Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Touring
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Yesterday we just bought our first Subaru, a 2018 2.5i Touring 6MT dark grey metallic. We pick it up Friday so I'll post pictures this weekend.

I have a fair amount of experience maintaining and tinkering with old Audis and also have an old BMW 5 series. For the past 3 years my wife has been using a 2005 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T Auto for getting our two young girls around, mostly to school and back, swimming lessons, etc. This car was a bad purchase on my part, a mistake I’ve regretted the past couple years, but we were in a pinch for something bigger than our old Mits Lancer and it fit the budget. In the past couple years rust has exploded from every seam, turbo lady is haunting us, the auto hesitates in second gear, the ABS has been acting up, the suspension is making creaking / groaning noises, the A/C needs a recharge, water leaks from the dome light and near the rear window when it rains, etc etc. I have solutions for many of those issues but with my new job I have less time and energy to by fixing it, not to mention we can’t really afford downtime since it’s used every day.

I started researching crossover SUVs a couple days ago as they are completely foreign to me. Initially I was set on the Ford Escape, then the Hyundai Tucson, then it was settled on the Mazda MX5. These were all going to be somewhat disappointing since they had way more bells and whistles than we needed (to get the basic things we wanted like heated seats) and ideally we wanted a manual trans and also something with a bit more room (we camp and stuff). I was reading a Motor Trend article on the best SUVs and the Forester was ranked something like #13 or 15, but some of the article replies caught my attention so I checked the car out.

A local dealership had two on the lot, and one of those was the color we wanted. This is our first new car purchase, something I vowed never to do, but the peace of mind of only worrying about oil changes and brake pads for the next 10 years (about how long we plan to keep it) is worth it.

We optioned the car out with a lot of little accessories including wheel arch guards, mid door trim, trailer hitch and roof rack rails, undercoating, paint protection, and interior scotch guard, etc. I just ordered Weathertech mats all around, rear seat covers, front seat protectors (for the back of the front seats, to prevent the kid’s shoes from destroying the front seats). Going to price out some winter wheels / tires soon.

The plan is to keep the car stock, oil changes w/synthetic every 5k KM and any other maintenance it needs.

I look forward to familiarizing myself with this car and getting to know people around here.

Barry

·
Registered
2015 Forester
248 Posts
get the extended warranty on the car ,,,,,,,,,,as much as you can afford , subaru are capable, and offer a lot of features, but they are higher maintenance compared to some toyotas, hondas, they are starting to look alike , follow their scheduled maintenance exactly and the dealer will take care of you , the standard subaru oil is idemitsu brand full synthetic oil and it is good, not ,imo the best but more than good enough, , [ imo pennzoil platinum is better and so is amsoil] their standard blue filter is not so good[ in the usa it is internally a Fram standard filter , but it maintains their warranty - .....................as far as your audi woes, older german cars are god's gift to professional mechanics and car parts stores, if you buy an older audi, BMW, MB or a volvo,[ not german but close] you will learn what time consuming really means

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,782 Posts
@q20v welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Touring
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice Leland grant. I was thinking Amsoil oil and OEM filters. We have the standard warrantee and will see how the first couple years go before considering extending it.

Thanks 2.5x_sleeper! I'll likely be upgrading to a paid membership once I peruse the site a bit more, then update my details.

·
Registered
2018 forester manual
67 Posts
Should we take bets on the average amount of time it takes a forester owner to start making mods on thier rig after they say " im going to keep it stock " ? lol took me 2 weeks b4 I decided a skid plate was a essential upgrade

·
Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
16,503 Posts
You don't need to change oil every 5KM with an overpriced oil. I have done many oil analysis and have witnessed thousands oil at my former place of employment and at bitog.com I have ran any number of oil cycles out to 10,000 MILES and have done a used oil analysis on them. My 08 is proof of that with 181K miles.

Pretty much these days oil is oil. Syn little better than conventional unless you want to go for extended drains. Nothing wrong with walmart syn. Pkrobably one of the best is Castrol Edge, or German Castrol. Lots of wear reducers in them but in actual performance they don't out perform $18/gal Walmart syn.

I agree with the extended warranty though.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Touring
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
adc, ya I think I'll probably reconsider either the interval or oil brand. Although I don't think I could stomach a 10k mile interval! I'll definitely stick with synthetic as I do find the it helps in the winter. A pour test comparing conventional vs synthetic at low temp shows a huge difference. Up here in Ottawa we can see some pretty cold days.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Touring
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick update:

Did the first oil change at about 3k KM:
- Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20, no filter on this change
- My intent in doing this was that I was under the impression conventional oil is used as factory fill, and temps here have been plummeting so I wanted synthetic for those cold starts.
- I was fully expecting a huge fight with the drain plug based on everything I've read, but with a 6-point socket and breaker bar it was very anti-climactic.
- Oil flow out of the pan overwhelmed my drain pan funnel in about 10 seconds and I had a huge mess. Now that I have the drain plug thread size I ordered a Fumoto F108N.
- I want to have the oil change intervals at easy mileage markers (like 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k... if I decide on 5k intervals), so I may do another change w/filter way early at 5k KM to get on schedule. Still debating this one.
- I found a Subaru Dealer on Ebay selling bulk OEM filters so I ordered 24. Not sure what they sell for at Canadian dealers but I found Amazon.ca lists them for about $17 CDN, and these worked out to about $6.80 CDN each.
- Also ordered the Subaru block heater that goes into the block. Once I get some extra coolant I'll slap that in ASAP, probably this weekend.

Also got the winter tires / wheels mounted up. Drove it for the first time in the snow the other day and I'm very impressed with the performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Welcome to the club q20v! I have the same car but white and CVT, yesterday I had a 19mm rear sway installed... if you do nothing else to the car this is a must... going around corners is a hoot now! Handling is as good as you read about in other threads when changing out to a 19 or 20mm rear sway.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Touring
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Canada2018, thanks for the tip! I've noticed the handling leaves a lot to be desired and never realized RSB upgrades were so common and cheap! I'm going to order the STI 20mm RSB pretty soon I'd say. (PN for future reference 20451VA000 [bar] 20464VA000 [bushings])

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
I think you will be happy with the change, well worth it :) I can do a 90 degree corner at 25 km/h with no issue and it doesn't even feel like I'm pushing it... can likely go much higher safely.... Milder corners are a breeze.

·
Registered
2018 forester manual
67 Posts
Hey just a little FYI I just had to take my 2018 Mt and because my 4th gear was rattling and you can feel a vibration through it and it looks like there is a possible defects in the 2018 on the 4th gear Synchro. Something just to keep an eye out for it looks like they might be sending out a technical service bulletin for it very soon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.