Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2013 WRX hatchback 5mt
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt know exactly where to post this, but wanted to get some feedback on an issue:

Customer bought an Invidia V3 downpipe from us (brand new) for his 2009 OBXT (automatic). We installed it and did the stage 2 map (pre loaded Cobb AP version).

less than 2 miles down the road, the turbo blows and the dash lights up like a christmas tree.

bring it back to the dealership, take it apart and find that the part that inserts into the turbo that splits the downpipe/waste gate was made too long and blocked the wastegate arm from opening, causing the turbo to go (and we think possible the TMIC as well). We have picture proof and the DTC print out to show what happened. Invidia (aka JetWorld) is only offering a downpipe replacement, but not anything to do with the turbo itself even though it was obviously a bad downpipe build and nothing was included with the downpipe to even hint that we may have to make adjustments on the downpipe before installation for correct fitment.

We have used Invidia for a long time - I used it on 3 of my 4 turbo Subaru vehicles and this is the first issue, but does not seem to holding to the damage that their product caused. If the engine blew up from hot rodding or something, I could understand that, but this was a misformed downpipe not by anyone except the builder.

when I called them at first, the guy on the phone even said, oh yeah, some of them have to be trimmed because they are too long when built.

If this is a known issue, why not have them built better/differently from the start??? or at least have a big orange sticker on the pipe when you take it from the box to check for it?

thoughts, comments, etc.

-- we did order the turbo and needed parts to get the vehicle back running for the customer so that the customer will not be without his vehicle and gave him a vehicle to drive in the meantime.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I've heard about this issue a number of times. Why would they make something that doesn't fit, seems like its something that should have been caught early in development...

I dont get the divorced wastegate pipes like that, either go bellmouth or EWG.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
That is rediculous. Faulty products that are obviously responsible for significant engine damage should be covered by the manufacturer.
It's not as though the downpipe can be installed incorrectly making it the installer's fault for the damage, I mean those bolts only line up in one possible orientation. I'd press the issue more with them until somebody is willing to pay at least part of the repair bill.

I'm glad as heck that my divorced downpipe isn't blocking the wastegate from opening...

·
Registered
2013 WRX hatchback 5mt
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They are terrible to try to get on the phone and even harder to get to call you back. now they don't stand behind their product either after they claim on their website (under contacts) that they stand behind their products 100%

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport
119 Posts
WoW! i was actually thinking of getting the Invidia DP too...but I too heard and read stories of it not allowing the wastegate flap from opening all the way... that's why i'm leaning towards getting a open bellmouth...

I would try contacting the owners of Invidia rather than talking to their customer sales people, let them know that your a long time user of their products. If this was a known issue they should not be selling it. I would tell them they should at least cover the cost. I would think that since your a Subaru dealer that your mechanics know what they are doing, so they can't really say that it wasn't installed by professionals. If they don't want to cover it, file a complaint with the better business bureau and threaten for a lawsuit...may be that will open their eyes! Word of mouth on the forums can also definitely hurt their business too....

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
WoW! i was actually thinking of getting the Invidia DP too...but I too heard and read stories of it not allowing the wastegate flap from opening all the way... that's why i'm leaning towards getting a open bellmouth...

I would try contacting the owners of Invidia rather than talking to their customer sales people, let them know that your a long time user of their products. If this was a known issue they should not be selling it. I would tell them they should at least cover the cost. I would think that since your a Subaru dealer that your mechanics know what they are doing, so they can't really say that it wasn't installed by professionals. If they don't want to cover it, file a complaint with the better business bureau and threaten for a lawsuit...may be that will open their eyes! Word of mouth on the forums can also definitely hurt their business too....
The problem is that invidia is a foreign company and invidia usa is merely an importer of the product (jetworld). Have you tried contacting someone higher up at jetworld rather than one of the invidia people?

·
Registered
2013 WRX hatchback 5mt
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem is that invidia is a foreign company and invidia usa is merely an importer of the product (jetworld). Have you tried contacting someone higher up at jetworld rather than one of the invidia people?
I have only spoken with Jetworld. I never contacted invidia usa. I was given the phone number for jetworld and spoken with them (bernard).

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
:mob: I'm finding that when dealing with aftermarket product suppliers, they are like snake oil salesmen. Very available at the point of sale, a shadowy ninja when you need some help...

Too bad.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
I don't quite get this, the splitter should go to the internal of the turbo and make a near seal, if you have to trim it to stop it fouling the WG disc won't it leak, making the whole point of the divorced pipework pointless?

Sounds like they are wriggling, they know they have a dodgy product and don't tell you, selling you a part not fit for purpose, not sure of US protocal but in the UK I would write them a letter headed "Notice before action" (legal action that is) you soon wake them up that way.....after all they would loose, especially if you can show they knew they had a problem!

Simon

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I don't quite get this, the splitter should go to the internal of the turbo and make a near seal, if you have to trim it to stop it fouling the WG disc won't it leak, making the whole point of the divorced pipework pointless?
I have yet to see a divorced wastegate design that looks right. Most of them seem to just do it with 2 pipes coming off a blank plate to save money over casting a bellmouth piece. I would think the only way to do a divorced DP correctly would be to attach a divider directly to the turbo and then make that seal with 2 pipes on the DP, but at that point doesn't it just make more sense to go with an EWG setup?

·
Registered
2013 WRX hatchback 5mt
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2005 FXT
87 Posts
That's insane that they will not cover anything other than the downpipe. It makes me less inclined to recommend/use their products.
I've quickly found that dealing with the larger aftermarket companies you tend to get better results if you were to have an issue.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
I have yet to see a divorced wastegate design that looks right. Most of them seem to just do it with 2 pipes coming off a blank plate to save money over casting a bellmouth piece.
Divocred with flat plate, is, as you say, pointless. The Prodrive divorced has a splitter into the turbine housing to seperate the flows (not least as the divorced bypasses the cat!) and seems to work OK.

Invidia clearly have a problem, if everyone made a claim I can see the importer folding!

Simon

·
Registered
03 Impreza WRX Wagon
19 Posts
I would tell them that you are a member of multiple subaru forums and if they fix this issue you would give them a good name and if they don't well........ I guess subaruforester, nasioc, iwsti, clubwrx, dirtyimpreza, and any other message boards will know. Check and see if they are a vendor on nasioc. There is a vendor review section. I had a problem with slow boy racing and i started to complain on nasioc and they (slowboy) took care of my problem right away.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
407 Posts
If this is a common issue, someone should make it a point to make it VERY public info, that way if someone buys one, they can check the WG action to make sure it isnt causing an issue before they start driving the car around (all you need to do is remove the little E clip that holds the actuator on the arm and move the arm back and forth by hand to check for binding. It should swing freely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts