Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And becoming more frequent.
My bone stock, 2004 Forester, non-turbo 5 speed manual with 190k miles has been occasionally hard to start. Sometimes it'll turn right over, other times it will crank (rather weakly) until it catches. I've replaced the battery, spark plugs and fuel filter so far with No joy. Don't know weather to go after fuel pump, injectors or fuel pressure next. Any suggestions?
Thanx,
Dana

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,108 Posts
Do you feel Lucky?

When the car starts right up, measure the battery voltage when the engine isn't running. It should read 12.6+ volts. When the car starts poorly, measure the battery voltage. It most likely will read less that 12.6 volts. This means you gotta charging problem. See if the voltage at the battery is above 14 volts when the engine is running to check the alternator. Don't be replacing parts. Odds are that you're not going to be lucky. It's just gonna be expensive.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery checks out fine at 12.6V when not running.
With motor running, headlights on, high beams, radio and full heater motor blower I get 14.6v .
Still rough starting and stumbling. If I pump the accelerator or hold it down while turning the key it (reluctantly) sputters to life.
Once it catches it runs fine w/ smooth acceleration and good gas mileage.
I suspect fuel delivery problem.

·
Registered
2000 Forester Manual
202 Posts
With 190K I suspect worn out contacts in the starter.
The full rebuid kits are $30 on ebay and its very easy to install

·
Registered
2004 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved.
It was the starter motor.
After replacing the battery, Fuel filter and sparkplugs myself it ended up being the starter motor. My independent mechanic replaced it with a New (not rebuilt) starter for $240. Worth it to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts