Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! New to the forum as well as to the Subaru/Subaru Forester world. I currently drive a Mazda CX-5 but my lease is up in May and as I've been doing car research, I've really fallen in love with the 2019 Forester and have stumbled upon this forum several times in doing my research, so I figure I may as well get a head start and join before I even buy my Forester!

I do have a few questions to ask, but want to make sure I ask them in the right threads, so if anyone can point me to the right threads or tell me if I should just start a new one, that'd be greatly appreciated!

Questions include:
  • Differences in trim levels
  • S/I driving mode differences between Sport and Limited trims
  • Is the acceleration as weak as I have heard it is? Coming from my quick and peppy CX-5, this is a small concern of mine...

Thank you all in advance and looking forward to joining the world of loyal Subaru lovers!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,547 Posts
@etroyan4

Question 1: The Subaru website is probably your best resource to get this information. A visit to a dealership would also be advised.

Questions 2 & 3: Your best resource here is a test drive, since these items are differentiated by the previous experience of the driver. However, the difference between S/I is uniform across the product line, at least as far as I know...I’m not aware of any tuning differences... so, better to experience it for yourself.

I’m not trying to give you a short-shrift answer, but so much of this is open to personal interpretation...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regarding the S/I drive modes.

The Sport trim comes with S-Sharp (S#) mode while the Limited comes with the Standard S mode.

See the attached pictures for differences.

Thanks! So then is the S# mode more powerful than the standard S mode, in your opinion? I love the sport trim but also want leather seats and unfortunately they don't give you leather as an option :/

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was deciding between the Sport and the Limited as well.

The S# mode will give you a bit more launch/acceleration power as the RPM band is steeper.

To me it came down to the following features:

Sport:
- S#
- Paddle Shifters
- Black wheels
- Black Grill
- LED Fog lights
- Orange accented interior (I liked the look at first, but I feared I would grow tired of it)
- Orange accents on exterior

Limited:
- Leather interior
- Steering responsive headlights (SRH)
- Heated steering wheel (Optional) (I have it and I love it)
- Dual zone climate control (it seems my wife always wants the opposite temp I do)
- Blind spot detection

The biggest factor for me was the leather interior. It just felt MUCH more premium to sit in, touch, and use vs the cloth interior of the Sport. The sport had the nicer exterior look with the blacked out wheels, front grill and rear window surround. In a perfect world, I'd love to have the exterior look of the Sport with the leather interior and extra features of the Limited.

That being said, I love my Limited so far. No regrets.

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
137 Posts
Thanks! So then is the S# mode more powerful than the standard S mode, in your opinion? I love the sport trim but also want leather seats and unfortunately they don't give you leather as an option :/
I added Katzkin leather seats to my previous car - a 2013 Accord. I think they ran about $1300 front and back and they held up extremely well for 6.5 years/125K miles.

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,297 Posts
Yes, Motor Trend says the accelleration is weak, and the suspension is crap, see the current issue.
Get the new Mazda CX5 with the turbo option.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
315 Posts
Yes, Motor Trend says the accelleration is weak, and the suspension is crap, see the current issue.
Get the new Mazda CX5 with the turbo option.
I posted this in another thread, but it pertains to this one, too.

Keep in mind Motor Trend chose these as their Car of the Year:

1971 - Chevrolet Vega
1978 - Dodge Omni
1981 - Chrysler K Cars (Plymouth Reliant)
1983 - Renault Alliance
2001 - Chrysler PT Cruiser

I don't think I would hold every one of their opinions in high esteem. Just sayin'.

If Motor Trend is your beacon in life, maybe you should find a used one of these gems. :wink2:

We love our '19 Forester (base). Plenty of power, averaging 28-30 MPG, quiet, comfortable, roomy, etc etc. It's our first Subaru.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,547 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but it pertains to this one, too.

Keep in mind Motor Trend chose these as their Car of the Year:

1971 - Chevrolet Vega
1978 - Dodge Omni
1981 - Chrysler K Cars (Plymouth Reliant)
1983 - Renault Alliance
2001 - Chrysler PT Cruiser

I don't think I would hold every one of their opinions in high esteem. Just sayin'.

If Motor Trend is your beacon in life, maybe you should find a used one of these gems. :wink2:

We love our '19 Forester (base). Plenty of power, averaging 28-30 MPG, quiet, comfortable, roomy, etc etc. It's our first Subaru.

I agree... at best, making predictions on the success of a new vehicle model or design is always touchy, at best.

If power is the number one objective in the selection of a vehicle, then just pass by the 2019 Forester.

OTOH, if you’re looking for a well-balanced vehicle with adequate power, that offers nicely equipped model options, rides and drives well with decent fuel economy, then take a look at the Forester.

It all boils down to what you want in your vehicle...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not buying a Forester so I can accelerate fast from a red light or quickly blast past someone on the highway. If those were my priorities I'd be buying a different car.

I'm buying a Forester because of it's cargo size, feel, AWD, reasonable mpg, safety, and tech/creature comforts.

I echo the points raised that the car magazine guys are the types of guys that get excited about an incredibly ugly muscle car because of power and the way it makes them feel tingly (while simultaneously hating on electric cars that have superior acceleration!). Don't go to aging meatheads for car reviews, they have a completely different perspective than average, reasonable people.

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,297 Posts
Are all the car magazines wrong this year?
Has anyone given the 2019 Forester top place yet?
Previous Foresters have won awards.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,547 Posts
Consumer Reports gives the Forester the prize for best compact SUV for 2019. Yay! :grin2:
While I never accept any review from any source as gospel, I do give a little higher credibility rating to CR, because much of its evaluation of a product has actual user history to base many of its conclusions. They, more than car magazines, have a little more “skin” in the game, as I see it, to give an unbiased review of a product.

And then, even they sometimes get it wrong...

·
Registered
2012 Lexus RX 350 8 speed auto
70 Posts
2019 purchase questions

How does Subaru Eyesight compare to the other manufacturers? I have been impressed with Eyesight and the emergency braking, actually the whole Subaru safety package. Has anybody compared it to Mazda, Honda, Toyota and Nissan? Sounds as if the lens on the Eyesight are delicate and subject to damage, how about the others.

Bill

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,570 Posts
How does Subaru Eyesight compare to the other manufacturers? I have been impressed with Eyesight and the emergency braking, actually the whole Subaru safety package. Has anybody compared it to Mazda, Honda, Toyota and Nissan? Sounds as if the lens on the Eyesight are delicate and subject to damage, how about the others.

Bill
I own a 2018 Accord Touring and the 19 Forester. I tried my best to rear end the person in front of me the best I could and both stopped me:wink2:

The lens protector on the Eyesight is exposed versus the others which are directly behind the windshield. That is why Subaru tells you not to spray glass cleaner directly onto the windshield as it will spray onto the lens protector. Not that it's any more delicate...just out in the open which can create issues if maintenance is not followed correctly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts