Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was getting out of my car last night and just happened to be looking at the sunroof while closing my door. At the same time that the door closed the rear part of the sunroof bounced up. I was shocked to see it move and wondered if anyone elses sunroof does that.

so please everyone go outside right now and close your door and tell me if your sunroof bounces :D

Todd

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Yup, not much, just a little. That's just a small amount of 'play' in the rear lift linkage. Maybe 2mm. My 90 Legacy even did that.

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
apanthropy said:
umm.. wow.

Relax, guy!
Do I seem frantic? I don't think so. Every sunroof i've ever seen didn't jump when a door was closed. Shows me that they could be something loose or just a lousy design that isn't providing a good seal.

·
Registered
240 Posts
toddlamp said:
Do I seem frantic? I don't think so. Every sunroof i've ever seen didn't jump when a door was closed. Shows me that they could be something loose or just a lousy design that isn't providing a good seal.
maybe every car you've seen wasn't sealed as well as your subaru, and now the sunroof is the only way air can get out when you shut the door.

take an axe and drive it through the rear roof of the vehicle a couple times, and it should settle your sunroof. :)

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
apanthropy said:
maybe every car you've seen wasn't sealed as well as your subaru, and now the sunroof is the only way air can get out when you shut the door.

take an axe and drive it through the rear roof of the vehicle a couple times, and it should settle your sunroof.
Most cars have vents in the rear portion of the car for venilation. I find it hard to believe that the seal is that good and that there are no vents in the car.

Based on what you're telling me then is that when I have all the windows closed and the HVAC running the pressure is pushing up the sunroof to vent the air? If that's true then I think I am going to return my Forester.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
I saw this the very first day I got the vehicle. It's already been through a week of rain and a high pressure wash. So far - zero drop have penetrated the cabin.

·
Administrator
15,400 Posts
Basically even if the rain got through, the guttering system would take care of it. There are drains in all 4 corners of the sunroof drain setup so I don't think it would be a problem.

D

·
0 Posts
I think just about every car under with a sunroof would do that with the exception of higher end cars. My gti did it.

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the overwhelming response. Today I actually stuck my hand up there and pushed just to see how much play there was and it wasn't bad at all. I'll just keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Had my 90 Legacy for over 11 yrs. Never had a leak. Others I know did, mostly from blocked drains, or one guy at work bought a 92 Legacy used. He didn't know it was in a wreck, until the sunroof leaked.....and when we went to clear the drains, they were not there, in the rear. So the water just dripped....onto the headliner.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
BTW guys...it's DESIGNED that way for a reason.

Why, you ask? It's simply a way for the vehicle to release the air pressure differential when you slam the door shut. Your vehicle pressurizes for that moment in time, and in order to equalize the pressure from the outside to the inside of the cabin, the air must escape.

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Roo said:
BTW guys...it's DESIGNED that way for a reason.

Why, you ask? It's simply a way for the vehicle to release the air pressure differential when you slam the door shut. Your vehicle pressurizes for that moment in time, and in order to equalize the pressure from the outside to the inside of the cabin, the air must escape.
I thought about that but it seemed weird. I can understand all that pressure coming from closing the door, pushing air inside, but aren't there venilation ducts somewhere?

Like I said before if you were running the HVAC with the windows close you would be pressurizing the cabin and forcing the sunroof open that way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts