Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited automatic
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automatic technology, such as adaptive cruise control can raise some interesting effects, provided that no serious consequence results. Today, the Subaru was slowing our car down since the car immediately ahead of us was slowing down for a red light. Suddenly, the car ahead changed lanes and the cruise control "slammed on" the accelerator. Eye popping as we speeded towards the "new" stopped car just ahead. I chickened-out and manually hit the breaks hard. I guess the Subaru has "guts" that it could stop before hitting the car in front of us.

At a mall there are pedestrian cross walks. The Subaru flashed that the car ahead of us moved. Fortunately, before releasing the break, I looked and saw that there was a pedestrian immediately in front of the car. So I guess, pedestrians may be invisible to the car. In any event, the obvious lesson, don't blindly trust technology. Verify before before doing things like accelerating, changing lanes, and breaking.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
447 Posts
While your experience was interesting, I must say that I can't imagine using cruise control, adaptive or not, on any road that has stop signals.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited automatic
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We live in a rural area, were traffic lights are few. Anyway, I usually tap the breaks when traffic slows down to deactivate the cruise control.
The reason I didn't, this time, car testing. Its a new car and I wanted to see what would happen.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
785 Posts
Eyesight adaptive cruise isn't meant to be used in urban areas as the manual makes clear and especially not is complicated areas with many potential threats. Nor is it meant to replace the driver, only support them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts