Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
600 Posts
Quality cable or the often used generic and subpar quality Iphone cable?
By generic, do you mean the engineered, designed and manufactured by Apple one?

As that is the one I see most “often” used, but it certainly wouldn’t fit any English definition of “generic”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had to resort to using my computer to get any form of Reply method I recognized. Yay!

My cable is, well, was, an iphone brand-name OEM cable. I used it without event in my old car from around the time I bought my first iphone in August 2017 to July 2018, which is when I bought my Forester. I used it once or twice in my Forester before last night's burning episode.

I started up my car, the USB end was already in the USB port, I think. I then plugged in the phone (lightening) end of the iphone-brand cable into my iphone, and placed the iphone on the passenger seat. I then soon heard a sound like a plastic bottle pop/crunch, then soon afterward, even before I moved the car, smelled burning. I opened the console and at first it seemed the smell was coming from there, but I later realized the smell was coming from the phone area. I quickly took the cables out of both the phone and console ports. I later saw the cable. See attached. The label on it was my reminder that I had given the corresponding car charger to the buyer of my old car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
251 Posts
The problem might lie with the charger you were using, rather than the cable. If the charger was putting out more than the recommended current, the cable could overheat and fail. You're actually fortunate it didn't take your iPhone with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I had my iphone cable plugged directly into the Subaru Forester 2.5i's USB port inside the armrest console. I wasn't using a charger; at least what I think of when I think of a charger; when I think of a charger I think of a USB unit that plugs into a cigarette lighter.

When I was shopping for a Subaru, I asked the rep where I would plug in my phone for charging and she had pointed to the USB ports in the armrest console. And from reading the User Manual, there's no indication that those USB ports are not intended for use in charging; there's mention of plugging in "USB devices."

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
251 Posts
Good to know. I assumed you were using a cigarette lighter/plug charger. I wonder what the current coming out of those USB ports is?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be finding out when I bring the car in to Subaru on Monday to find out what happened. I'd like to stand there and watch them search for the fuse to show me it at least blew and perhaps helped stopped the current flow quickly enough to prevent a total fire.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
324 Posts
@alysenet I bought my Iphone early in 2017, and my OEM USB/lightning cord is different. Mine has no black letters like on yours. Are you sure that is OEM, out of the original Apple box?

Just re-read your post. So maybe that is that your label?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the lettering is my label I had put on my iphone cable to remind me not to look for the charger; the charger went to the new owner of my old car. The fact that I had wrapped a label around the cable has no bearing on why it burned up, I'm quite confident, especially after hearing from people in the electronics industry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts