Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.5 X L.L. Bean Ed
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a stock dash 2006 forester. What I want to do is integrate my iphone into my car without adding all kinds of cords and cables. Here is my "goal."

I want to be able to "dock" the iphone with one connection plugged into the apple proprietary connection on the bottom of the iphone. That connection will power my phone and charge it and also send all the audio from any apps through my car stereo system. I also want to have a hands free microphone attached so I can make calls.

Here is what I have planed so far:

I have a stock dash and in dash 6 disc cd changer so first I will need a way to transmit the audio to my deck (without buying a new deck). For this I plan to use an FM modulator (Scosche FM-MOD02]). That modulator has the option to use an RCA connection or plug in a AUX in (that connects to the modulator via RCA). I found a cord on amazon that is rca to apple proprietary connection. I think that will provide power to the iphone since the modulator has a 12v power source and a ground. In case there is any noise issues with the rca sending power and audio i can always throw on a noise isolator.

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to integrate the mic without using an additional cord into the headphone jack of the iphone.

Any ideas or reasons why this plan wouldn't work? Anyone done something like this?

I would have posted direct links to products but I cant apparently. Here are the model numbers of the products I was talking about:

FM Modulator: Scosche FM-MOD02
RCA to Apple Cable: iSimple IS75
Noise Isolator: PAC SNI1 Noise Isolator

Thanks in advance,
ATLForester

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
You need a power adapter for the iphone that also has a line out jack. Then get a 1/8 jack to rca adapter and plug that into the modulator. I have mine setup with a car power adapter for my ipod with a line out jack, and then a cable going to my aux in on my headunit, with all the wires hidden under the center console (only the end of the cable with the ipod connector sticks out).

For the mic, your best bet would be a bluetooth model.

·
Registered
2006 2.5 X L.L. Bean Ed
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need a power adapter for the iphone that also has a line out jack. Then get a 1/8 jack to rca adapter and plug that into the modulator. I have mine setup with a car power adapter for my ipod with a line out jack, and then a cable going to my aux in on my headunit, with all the wires hidden under the center console (only the end of the cable with the ipod connector sticks out).
That just sounds like another way of doing what I was planning on doing except all of the iphone power adapters that have a line out jack are around $100.00.

I *think* I can power the phone using the rca to apple jack via the fm modulator. Your idea is a good backup if that doesn't work.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Yeah it kind of sucks, when the ipods were firewire only there were a bunch of good power adapter with lineout. However most of the new cheap ones are just a USB cable with a usb power adapter so they don't bother adding a line out jack. Unfortunately the one I have won't power the newer iphones anyway!

That iphone to RCA cable only has audio lines, no power input (so it won't charge with that cable). The fm modulator only powers itself, it doesn't have any outputs.

You could also get a cheap iphone power adapter, and then use a cable that has a headphone plug on one end and rca connectors on the other with the headphone jack on the phone. However then you have 2 cables going to the phone.

·
Registered
2006 2.5 X L.L. Bean Ed
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have found a few ipod rca cables that have a ground and power line on them, but I don't know if that is compatible with the iphone 3gs (what I have).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like FunkyMonkey said, you're going to need a standard ipod/iphone plug that has mic-in, line-out (both left and right channels), and the 5V USB and ground plugs as well. This might be difficult to find, since most of these docks will have just the USB related pins, or the line-in and power but not microphone. The microphone might be best solved by just plugging in a 4-way 3.5mm plug, as in the headphones with the microphone integrated (you'll see 4 bands instead of the traditional 3). You might be able to get an iphone plug with line-out and power by taking apart one of those ihome stereos or something along those lines.

To get audio through the stereo system, you can follow my guide linked above, except use the left and right line-out channels from the dock plug you use. To get the 5V USB power, you're going to have to use a voltage regulator IC to tamp down the 12V power used on the radio. Use an LM723. They're pretty easy to wire up. You'll have to get some resistors to set the output voltage, and that 120pF ceramic capacitor. They should have the formula for calculating resistance in the datasheet.

So once you get the voltage regulator set up, just patch that in to the +5V USB pin, and set up the audio as I did. And again, for the microphone support, I would use the 4-band 3.5mm jack and use an external microphone patched into that.

Hope that helps!

"Smudge"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts