·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,083 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT auto Auto
510 Posts
so just a question, I think I might of missed it while reading this but do the LED dome lights still dim like the regular bulbs?

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
so just a question, I think I might of missed it while reading this but do the LED dome lights still dim like the regular bulbs?
My 31mm 4 x LED dome light still dims like the regular bulb......I luv it actually, but would much prefer one like "sheepish" made for himself, much brighter than mine.

·
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!
2003 XT 2.5 AT
1,837 Posts
My Forester's light doesn't dim, though. Never did, even before I put in the new one, so sorry, I can't offer any helpful advice at all.

My previous car's light did fade out (it was a Mazda), and from the faint buzzing noise the bulb made while dimming I'd guess it was PWM, so it would have worked for LEDs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i wired my map reading lights so they came on when you opened the door and went off via the dimmer when you shut the door..

this was done about 3 years ago.

·
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!
2003 XT 2.5 AT
1,837 Posts
I luv it actually, but would much prefer one like "sheepish" made for himself, much brighter than mine.
The brightness is great, but I've come to the conclusion that 750 mA produces a little bit too much heat (especially after measuring the temperature after left on for 5 minutes). There's just not enough room in there for a big enough heatsink, or enough air to flow past it.

If making another one I'd use one of these drivers (or these - they're probably identical) providing about a third of an amp, and a couple of these more efficient LEDs, which have come down in price a lot now.

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester L.L. Bean yes
143 Posts
We've had a few threads about map lights, dome light, and LEDs, but this seems to be the most prevalent one so I'll post my "map lights come on with dome light" mod here. I did the mod a while ago, but "the job's not done till the paperwork is in," so here it is.
What a great mod!

I can confirm that our 2006 needed to have the black & yellow wires reversed in accordance with your instructions.

Here's a dumb question: is there really a need for those 2 diodes given that the map LEDs are diodes themselves? Or is that more a safety precaution against the possibility of someone replacing the LEDs with incandescent bulbs?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,083 Posts
What a great mod!

I can confirm that our 2006 needed to have the black & yellow wires reversed in accordance with your instructions.

Here's a dumb question: is there really a need for those 2 diodes given that the map LEDs are diodes themselves? Or is that more a safety precaution against the possibility of someone replacing the LEDs with incandescent bulbs?
Thanks for the nice words and for the info about the 2006. It's certainly starting to look as if the entire SG line was wired that way. Now I wonder about the SFs and SHs.

Funny you should ask about the diodes, as I'm working on the final draft of a tutorial on diodes like the ones I just did on relays and multimeters. Here's an excerpt:
The object of the mod is to turn both map lights on when the dome light comes on, but to keep the map lights themselves working the same way they used to work, with each map light’s switch controlling only that light.

Well, you could get the map lights to come on with the dome light simply by wiring all three in parallel. That would satisfy the first objective of the mod, but it would certainly fail at the second. So we inject a couple of diodes into the circuit to isolate the dome light from the effects of the map lights and the map lights from each other. Here’s how it works.

When the dome light is grounded, either by its switch or by the ‘integrated module’ that connects to the door switches, this also creates a path to ground for each of the map lights through their respective diodes. Electricity flows in the direction of the arrowheads, and all three lights come on. But when either of the map lights is grounded through its own switch, electricity from the dome light or the other map light can’t get to that ground because it’s blocked by the turned-on map light’s diode.​

As for the LEDs, yes they're diodes, but the electricity from the other lights would never get that far up in the circuit even without the diodes, so they don't feature in what's going on. It would stop at the grounded switch. In general, it's not good to rely on LEDs to act as diodes unless you're aware of and respectful of their maximum reverse voltage rating, and that's an unknown in this situation. I doubt that you'd ever see that spec published for an array, just for individual LEDs. And some LED arrays are configured so that they work in either direction anyway—like the 14-LED units I've been using in other mods.

Too gutsy to take a chance, especially when you can get diodes for a nickel apiece or less.

And one aspect that I didn't think of when putting the tutorial together, though I did note it in the description of the mod here: without the diodes you might create a short across the dome light controller if you opened the doors while one of the map lights was turned on with its own switch. The controller would try to go through its dimming procedure, but all the time its output would be grounded. Results unknown. $$$ perhaps?

Diodes isolate!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Ltd AT
11 Posts
LED interior lamps

Howdy all,

Searched the forum but couldn't find anyone who has swapped out the incandescent interior lamps for LEDs.

So, has anyone done it yet? Where did you buy the LEDs and were you happy with the colour and brightness?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,083 Posts
There's been lots of discussion about this here. Try this link for 5 pages worth.

Also check my Sources Thread.

Edit (5-23): I'm merging this thread with the earlier one, to try to keep the info together in one place.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
I got a set from Your LED Shop also. Pretty happy with them although one bulb is noticeably bluer than the others. The tail light bulbs are a ***** to get in.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Limited
649 Posts
You don't say. Mine is even worse, I have a crimestopper backup plate camera, and blocking the screw. I have to remove my plate (that has a tempered proof torx screw). Took me an hour to do.

I got a set from Your LED Shop also. Pretty happy with them although one bulb is noticeably bluer than the others. The tail light bulbs are a ***** to get in.
I bought mine from SUPER BRIGHT LEDS home, I also put this to the eyelid (parking light), WLED-xLX, $9.95 each, the brightest led they have.
Product Listing - CAR

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... Searched the forum but couldn't find anyone who has swapped out the incandescent interior lamps for LEDs. So, has anyone done it yet? Where did you buy the LEDs and were you happy with the colour and brightness?
I put an LED dome light in my Scion xB. From LED Dome Light, rather pricey at $36. It is brighter, but the blue hue is not as appealing as the warmth of the incandescent. I do not want to do it for my Forester.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,828 Posts
I put an LED dome light in my Scion xB. From LED Dome Light, rather pricey at $36. It is brighter, but the blue hue is not as appealing as the warmth of the incandescent. I do not want to do it for my Forester.
I know what you mean. We put standard LED's in my son's '95 Neon Sport, but really didn't care for the blue light. We changed them out to "warm white" LED's & the light is the same hue as incandescent, but much brighter with less power consumption. I got them at superbrightleds.com. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
I know what you mean. We put standard LED's in my son's '95 Neon Sport, but really didn't care for the blue light. We changed them out to "warm white" LED's & the light is the same hue as incandescent, but much brighter with less power consumption. I got them at superbrightleds.com...
I don't see that leddomelight.com even offers the "warm" choice.
I just wish Subaru had wired the front reading lights to come on with the ceiling light, especially for the models with the moonroof. That would be so nice, but I imagine it would complicate the on-off push switches.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,828 Posts
I don't see that leddomelight.com even offers the "warm" choice.
I just wish Subaru had wired the front reading lights to come on with the ceiling light, especially for the models with the moonroof. That would be so nice, but I imagine it would complicate the on-off push switches.
I usually don't care for "warm white", when it's for fluorsecent lighting, I prefer cool white. In this application, incandescent to LED, unless you want the bluish color, "warm white" is what you want.

I haven't converted the cabin lights in my '03. I'm not out enough at night to be motivated to MOD to LED's...:smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
154 Posts
anybody have any "how to" on how to remove the A pillar... i looked through my forester manual and i can find pretty much everything other than how to remove the A pillar....

thanks!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,083 Posts
My best recommendation is not to remove the cover from the A-pillar. You just kind of take it off by prying and pulling, but it's a real PITA to get it back on correctly. You're almost guaranteed to break the clips or the plastic somewhere along the way.

If you're planning on doing the map light mod, I'd recommend connecting to the switch rather than the wire in the pillar. 1: it's easier, and 2: it's more useful.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
My best recommendation is not to remove the cover from the A-pillar. You just kind of take it off by prying and pulling, but it's a real PITA to get it back on correctly. You're almost guaranteed to break the clips or the plastic somewhere along the way.
If you're planning on doing the map light mod, I'd recommend connecting to the switch rather than the wire in the pillar. 1: it's easier, and 2: it's more useful.
I bought (6) Clips P/N 90910027 in case they break in removing the A-pillar cover. But now where is the DIY on connecting to the switch instead of the pillar wire?

The map lights on my wife's Buick come on whenever a door is opened or the key is removed, and any mod that would bring the Forester map lights on for entry/exit would be great.

61 - 80 of 154 Posts