Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While im doing some upgrades to my stereo system (2004 Forester) I figure why not change the LED's while I am at it, So far I have opened up the climate control circutary, grabbed my multimeter, and started at it, the large LED's behind the dials of the climate control system are showing me 10v, and are about 4mm across, the smaller LED's (shoing fan speed etc) are reading out such a small voltage when on my multimeter doesnt even show it (even on the 10 volt scale, but I was able to measure 0.05mW of current through the LED. There are 13 of the small ones and 3 of the larger ones. The larger ones have a rubbery green cover over the LED (I assume to make it green) while the others are just green LED's. Where can I get replacement LED's that will fit these? I am doing this to swap out my green led's with a blue color, or maybe red.. I saw the post about buying LED's but I cant seem to find the right ones..

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since its not letting me edit my post, where can I find replacements for these, I found some 3mm Blue LED's that will replace the other interior lights.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,085 Posts
Are you sure those are LEDs? Have you tried peeling off the green rubber covering to see if it's a minature incandescent bulb? :confused:

As to editing. I know new members are limited on what they can do until their post count is 15, so perhaps editing a post also required 15 posts. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure those are LEDs? Have you tried peeling off the green rubber covering to see if it's a minature incandescent bulb? :confused:

I think it is a mini incandescent bulb as the head it puts off and i can see the filament, I cant really peel the green covering off of it seems like it would rip and I don't have a replacement cover, but if i had some idea on getting a blue cover into it I would like that. Any suggestions as to material, because incandescents can get rather warm..

·
Administrator
40,085 Posts
They should peel off like a condom. I wanted one in a fog light switch to be red, so I peeled off the green & used a red magic marker to color the bulb. It worked pretty good. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
They should peel off like a condom. I wanted one in a fog light switch to be red, so I peeled off the green & used a red magic marker to color the bulb. It worked pretty good. :wink:
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought it was like a condom. Do you know anything about the LED's on the climate control system, and replacements for them. My voltage meter shows no load :confused: and I get a readout of .05 mA... Of course I could maybe get a purple sharpie and color over the green LED to make it blue, but i would much rather replace the LED's

Took off the condom, magic marker doesn't like sticking to the glass, I got some,one plugged it in, but its now a normal incandescent color :(

·
Administrator
40,085 Posts
It's pretty easy to replace red or green LEDs, since they operate close to the same voltage, around 1.7-2.5V. The blue LED is different, it run on 4.5-5V. This means they're not a direct replacement. You'd have to change the associated resistor for it to operate correctly. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,155 Posts
Here are some pieces of an answer. I know that there's been more discussion here, but these links should get you started.There's probably lots more info if you wander through that first thread. It's presently 26 pages long!

Also, I recall there once being a post where somebody said that they had found replacement incandescents at Radio Shack.

As for the low voltage reading, these bulbs are probably on the 'illumination' circuit, which is controlled by a dimmer. Was it perhaps at a low setting?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts