Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I need to finish this thread... I have some updates with the project I have going on with it now (complete stereo re-wiring)

Any reason you stayed with the stock flywheel?
Drag racing. Light flywheels are harder to launch

There is something about your threads that I find totally fascinating.

You are behind all my mods and inspiration, and not to sound too corny, but your tips and advise have helped cope with my "life issues" as my car is "my escape", modding "el Fox Bestial" has helped keep my sanity straight and probably avoid Prozac.

Thank you ! & Thank you SF.org members.
Thanks man, its always nice to hear that my work (work? Insanity is more like it lol) is appreciated.

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,587 Posts
alternator cover with the 2.5L STI tag, is that an FSTi JDM part? Where did you get it?
I am not too happy about your "single" catch-can, it's a no no "t'ing" the crankcase and heads breather line into a single can, there is room for duals cans ;-)...c'mon !

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
alternator cover with the 2.5L STI tag, is that an FSTi JDM part? Where did you get it?
I am not too happy about your "single" catch-can, it's a no no "t'ing" the crankcase and heads breather line into a single can, there is room for duals cans ;-)...c'mon !

There is definitely room for 2 cans, and that is the plan, its a money thing right now, 1 "does the job" kinda anyway. Although I am also drooling over the Element catch can.

The alternator cover is just an 04 FXT cover, with the 2.5STi badge from a JDM FSTI. I got the badge from japanparts for like $28 shipped.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
So Keith from AWDTUNING is in town this weekend, I have decided that I just have no desire to do the tuning right now, so I have handed control over to his capable hands.

We began working on the tune last night, and for now, we were going to run just a reflash, and have hit a wall with the MAF. What is that you say?

I am maxing, the 3" blow through MAF, at FOURTEEN AND A HALF PSI. So at some point this weekend we are putting the UTEC back in, switching over to speed density based fueling, and will up the boost a little bit more. At 14.5PSI, its stupid fast. Stage 2 STI? Bye bye :lol: I dont think I will be going past @17 maybe 18.5PSI on this transmission though. When you do the math on how much airflow it takes to peg a 3" MAF, its a lot of power, somewhere in the 340-350whp range. AT 14.5PSI!

Pics being added up top, go check the top of the thread out...

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
So Keith from AWDTUNING is in town this weekend, I have decided that I just have no desire to do the tuning right now, so I have handed control over to his capable hands.

We began working on the tune last night, and for now, we were going to run just a reflash, and have hit a wall with the MAF. What is that you say?

I am maxing, the 3" blow through MAF, at FOURTEEN AND A HALF PSI. So at some point this weekend we are putting the UTEC back in, switching over to speed density based fueling, and will up the boost a little bit more. At 14.5PSI, its stupid fast. Stage 2 STI? Bye bye :lol: I dont think I will be going past @17 maybe 18.5PSI on this transmission though. When you do the math on how much airflow it takes to peg a 3" MAF, its a lot of power, somewhere in the 340-350whp range. AT 14.5PSI!

Pics being added up top, go check the top of the thread out...
sounds beasty!

What are the air temps in TX right now? Can't be great...

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
seriously considering an etune from Keith to tune my stage 4 set-up :^)

Tell him I sent you :biggrin:

FYI it will be a while till I have any sort of dyno chart. Unfortunately the road dyno software that the open source guys use will not work on my setup, as it reads something to do with the load from the MAF, and it doesnt work properly on a blow through. I can show you the chart, but the numbers are off a good 80whp from what its actually making. I can tell you that on this chart, I lifted at 6200, and the last like 2 bars of the chart, it was a table top, mainly because that was the limit of the MAF anyway. Power just climbs till it rocks the rev limiter at 7500. I am going to up the limit to 7750 I think.

Throttle response is instant, low throttle angle lower/mid rpm (the meat of where you are around town) is AWESOME, more than a stock STI, which may not sound that impressive, until you consider that my turbo is about 3X larger than that of a stock STI, and by about 3800, fuggedaboutit :D

I pulled out tonight, stood on it in first, railed the rev limiter, dove into the pedal hard in second (shifted soft) and all the sudden I felt a BUMP BUMP BUMP in the nose, I was like "really! did I just run over" Then I smelt it... That glorious smell that can only come from roasting tires. The bump was just some wheel hop :lol: It came into boost, and at 14.5PSI, violently spun the tires :D

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
This just makes me drool.

Wanna trade cars? :biggrin: I can even include a couple goats on top of my ride to sweeten the deal. :lol:

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Another update

Well we hit another roadblock in the tune. I cant run more than 19.5ish PSI, I can get away with about 20, but 19.5 is safer.

Why?

Because I am maxing my 850cc injectors. :icon_eek:

That said, at 20PSI, its just stupid. In 4th gear, by 5000rpm you cant lift yourself off the seat to lean forward. 5th is almost the same, but I havent taken it past 125mph to get it that high in the rpm band. But I can tell you that going 70, and rolling the throttle to the floor, triple digit speeds come very quickly.

First gear is useless, if you dont start the shift by @5500rpm, you WILL smash into the 7500rpm rev limiter
Second gear is close to the same. 5k to redline is a light switch. Power comes on hard at about 4000. Do not mistake that for having poor low end power. At no point in the powerband do I have less low end than stock, and by 3k I have a good bit more than stage 2 power.
3rd gear, now we are talking. That 4500-7500rpm band is scary. Feels like the seat back might break from the force. 4th gear pulls stupid hard too. 5th, well you should have to downshift to get that much pull.

I cant wait till I get the fueling straight so I can up the boost a bit more. I feel confident that I can run another 3PSI or so safely if I dont slam shifts. There are a lot of 400+whp 06-07 WRXs not breaking gearboxes. Its all in the driver at that point, and with our 4.44 final drive, we can handle it all the more.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
On race gas with the right transmission, and a fuel system that can keep up, high 10s. With the current setup, low 12s driving like a grandma (litterally roll off the line quickly, shift gently) I cant see traps under 120.
If I had a tranny that would hold the abuse, this setup would pull an 11 off no problem. Just, but it would do it.

My plan is to drive it as is for now, finish my stereo next week, and make some decisions. I can run a rising rate pressure regulator and push the 850s more into the low 900s, and get another PSI or two out of it. I spoke to my buddy that ran an almost identical setup on his STI, and with an alch injection kit running a 12gph nozzle, 50/50 meth/water, they were able to wrangle 26psi out of it, and violent wheelspin through 3rd, with some spin in 4th.

I am not TOO worried about abuse on the street, because I wont have to launch or shift hard to shut down 95% of what is out there.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
you are in the same boat as me but my engine is holding me back where it is your tranny. wanna come up here and we'll bolt my tranny up and see what fun we can have?

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,869 Posts
So, are you not going to be running alch injection on this setup? or is that later down the line.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Do not mistake that for having poor low end power.
I've heard this time and time again for the 35r. It seems like it's the better choice on the 2.5 than the 30r.

I can run a rising rate pressure regulator and push the 850s more into the low 900s, and get another PSI or two out of it.
i have a brand new Sard adj. FPR if you decide to go that route. PM me.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
90 Posts
Dave, we're in the same boat, I need at LEAST a 1000cc injector for my STI, but I'm thinking about going with the 1600 just in case. I know I sent you a link to the 850's but if they dont work for you, they definitely wont work for me.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts