Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 6MT
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I removed my crossmember spacers during my V9 drivetrain/suspension swap (raises engine 30 mm). I also swapped the FXT crossmember for the STI version. I have always read that removing the spacers puts the engine in the same position as the WRX and STI, but I am starting to doubt that given the fitment issues I am having with the Cobb SF+ intake.

Not surprisingly, the stock intake/pose-maf setup didn't work after raising the engine. I grabbed a Cobb post-maf hose, and as you can see below, this mostly fixes the issue with the stock airbox.

Now that I am in the middle of doing some power mods, my tuner recommended a Cobb SF+ intake. I tried to install this yesterday and ran into two issues. First, the post-maf hose misses the hole in the airbox by a mile. As the picture below shows, it ends up high and to the rear of the car and can't be twisted or rearranged to make it fit better.

Another issue is the airbox's interference with one the power steering fluid reservoir. Specifically, the hose going to the rear of the reservoir hits the airbox and prevents the reservoir from being properly mounted. This doesn't seem like it should have anything to do with the crossmember spacers, though. It might just be that my reservoir bracket it tweaked. I will try messing with it ASAP.

Anyone have any thoughts on what's going on here? Should I look at the GrimmSpeed intake? Am I in custom territory with all the swapped stuff?

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just spoke with Cobb support. They basically said put the spacers back. So, that wasn't too helpful.

This is confusing the hell out of me. My best guess at this point is that the geometry of the engine bay is different in a forester such that the wall of Cobb's intake sits higher in the forester vs a wrx or sti. Maybe the "floor" of the passenger side engine bay (where the power steering reservoir sits) is a bit higher to compensate for the engine being higher in a forester. Anyway, I will try a few more things this weekend before just making a custom post-maf hose. Boo. Unexpected waste of time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally had the chance to spend a couple of hours on this and managed to get it installed. In the end, I think this actually had nothing to do with the crossmember spacers and Cobb was just using it as an excuse to get me off the phone. I should have known better to give them that as ammo against me. If I had to guess, I would have had a similar experience on an STI or WRX.

Overall, I'm still surprised that the fitment was so bad that it made me question whether or not there were bigger issues. Specifically, I have to significantly warp the top plate to get it to sit flat on the intake housing, I needed to drill out the power steering bracket holes to make one of the hoses clear the intake housing, and the front portion of the intake housing is strictly designed for the STI snorkus and fits like complete garbage on the Forester snorkus. I will probably just remove it along with that white plastic air chamber in the fender.

In the end, I'm having a hard time believing that it is really doing any good at all as far as preventing the hot air from the engine bay from being drawn into the intake. When I purchased this intake from Bren Tuning, I initially asked about the GrimmSpeed intake and they told me they had tested every intake on the market and that Cobb's always came out on top. Generally, they estimated a good intake would net me about 10 hp for my 350 hp target. They may be right about the relative hp gains of Cobb versus the various options on the market, but that perspective overlooks some of the pretty obvious design flaws with Cobb's offering. Not everything is about power, and I would definitely try something else if I could do it over again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts