Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
APS makes a dual-injector kit. It's $$$

Good high flow injectors and a tuner who knows what they are doing makes for a reasonable DD (though a little smelly).

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
There are a lot of 400+whp 06-07 WRXs not breaking gearboxes. Its all in the driver at that point, and with our 4.44 final drive, we can handle it all the more.
For every one 400+whp 06-07WRX out there, there are two dozen <300whp guys blowing their transmissions.

I continually find out new things about stock gears that make me laugh. The fact that, from an engineering standpoint, the material is the steel equivalent of butter, makes me chuckle.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I've heard this time and time again for the 35r. It seems like it's the better choice on the 2.5 than the 30r.

i have a brand new Sard adj. FPR if you decide to go that route. PM me.
The 30R is a great choice, but 90% of people that do a 30R, end up buying a 35R within a couple months anyway. And a lot of people go from a 20G to a 30R, and the jump is just not that great. I mean it IS a good bit more power, its a wider powerband too, but its not as much as you would expect.

As far as the SARD, I am 90% sure that if I go that route, I will be doing an aeromotive, just because I get a good deal on those and I like the look.

So, are you not going to be running alch injection on this setup? or is that later down the line.
Later down the line :)
Although it may come sooner because I would like to get another PSI or two out of it just for a touch more power. A rising rate reg should be enough to get me another PSI or two though.

My buddy had the almost exact same setup as mine, with 850cc injectors, he added alch injection, with a 12gph nozzle, running 50/50 denatured alch/distilled water, and managed to get 26PSI out of it, and it was devastatingly fast. Like wheelspin in 4th gear fast (this was an STI, so figure about 3rd gear for us with a 5MT) I dont want that much power on the stock 5MT though.

dave are you still on stock 5 speed?
For now. People are pushing well beyond 400whp on the 06-07 5MT in their WRX, which has a worse final drive, therefor less power handling. But you have to shift, then lay into the power, dont slam things and you are usually fine.

Dave, we're in the same boat, I need at LEAST a 1000cc injector for my STI, but I'm thinking about going with the 1600 just in case. I know I sent you a link to the 850's but if they dont work for you, they definitely wont work for me.
I already am on 850s.
The problem with 1600s is that you end up needing a standalone. The oem ECU cant handle them and neither can the UTEC. I am going to look at the new bosch 1000s, but they are thusfar unproven, and I think I can get 1000 out of the 850s without a problem or extreme pressure, with a RRFPR.

are their any duel injector fuel rails for the ej2x?

1600 seems a bit much for most DDs
I have heard injectors past like 1100 are tough to get to idle smoothly.

For every one 400+whp 06-07WRX out there, there are two dozen <300whp guys blowing their transmissions.

I continually find out new things about stock gears that make me laugh. The fact that, from an engineering standpoint, the material is the steel equivalent of butter, makes me chuckle.
But for everyone 2 dozen people breaking their tranny with <300whp, there are 23 that dont know how to shift, and are lieing to themselves/us about how they drive.

I drove my 02 WRX around with 309whp, running 12.7s, for 50k miles, abusing the living hell out of it, and all I got out of it was some rear diff teeth. And supposedly the 02 tranny was the "weakest"

For the most part, the only time I will be on it full throttle is in 4th/5th gear.
On the drag strip, I will be running @12PSI for now, and I dont plan on going often.

The 6MT is planned for next spring. Hopefully that long out anyway :lol: Unless something happens and I can afford to have you guys build me a PPG box...

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
The 6MT is planned for next spring. Hopefully that long out anyway :lol: Unless something happens and I can afford to have you guys build me a PPG box...
sell off some children or organs and get yourself one:biggrin: it my favorite part about my car and gives a great sense of safety when you are beating on it

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Right now the plan goes, and at this point, in this order

Having my stereo rewired.
--I did it, its awesome, but now I have alternator whine, and the front amps are cutting out, we are pretty sure its that I am trying to push 350RMS watts of pure Zapco goodness through the factory 18gauge (at best) wire. And to get the new wires into the doors, its just not something I can handle.
Have my custom sub box built/installed
--3 12" Image Dynamics, in a sealed box, rear firing, 1.0cu volume each. This will actually take up less useable space than my single 12, as this will be built to fit under the strut brace, utilizing the space under/behind it and the back seat.
Both the stereo parts will be done in the next week or two
1000cc injectors
--Going to try a rising rate pressure reg first. If this gets me to 21PSi with an acceptable IDC (@90%) then I am good to go.
POSSIBLY alcohol injection
--Will not run more boost with this, just a touch more timing, I am more doing this as a safety measure.
STI gearbox/diff/whatever I need with it, and ACT clutch
1000cc injectors and a retune for 24PSI daily, 28PSI "fun" map.
Enclose front door speakers
--Better/clearer midbass, my doors will hit like a pair of 8's easily, but be crystal clear
replace the 3 ID subs with 3 IDQs, replace 500.1 Zapco amp with 1500.1 zapco amp.

That honestly is about it, and other than a nice alarm and some vinyl work, I dont see how I could possibly need more. The power levels will be in the 500+whp range on the "fun" map and 485whp range on the day to day map. Handling is already far above an STI, stops on a dime, and as long as I am not doing serious track work often, my brakes are more than enough to handle it.

I may try to pick up an STI carpet/front seats and steering wheel after everything else is done. I would also like to convert over to Defi racer series gauges. I love my Greddys but the defis are SO nice, and priced well.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Stereo is coming together nicely. I got the box in yesterday, it needs a couple little finishing touches, to make it look a bit more custom fit (side panels to blend it in a bit) but I couldnt be happier.

My previous box was large and didnt fit under the strut bar, pretty much no "off the shelf" box for a 12" sub would. Therefor it stuck out into the cargo area a LOT, taking more than half the space side to side as well. See pic for an idea of the issue.

This box fits PERFECTLY under the strut brace, and up to the back seat. And I dont mean close, I mean DEAD ON. The angle of the box to the back seat is identical, the spacing of the notch on the box for the strut bar places the rear of the box to where it touches the back seat, not mashed against it, but lightly touching, so every millimeter of available space is used. And with the angle being perfect, again, every bit of airspace. The gap around the bar is @ 1/4", the side to side distance is enough that it slides snugly in between the strut towers, not HARD, but just enough so that the carper provides plenty of force to hold it soldly in place. I firmly believe this would not move under a full boost launch control take off at the drag strip. It couldnt possible fit better. And because of this, it extends out into the cargo area less. Meaning, 3 12" subs, take up less useable space than my previous single 12. Check it out.

They are Image Dynamics ID 12s, the new series that are far improved over the old IDs, the only real noteable difference between these and the IDQs (which are AMAZING subs) is that these handle a bit less power.

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,613 Posts
good god. you're going to go deaf.

I wonder how you're able to build a custom box like that and get the right sound out of it. I always thought you had to build a box to certain specifications in order for the speakers to work properly.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
good god. you're going to go deaf.

I wonder how you're able to build a custom box like that and get the right sound out of it. I always thought you had to build a box to certain specifications in order for the speakers to work properly.
It is the right specification.

Separate chambers, 1.0cu/ft each.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
It is the right specification.

Separate chambers, 1.0cu/ft each.
Did you build the box? If so nice work! It looks just like the box I had for 3 Soundstream Reference 10s in my 98 Forester. 142db of skull crushing bass!!

How did you secure the box to the car? I removed the tie downs and bolted an L bracket on each side to keep it secure.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Limited
649 Posts
Big subbox = no kids. :) ID FTW. I have use ID subs since the late 90s. I have 2 ID 8" using sea-scooby's kit, powered by PDX 1.400, hit hard enough for me. Can't imagine 3 12"! I am too old.

·
Registered
06 forester xt 07 sti 6 speed
3,874 Posts
Three subs are sooo the way to go! In my last vehicle I had 3 15 inch JL Audio w6 subwoofers in a sealed enclosure! :discomonkey:

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Its not secured down, but trust me, that box is going NOWHERE. It fits in between the towers tightly enough, and with it going under the brace it cant rock backwards anyway. I have taken the fxt out and deliberately driven it like a moron, trying to move it. It didnt budge.

That said, it will get a couple little L brackets at the back (front? the area right behind the seat) to just make 100% sure it cant move.

Also, I didnt build it myself, a buddy of mine has a stereo shop, and has an incredibly talented guy who does all his custom work.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Three subs are sooo the way to go! In my last vehicle I had 3 15 inch JL Audio w6 subwoofers in a sealed enclosure! :discomonkey:

It really is. The impact is just SO much better with the extra cone surface area than it was on 1 or even 2. Its not so much a volume thing, as an impact with less effort thing.

Now if only I can get the damed alternator whine straightened out :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
hey Dave, just wondering what is it about the AEM alky kit that makes you feel like if you could go back you'd use the AEM alky kit instead of the SMC kit?

Thanks

·
Registered
06 forester xt 07 sti 6 speed
3,874 Posts
It really is. The impact is just SO much better with the extra cone surface area than it was on 1 or even 2. Its not so much a volume thing, as an impact with less effort thing.

Now if only I can get the damed alternator whine straightened out :(
To give the alternator a brake I always used a hefty OPTIMA battery with properly sized volt capacitors. That's the only way to go. And if you really want to charge up the system go for a beefier alternator.
Happy bumping!:rock:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,526 Posts
WOW! That's huge! :icon_eek: I assume that's for track, since there doesn't appear top be an air filter? :wink:

Curious, can you still get to the front differential stick? :smile:

Bobby...

41 - 60 of 78 Posts