Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm looking at an '06 X 5spd Forester and I would love it if I could get some insurance quotes on the XT version of this car. I could probably own this thing on a week of less but I really need to know if the turbo is going to beat me (and my wallet) into the ground or not. I'm aware that gas will probably make me broke for the rest of my life but, is a turbo going to be significantly more expensive to insure? I'm 18 so that'll probably impact what my costs are as well.

No speculations / guesses please, I'd like just straight up numbers off your guys' insurance bills.

Muchos gracias! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Your not going to like the answers..:biggrin:
Different places are going to have different insurance means different amounts.. even between Provinces up here it is totally different.

But what I can tell you is that my ins costs went down 60% the day I turned 25.. it sucks but you know yourself why it's like that.

FXT vs X probably doesn't amount to as much $ as the fuel difference.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My parents would be the owners of the car with me a a secondary driver so the costs would go down considerably. If answers are different though I'll get an average. PLus I think it may be only $40 a month more at the most for an XT with premium gas - about the same as a tank of gas for the X I drive right now.

I wish somebody would convince me that I don't need the turbo but I think I'll be able to afford it no problem so I'm kinda firm on getting one. Bleh..

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
I am paying less than a quarter of what I payed on a 2002 WRX for my 05 X. I'm 19 so I'm in your age range. And the fact is that yes, the turbo is going to bring your rates up a LOT. It becomes a high performance car when you get the XT (usually based on bhp to weight ratio) and you're rates will reflect that.

Edit after seeing your last post. ^ That info is with me on my parents plan, car in my name, one ticket on record.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ I've only had 6 tickets so far, that's not too much right?

Is engine work going to be a lot more pricey too? I would expect with a turbo you'll run into more problems (as I've read on here).

Also, why don't we set up a subie meet sometime? You're only 2 hours away... 1 if I drive fast x]

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,939 Posts
My son started driving before he was 16, he's 19 now. The car he is assigned to is a '95 Neon sport :)wink::wink:). He took Driver's Education in High School. He's never had a traffic ticket. He's never been in an accident. The insurance is for liability only. His yearly insurance premium was nearly $2K at 16 years old. It goes down every year on his Birthday if he maintains a perfect driving record. It's still over $1500 a year! :icon_eek:

If he had to carry full coverage & had a newer vehicle, the insurance would be way more! :frown:

As a comparison, the insurance on my '07 FSXT is under $500 a year for full coverage. :wink:

Bottom line:
  • Drive an older vehicle.
  • Carry liability insurance only.
  • Maintain a good driving.
  • Save your money & buy a nicer vehicle when the insurance won't bleed you dry! :wink:
My .02 cents worth. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoa, thanks for that info.. I was also joking about the tickets, I have 0 thus far (knock on wood). Wouldn't it help if I was under my parents name or does that not really matter? Also, I can't drive a *cheaper* car due to me living in Tahoe... I am not dealing with chains and would only drive a Subie up here :p

·
Administrator
40,939 Posts
Whoa, thanks for that info.. I was also joking about the tickets, I have 0 thus far (knock on wood). Wouldn't it help if I was under my parents name or does that not really matter? Also, I can't drive a *cheaper* car due to me living in Tahoe... I am not dealing with chains and would only drive a Subie up here :p
My son is under my insurance policy & the premium I posted is the discount he gets for being on my policy. Not fair, but that's the way it is. :frown:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Why don't you just call your insurance company and get quotes? Other peoples rates are completely useless for comparison purposes and have no bearing whatsoever on your own situation...

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,689 Posts
So I assume that the collision and the person who hit you wasn't reported to your insurance company?

I'd love to have a little chat with your parents. For some reason, you're so stuck on getting a car that you won't know how to drive (safely), and I'm concerned that you're going to wind up doing something (teenager'ish) which winds up with us going to a Forester funeral. This isn't a game where you can just press a reset button when you wrap a vehicle around a tree, or slide off a cliff...

·
Administrator
40,939 Posts
Ouch... I guess I'll be riding a bicycle and a dogsled for the next 7 years : (
I thought the plan was to drive what you're now driving & move up to an XT in the future, after you're out of school & a bit older. Sounds like a very good plan to me. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,689 Posts
I thought the plan was to drive what you're now driving & move up to an XT in the future, after you're out of school & a bit older. Sounds like a very good plan to me. :wink:

Bobby...
I second the approval of this plan. :woohoo:

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why don't you just call your insurance company and get quotes? Other peoples rates are completely useless for comparison purposes and have no bearing whatsoever on your own situation...
Because I want to see what insurance will be like in the future for me if I get an XT over an X. I already looked it up on different insurance websites and it's around $100-150 a month.

So I assume that the collision and the person who hit you wasn't reported to your insurance company?

I'd love to have a little chat with your parents. For some reason, you're so stuck on getting a car that you won't know how to drive (safely), and I'm concerned that you're going to wind up doing something (teenager'ish) which winds up with us going to a Forester funeral. This isn't a game where you can just press a reset button when you wrap a vehicle around a tree, or slide off a cliff...
The collision was but probably doesn't count against me since I wasn't at fault. The guy at school wasn't reported because he bought me a new bumper so less hassle.

Well the thing is, I drive safe but where I live there's lots of mountain roads that have little trafic on them so it's not a big deal to go 5-10 mph over the speed limit.. I was just saying that with a turbo I might end up going faster than that just because I'd have the ability to. So yeah, I'm concerned with the future safety aspect of it too :p

Bobby...

My MODding Journal
It was, but I almost have enough for my own so I'm just gonna do that.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,163 Posts
It was, but I almost have enough for my own so I'm just gonna do that.
Seems like we've been through this before. Why is it a problem for you to simply hold on to your money for some future use?

Life brings a lot of opportunities which require money, and if you are "car poor" you may miss some of those opportunities.

As for insurance, ask your own agent. Your question is like "how much does a restaurant meal cost?"

George

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I own an 05 X and 05 XT and the insurance on them is within cents of each other. They are both basically $52 a month. All companies differ though. My company lists all Forester models together because claims rates are extremely low for the XT, so they don't consider it any higher a risk than the NA models.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Sign up for a DMV-approved defensive driving or teen survival course. That should bring down your insurance premiums.

If I were to compare the liability premiums only for our 98 S and 04 XT (not the whole bill because the 98 only has liability coverage), the XT costs about 63% more to insure. However, the replacement value is also only about a third of the value of the XT, so it's hard to make these comparisons.

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
Just call your parents insurance agent up. They will give you a quote on changing from the 03'NA to the 06'XT.

However, don't do it. Keep the 03', go to college, graduate....then consider getting something else. You might be surprised that you decide to keep the 03' and spend your dough on a condo or your own apartment or something....

...just my .02cents which isn't worth .01cent anymore...

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 Speed Manual
524 Posts
I know I'm late on this post, but I just thought I'd post, mainly to see if I myself am paying too much on insurance...

If it makes a difference, my insurance company lists my '06 XT as a 5 door wagon, making no mention of the charge for the turbo option. I went from a new '03 Baja to the new '06 XT with no change in price. I'm 27, and it costs me $1100 a year, (full coverage with rental, which I know is high!) but I have A LOT of discounts, (safe driver, multi-car, milti-policy) which drops it down to around $600 a year...

I did see a nice drop in insurance AFTER I turned 25. They also said that if I get married, it will be cut in half again (which isn't happening any time soon!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts