Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase a MY10 Forester and have a couple of questions for you guys. I really like the red instrument colors of the impreza, so I was wondering the following:

1. Is it possible to change out the instrument panel face plate from that of the forester's default white/blue to the impreza's red (they appear to be the exact same except for the colors)

2. Could you change the LEDs fairly easily on the overhead ambient light from blue to red, as well as that of the cubby light near the forward 12V jack? The one on the top seems like it could be pretty straight forward, but I am not so sure about the lower LED.

3. I plan on getting the stock footwell illumination kit, and I would probably go with blue if I didn't change a thing on the car, but if I can mod the first two I'd like to have them be red. If I get one color on the footwell illumination kit would it be possible to just change the LEDs later to switch the color or would I need to order a whole new kit to change the color?

Thanks

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
The instrument clusters are totally different. 1st, The speedo on the forester is in the center of the cluster and on the impreza the tach is in the center. This is true for the turbos of both models and I believe it is the same on the NA models but I could be wrong. 2nd, if you are getting an auto trans then you need to get the cluster for the 2.5 GT. Reason being, the cluster in the 2.5GT is for an Auto trans also. The cluster from the manual will render the auto FOZ inoperable. The ECU will not be able to see what gear the vehicle is in and the forester will not start. Other than that you should be able to switch them out as I believe they are plug and play.....hopefully. No one has done it yet and I was gonna be the guinea pig but the cluster is $562 or something like that. The part # is 85022FG120.....but confirm that at your dealer to be sure. Hope this helps.

On the Footwell Illum kit, I believe that you will need a new kit as the lights themselves are a sealed unit. You could probably cut off the lights and splice in something else but I am not sure. I installed mine myself and that's my take on it. Most, if not all of the accessory items can be installed by yourself and will save you $$$ instead of the dealer doing it. Go here for all of the install guides: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f106/install-guide-pdfs-nearly-all-oem-accessories-32445/

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with your new ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Just for some clarification Hot09XT, I will have a 2010 manual NA. As far as the instrument panels themselves go, are you sure they are different, perhaps it has changed in the last year or two. I was looking at both on the lot and they appeared to be the same except for the color.

Here are the panels from the Subaru site for the 2010 models:
(can't post URLs yet)

Forester
postimage.org/image.php?v=PqOCJ3J

Impreza
postimage.org/image.php?v=PqOCLyS

I was also hoping to perhaps just change the plastic faceplate and not all of the actual electronics if that was possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Looking at the pics Sparksilver you may be right. I think that one you posted is just for the Impreza and I was looking at the WRX models as I have an XT. That should work but I don't think you will be able to find just the gauge covering/faceplate. I could be wrong on that also, not sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hot09XT, Gotcha, actually looking at the WRX cluster again, I acually like it a lot more. I really would have prefered a side by size, equal tach and speedometer, but oh well. Also the missing coolant temp gauge is not something I like on the Forester. Do you think it might be possible to put in a manual Impreza WRX cluster into the manual NA Forester? And if the speed/tach/etc works, would there be a hope of getting the coolant temp to work as well?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Hot09XT, Gotcha, actually looking at the WRX cluster again, I acually like it a lot more. I really would have prefered a side by size, equal tach and speedometer, but oh well. Also the missing coolant temp gauge is not something I like on the Forester. Do you think it might be possible to put in a manual Impreza WRX cluster into the manual NA Forester? And if the speed/tach/etc works, would there be a hope of getting the coolant temp to work as well?
Not really sure since the WRX is a turbo. I would think it should be plug and play. Everything should work correctly, temp, tach, speedo, etc. The temp guage is really just a dummy guage like the blue/red light in the forester, it's not a real temp guage but it looks better IMO.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium
5 Posts
I have the opposite problem... I like the blue and don't like the red lights. I just got my '10 Forester 4 days ago and so far I really love it, except for a couple of things. One is the red light in the center console where the radio and temp controls are. Can the light color in that area be changed from red to blue or white? And where could I get the bulb (or parts) and instructions? Please keep in mind that although I know NOTHING about this, my husband was trained as an electrician while serving with the Marines, so he may understand it better then I would. :icon_wink:

Thank you!!
Ro

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
447 Posts
I have a guide on changing the accent lights to red.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/guide-changing-color-accent-lights-2008-a-72512/

I haven't yet been brave enough to attempt to remove the gauge needles and replace the LEDs on the main dash PCB. Since the guages are mostly lit up white, you shouldn't have any problems with color filters like most gauges have.
I helped two of my friends removed their gauge needles on their Pontiac GTOs and convert them to 100% Red. The end result looked great.

RCD, it depends on how Subaru made the lights red. There are two ways, build colored light filters directly into the plastics or labels, and use white lights. Or use colored lights or LEDs and white filters. Sometimes they use a combination of both. You have to take apart the faceplates and look and see what method was used. If they used red color filters, and white lights you will find it hard to convert to blue. If they used white filters and red lights then it should be a matter of just replacing the lights.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium
5 Posts
Thank you, ZapWizard. I thought one of those two would have to be the case. I am hoping it's the LED light that's colored, but mostly so it would be easier for me to change! I don't know when I'll be brave enough to open the face plate just to check... but I may give it a try. Seeing that so many of you do these things gives me a boost of confidence, but not sure if it's enough. If I ever get to it, I'll post my findings.

Ro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts