without the case!!

Theo

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I don't mean to pop anyones bubble, but......

The TomTom unit has its own GPS receiver (whereas the iPhone has an A-GPS setup (tower triangulation). To work, GPS receivers need to be mounted where they can "see" the sky (like traditional GPS systems). That's why it's made to mount on the windshield or on top of the dash. I would think mounting the unit under the dash like that would render the actual built-in GPS useless, and you're really only using the iPhone's A-GPS.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi - great iPhone setup!! I´ve been considering placing my Garmin in the same location, on a RAM Mount. Having seem your setup, I feel like following your lead and getting the iPhone car kit. One question: How is your satellite reception with the receiver so "deep" into the cockpit? Will it work – even in narrow city streets and forest roads?

The cable from the iPhone to the mini jack – did you buy that complete somewhere, or did you make it?

All The Best,
Martin in Denmark
Hi Martin, i don't know about the Garmin, but my TomTom dock has an extra GPS chip built-in, so the satelite reception works perfect with my iPhone setup in this "deep" place, no problem at all. I just bought a mini jack cable with a one sided angled, you can find it anywhere (on the internet).
And if in your setup the little noise also appears when using the cigarette lighter and the Aux together, you must buy the GROUNDLOOP ISOLATOR WITH 3.5MM MINI EARPHONE PLUG JACK and put it between the Aux-in and the iPhone and now it's perfect.

Theo

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Tokheim –*I am not sure what magical version of the iPhone you´ve got there, but I have tested your mounting on my car, with three different iPhones ( 3G and 3GS) and the Tomtom Carkit, and there is no way they will get a reliable GPS signal where you have mounted your iPhone.

With the sunroof open I got a signal, but very unreliable with lots of fall-outs. With the sunroof shut, the signal dies.
Out in the middle of the car, between the front seats, the signal returns –*but it is still slow to update.
The only place for a consistent, reliable GPS lock –*is on the dash / in the window.

I ran the test with three Garmins, as well – a 60CSx, Nüvi 760 and 860, all with significantly better performance than the iPhone.

I have now ordered three different mounts from RAM®. I am really excited to try their 12" gooseneck. If that does what it says on the box, it will give me a lot of flexibility and an option to switch between different GPS, Phone and camera units.

Martin

·
Registered
2010 Forester
13 Posts
I don't mean to pop anyones bubble, but......

The TomTom unit has its own GPS receiver (whereas the iPhone has an A-GPS setup (tower triangulation). To work, GPS receivers need to be mounted where they can "see" the sky (like traditional GPS systems). That's why it's made to mount on the windshield or on top of the dash. I would think mounting the unit under the dash like that would render the actual built-in GPS useless, and you're really only using the iPhone's A-GPS.
A-GPS means assisted GPS. The iphone has a real GPS chip that receives data from satellites. But it also receives data from cell towers. Yes this is some positioning data, but also GPS almanac data, which helps it get a better TTFF (time to first fix) of satellites. It's worth noting that the iphone GPS will still work when NOT in cellphone coverage. It's just not as sensitive as a Garmin or Tomtom. Or the GPS chip in the Tomtom iphone car cradle.

Oh, and i've tested this position with my wife's 3 year old Tomtom and it picks up satellites just fine. Probably because most of the dash above it is plastic!

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
It's worth noting that the iphone GPS will still work when NOT in cellphone coverage. It's just not as sensitive as a Garmin or Tomtom. Or the GPS chip in the Tomtom iphone car cradle.

Oh, and i've tested this position with my wife's 3 year old Tomtom and it picks up satellites just fine. Probably because most of the dash above it is plastic!
Yup - that´s right. After testing I came up with the same conclusion –*the Garmin would work down on the center console –*but no chance with the iPhone..... "car kit" or not.

I ended up buying parts from RAM Mounts –*with a 12" flexible rod, putting the iPhone or Garmin right at the top of the dashboard edge –*perfect for GPS reception and well within sight for operation. Not taking up space in the window, and not to low in the car, for safety reasons.

M

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tokheim –*I am not sure what magical version of the iPhone you´ve got there, but I have tested your mounting on my car, with three different iPhones ( 3G and 3GS) and the Tomtom Carkit, and there is no way they will get a reliable GPS signal where you have mounted your iPhone.
Martin
Sorry to hear this, but there's nothing magical at my iPhone 3GS. Well at least in my opinion, but it does work superb in my Subbie and also in that particular place!! I use TomTom and Navigon, both works excelent. Mayby Europe is closer to the satellite's, i don't have that technical background as
some who gave explanation, so i'm still learnig.

Theo

·
Registered
2010 Forester
13 Posts
Mounting a GPS here

This idea inspired me. But I wanted to make a more permanent mounting solution for my GPS. I didn't go for the Tomtom iphone car kit, as I didn't want to be taking my iphone's cover off each time I got in the car. Instead I bought a plain old Tomtom dedicated GPS and mounted it here. Pics are here:

h t t p://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14089

(still not trusted to post URLs until I have 15 posts under my belt!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts