Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5 x 5 speed manual
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to start modding my car little by little.
my first goal is to put a RAM intake into my forester.
only problem I'm finding is that most vendors only sell RAM intakes (or any intakes for that matter) for turbo Foresters, which won't work with my MAF sensor.
Can anybody recommend any brands that would work on my Forester?
any other modding advice is appreciated too :)

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,589 Posts
I've read where some members have lost power by installing a CAI intake. :icon_eek:

A better & lower cost option may be to route cool air from the fender to the stock air box. :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2005 2.5 x 5 speed manual
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read where some members have lost power by installing a CAI intake. :icon_eek:

A better & lower cost option may be to route cool air from the fender to the stock air box. :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
Im going for RAM because from what I understand RAM doesn't give as much power because the air is hotter, but since the pipe is shorter it gives more of a boost to my mid RPMs which is what I'm looking for.
Cold air would require a longer pipe, which while it would be denser air the difference wouldn't be felt until higher RPMs.
Am I correct to assume so?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
They can be a good way to actually lose usable power too.

A Problem with CAI/SRIs and an Alternative (yes, finally)

People often think they 'feel' a gain because there is a loss in the bottom end and mid range, then the upper mid and top end come back to normal. They perceive the increased pull of the top end coming on as a "gain", when the reality is they actually lost power in the bottom end and gained nothing at all.

Modding is fine, but one has to look at the whole picture of what is going on. More air flow doesn't always equal more power.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
What's a RAM intake? Like, ram air system on a Suzuki GSXR?

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
That looks like a short ram intake to me, it'll suck hot air from under the hood. Ram-air is considered a cold air intake and is supposed to scoop air from outside, no?

Stan

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Eh, maybe my terminology is off, that to me looks like an SRI with a box around it. If I were to do it, I'd route the tube through the fender, seal it and have filter in the fender well, I thought that's how CAIs worked on Subarus. I thought ram-air is when you have a scoop that catches more are as you go faster.

Stan

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Eh, maybe my terminology is off, that to me looks like an SRI with a box around it. If I were to do it, I'd route the tube through the fender, seal it and have filter in the fender well, I thought that's how CAIs worked on Subarus. I thought ram-air is when you have a scoop that catches more are as you go faster.

Stan
I think you are technically correct too. (A lot depends on I guess if you are used to classic American muscle cars or the newer 'tuners'.) I generally drop the 'short' off of 'short ram air intake'.

If he wants to go the route you are referring to, he can do this: PRODUCT DETAIL | Gorilla Offroad Company But then he'll need a new hood and scoop, like off of an XT. But again, he'll need a retune for it to work (properly).

mothership - To which are you referring?

·
Registered
2004 Forester 5 speed
45 Posts
When I bought my Forester it had a K&N panel filter and I didn't want to get rid of that so I came up with this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts