Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems my ISP is going to switch to DOCSIS 3.0 at the end of the month. You can get a modem from them or get your own. Theirs is a brand I'm not familiar with (Axis maybe?) so I went with a Motorola SURFboard SB6120 to replace the older surfboard I have now. Normally it's easy to swap out the modem, remove old one, call with new MAC number and you are back in business in an hour or so. Well I swapped mine out about 3 today and just got on line. Something was messed up at the cable company, I even went down there to have my modem checked out since they don't have this type yet. Anyway in the end I finally got it going. I'm wondering if anyone else's ISP has gone to the DOCSIS 3.0 and how they like it. Mine isn't supposed to kick in till November first so I did a check on my speed using this link:

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

and posted my results below. Just wondering how others are doing. I can't complain, my ISP has typically been very reliable and helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
hmm they're only providing you with 13mb down? what's the max for your plan? docsis 3.0 is supposed to be 2-3x faster IIRC.

·
The Modfather
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I was saying though, 3.0 does not kick in till November 1, this is more of a baseline. I'll test again in November. According to the letter I got from my ISP the DL is supposed to be up to 50 Mbps and upload to 1 MBps They are also increasing my data allotment to 120 GB/month. I was wondering if anyone had 3.0 and what they are seeing in reality. Because "Up to 50 Mbps" also includes 0 :)

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
I'm not sure I would like speeds that fast..I can't read any faster than I do now...the text would just scroll right past me...lol

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
I'm not sure I would like speeds that fast..I can't read any faster than I do now...the text would just scroll right past me...lol
LOL

OH November eh? Man reading owns me. BUT DANG 50Mbps?! Wow wow. And here I thought my 20Mbps was fast enough. Hopefully you have a router and cabling that can handle that speed though.. heard most people are only getting around 30Mbps.

·
Registered
2004 2.5XT - Cobb Stage 2
565 Posts
I'm pretty sure that we are on DOCSIS 3.0, they made the switch earlier this year and are now offering plans with speeds up to 50 Mbps, the plan I'm on is supposedly 16 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up... actual results below.

As far as being happy with Comcast.. well the internet speed is about the only thing I am actually happy about.. in the process of dumping them for all of my TV needs and switching to DirecTV.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
I think we're using, uhh, "plain ol' DSL". Duh at me being ignorant of which version we have here. I'll assume it's the same as always since there haven't been any hardware upgrades required. FWIW, here's what we get at Casa Dan y Marcy:

Can't complain with those results since we're 150 miles from the test center, and incurring 150 miles worth of line loss and noise. We have 15 Mbps available from our ISP but 10 Mbps is just fine for our use.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
HAH. Time Warner thinks they need to raise prices and implement data caps in my market in order to implement docsis 3, but they don't even plan to bring docsis 3 to my market, just other cities in NY where there is more competition. TW has no competition in my area aside from Frontier DSL, which is honestly the biggest pile of garbage. Docsis3 is great, I wish we could get it here someday, or have other ISP's. Uverse or Fios or other competition would certainly kick up the level of service TWC has here.

Current speed with TWC (nonturbo here, just not worth the money in my location):
11down, .35-.4 up. In NJ with cablevision on the basic plan we got 15down and 1 up for less than I'm paying here!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,302 Posts
This thread is killing me. I work for a division of Comcast (so I know how fast we are in Georgia) and live out in the thriving metropolis of Arcade, GA. I am stuck with DSL (up to 3 Mb/s) and usually average 1.8-2.0. I can only dream of speeds that fast......

·
The Modfather
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I figured I'd try to see if there were a difference between my wireless connection on my new laptop for the N at 2.4 and 5 Ghz. Both are pretty fast but no real difference to speak of. My 2.5 connection is a lot stronger than my 5Ghz though.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts