Had to resort to using my computer to get any form of Reply method I recognized. Yay!
My cable is, well, was, an iphone brand-name OEM cable. I used it without event in my old car from around the time I bought my first iphone in August 2017 to July 2018, which is when I bought my Forester. I used it once or twice in my Forester before last night's burning episode.
I started up my car, the USB end was already in the USB port, I think. I then plugged in the phone (lightening) end of the iphone-brand cable into my iphone, and placed the iphone on the passenger seat. I then soon heard a sound like a plastic bottle pop/crunch, then soon afterward, even before I moved the car, smelled burning. I opened the console and at first it seemed the smell was coming from there, but I later realized the smell was coming from the phone area. I quickly took the cables out of both the phone and console ports. I later saw the cable. See attached. The label on it was my reminder that I had given the corresponding car charger to the buyer of my old car.
The problem might lie with the charger you were using, rather than the cable. If the charger was putting out more than the recommended current, the cable could overheat and fail. You're actually fortunate it didn't take your iPhone with it.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I had my iphone cable plugged directly into the Subaru Forester 2.5i's USB port inside the armrest console. I wasn't using a charger; at least what I think of when I think of a charger; when I think of a charger I think of a USB unit that plugs into a cigarette lighter.
When I was shopping for a Subaru, I asked the rep where I would plug in my phone for charging and she had pointed to the USB ports in the armrest console. And from reading the User Manual, there's no indication that those USB ports are not intended for use in charging; there's mention of plugging in "USB devices."
I'll be finding out when I bring the car in to Subaru on Monday to find out what happened. I'd like to stand there and watch them search for the fuse to show me it at least blew and perhaps helped stopped the current flow quickly enough to prevent a total fire.
Yes, the lettering is my label I had put on my iphone cable to remind me not to look for the charger; the charger went to the new owner of my old car. The fact that I had wrapped a label around the cable has no bearing on why it burned up, I'm quite confident, especially after hearing from people in the electronics industry.