Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester Automatic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. First-time poster here. I looked around on the site and couldn't come to a conclusion, so I apologize if this has already been explained or resolved.

Context:
My car is a 2006 Subaru Forester (2.5X Automatic) with around 148,000 miles. This is not only my first Subaru, but also my first AWD.

Issue:
When taking tight turns (at a stop light or in a parking lot) and in DRIVE or REVERSE, the car shudders intensely. This does not happen when the car is in NEUTRAL.

Thank you so much for the help.

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
Sounds like a binding center differential. I'm unfamiliar with the center diff on the 4EAT but I've had a binding center diff on a manual and it exhibits this exact behavior as the front and wheels want to turn at different speeds but aren't able to do so.

edit: Just read it's a transfer clutch..wonder if that's seized or a solenoid is dead.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto
1,082 Posts
I had same issue with my AT 05XT. Center diff. Ive drained and replaced the AT fluid twice so far and added a popular additive (forget the name ill find it) and its helped a ton. I still get occasional shudder at full lock but nothing like it was - very liveable. I may do one more drain and refill.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts