Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

What color should I paint my ratty IM?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be swapping it over to my new engine next week... it needs to be painted because it looks disgusting. Should I spray it in a stock silver color or go black? I'm not going red...

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,830 Posts
I would have the manifold cleaned by having it sprayed with a low abrasive material. That should make the aluminum look like new. From there, you could have it powder coated or leave it the natural aluminum. I'm not sure a rattle can paint job will adhere well to the aluminum? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd love to have it ported and coated... but I don't have enough time. :frown:

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and Bobby... it will in fact adhere it aluminum.... Did this a couple months ago. :wink: I love wrinkle!

·
Registered
05 XTi FMIC
2,564 Posts
^^^Damn that looks good, I couldnt get the wrinkle black to look that good on my FMIC piping. Kudos. Prep hints? I am doing my manny black when I do my TGVs/inlet/rails in mid-June.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^Damn that looks good, I couldnt get the wrinkle black to look that good on my FMIC piping. Kudos. Prep hints? I am doing my manny black when I do my TGVs/inlet/rails in mid-June.
Thanks! It really tied everything together in that project. http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x159/737LUVR/Drednought/IMG_5961RSZ.jpg

FMIC Piping would be hard... unless you roughed them up a LOT.

Basically I stripped the finish off the manifold with a wire wheel, and used a dremel to get the tight spots. Blew off the excess dust with air, then wiped it down really well with a cloth and acetone. Let it dry, did that again. Let it dry, then sprayed in the sun. The wrinkle works 100x better if you let it dry in the sunlight. I rotated it 180deg halfway through the drying to get the other side exposed to the light as well.

I'm torn between doing a silver mani with black brackets, hardware, and caps, or doing a black mani with silver brackets.

Here's what it looks like now... dingy and corroded!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,830 Posts
If raw aluminum isn't prepped correctly by cleaning & chemical etching, the paint will not bond correctly to the surface & will fail from the aluminum surface outward.

The other issue I see, if if you do something fancy to the manifold, you have so many other raw, unpainted parts around it that will look out of place with the newly painted manifold.

I bet once you get the manifold off & cleaned, it's going to look pretty good. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^kinda why I was thinking black. Then there wouldn't be a contrast between shiny new looking aluminum and dingy old alternator. lol

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,140 Posts
Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!! Crinkle red!!!

Or if your really against that, black.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^I can't bear to do it on a N/A car. This thing is not fast... it does not need red. lol It looks cool, but I love the subtle look. Maybe if I ever do an AVO kit or a full built N/A setup (cams, high compression, PP6, etc..).

I'd do some VHT black on it.
Yep... that's actually what that SBC mani in the pic was sprayed with. Even brought a can with me in case I decided to go that route. I think I'll probably end up going black.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
wrinkle black, then come up/over to marylnd and do mine as well. along with my fmic and intake piping.

Ill let you drive the car for payment. sound fair?

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wrinkle black, then come up/over to marylnd and do mine as well. along with my fmic and intake piping.

Ill let you drive the car for payment. sound fair?
I'll do a full detail too.

Drive the car? Sure!

I'll drive it home with me!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts