• a different color (list below)

Votes: 11 10.8%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
'15 2.5i Touring
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who thinks the platinum interior is somewhat bland? It's not quite light. It's not quite dark. It's almost too neutral.

Platinum is the only interior color available in 6 out of the 9 exterior color choices. Black is only available in Spark Silver Metallic, Paprika Red Pearl, and Obsidian Black Pearl.

I would definitely prefer black interior to be available with other exterior color choices.

·
Registered
04 Forester 2.5 XT AT
430 Posts
I totally agree! I sell Acura cars for a living and I run in to that problem all the time, there are certain interior/exterior options and you cannot special order...it is very difficult when you become attached to an exterior to be slapped in the face with only one crappy interior options and I wish car manufacturers would give people more options! Oh well.

IMO the Platinum is nice though, keeps the whole interior a little cooler than if it were black...

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
34 Posts
This issue was pretty much what led to my getting the Satin White car, which otherwise wouldn't have been my first choice. Personally I don't like black interiors; they're dark, hot, and show every crumb of dust and debris--I think they make it like driving in a cave. That, of course, limited my exterior color choices to those available with the platinum interior. Now, I'm not a big fan of gray either (I agree that it's a little dull-much prefer tan), but would take it over black any day. The only exterior color available with platinum I was even remotely interested in was the white (of course now they come out with the Camellia Red with the platinum interior, but that combo wasn't available when I bought my car in May of '08--would have grabbed that in a minute), so that's what I ended up with. Not crazy about spending $30K on a car and picking the color by default rather than choice, but...

I'm sure it holds down production costs, but it is very limiting--the Obsidian Black exterior should be available with either black or platinum.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,324 Posts
I would be driving a different forester if I had more interior/exterior color options. I loved the blue, maroon and white exterior colors they offered, but I wouldn't buy it with the light grey interior. I wont drive a black vehicle, the Paprika was too hard to find and that left me with only Spark Silver. Oh well, at least my rock chips won't show too much.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I really like the tan (beige) interior on my '04.

The newer ones I have seen light colored I would assume are what is being called "platinum"? Something like a cross between beige and gray. I think it looks bad. I don't really like black, but I think I would take black over platinum even though it shows dust. I did pick my woodland green/beige '04 X over a black/black '04 XT last year.

No beige, No real green color, and larger body makes it hard for me to ever see myself driving an 09+ Forester. Rav 4 still comes with beige interior and at least a nice blue and the gages look better from the promotional materials I saw.

I also saw a real nice green smallish Jeep at Lowe's the other day. May have to check those out too.

I always like to have a few desirable cars in mind for unexpected replacements or rentals.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 4-EAT
69 Posts
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Platinum: The platinum is basically okay but there's too much of it; there should be charcoal-colored highlights to give the grey interior a more appealing, upscale and less homogenous generic look. Right now it's kind of 1980s GM.

Black: As far as the black interior is concerned, I personally believe it's much too dark and should be lighted up a bit and made more interesting with contrasting highlights as with the platinum interior referenced immediately above.

Other Colours: Finally, I strongly believe there should be a dark tan-khaki interior color option such as found in the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the 2010 Jeep Patriot. Both have tasteful interiors for their respective price points and Subaru planners would well-advised to heed what other manufacturers are doing as the competition never rests.

Please though almighty powers-that-be, never again use anything resembling Japanese beige. :icon_rolleyes: Simply awful in most applications.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
I am happy with my platinum. It makes the interior nice and bright, and is a bit cooler (at least my brain thinks so!). Also easy looks cleaner and does not require as much cleaning as a black interior. My last vehicle was black on black and after awhile, it got sort of old trying to keep it clean.

But this is just me, everyone will be different and need to get what works for them.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited
91 Posts
Platinum = cooler in the sun, hides dust and pet hair, gets permanently dirty if you don't at least cover all of the carpet with floor liners

Black = hot and sweaty, shows all dist and pet hair, hides dirt in the carpets and touched surfaces (arm rests, handles, etc.)

Beige = might as well be platinum, all the same pluses and minuses

Tan/khaki (NOT beige) = cooler in the sun than black, hides dust, hides many colors of pet hair, hides dirt with right color speckling in the carpet, if it does get dirty you won't usually be able to see it after cleaning

I vote tan/khaki.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
My Steel Silver Foz has the platinum interior. I like the seats and door panels, however the carpet is way too light for my taste. Subaru should have used a dark gray carpet IMO.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited Auto
33 Posts
I would have prefered black interior but I didn't want any of the outside colors that came with the black interior. The platinum is growing on me except the lighter colored carpets. I'm glad it's not beige however, that would have kept me from buying the car.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
I like the platinum interior in my Sube. It seems bright and airy inside, even when the moon roof and shade are closed.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Prem. 5 spd
83 Posts
I have the forester with the platinum interior and a VW Golf with a black interior. The platinum while looking nicer is a heck of a lot of work to keep clean. It shows every stain. I recently had a tall high school kid in rear seat wearing shorts and the edge of the seat shows a black ring now. Dang. Gotta find something to clean it. Rust spots show up like the dust belt around Saturn. :icon_frown: All that being said - I do like the color palette from purely a aesthetic perspective. :biggrin:

Black interiors get hot and show up every light piece of debris. The Golf interior has held up well for over ten years if black is a indicator of interior longevity. If I had my druthers I'd opt for a light charcoal interior vs. either black, or platinum.

Cheers,

CapeAnn

·
Registered
2010 Forester XSE, PZEV
58 Posts
We have a sage green Forester with platinum cloth interior and find it to be a very pleasant color. The platinum color has enough warmth to it that prevents it from looking like a very bland pale gray in a rental car. I can understand why this color does not work for some buyers, though.

The black cloth interior looked nice to me but the supply was limited in this area. I liked all the exterior colors, so I would have been happy with either interior. Since we have an Outback with black/dark gray (very nice) and a Honda with a dark sand/khaki interior, we felt this Forester balanced it out.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
The exterior color is what sold us on the 2010x. The interior color is ok(platinum) but when the time comes(if it does) we could always swap the carpet out for black and maybe even upgrade the seats to STI or WRX's, but im sure neither will ever happen on the 2010x

·
Registered
310 Posts
When shopping for my Forester I wanted the red with gray interior, but it was only available in black. Now that I have it, I prefer the black interior, but I'm thinking of moving up to an XT and would then have to go with the gray interior (I really like the red exterior)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts