Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase a 2019 Limited, and prior to doing so I checked my current carrier (Progressive) to get an insurance quote. Two weeks ago they didn't have the 19 Foresters in their system yet, so they quoted me a rate for a 2018 with Eyesight. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my 6-month premium would drop about $120 over my current vehicle. Well, I went online yesterday to check the 19s, and while the 18s are still $120 cheaper, the 19s are only about $30 cheaper.

With identical coverage on the same drivers, the 2018 w/ Eyesight is $180 cheaper per year for insurance than the 2019 w/ Eyesight.

Has anyone else run into this? Maybe because it's the first year of the new model?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,194 Posts
It could be a number of reasons - including being the new model without an established record of safety. While the systems are the same as 2018 (more or less), they still are different.

Another thing is the price for the new models. Could also be the change to one single power-train set up. With the former XT Turbo and the NA models, the XT may have cost more to insure (given the sporty nature) than the NA models.

But insurance is always going up anyway.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT
17 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Outback. I called the insurance company and asked for a quote on a "2019 Outback". When I got the actual premium for the car I bought, the rate was a bit higher. Since the insurance costs are based on the value of the car, I assumed they quoted a base OB first, but the MSRP of my OB Premium with about $4K of drove the rate higher.

·
Registered
2020 Forester, Crystal While Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather
135 Posts
Also, I think the 2019 Forester has not completed its IIHS and NHTSA safety tests. Or at least the results have not been published. Based on the results, the premiums might be adjusted. Current rates might be based on anticipated results.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
600 Posts
2018’s have parts galore. 2014-2018 chassis and body parts, known repair procedures. Plentiful availability.

2019’s are brand new, and may have unknowns and constrained parts for a bit.

We can only guess.

My 2017 premium is lower than my wife’s old Honda Fit 2009 LOL. Ins is weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight, and I was thinking the same things. I didn't know NHTSA / IIHS hadn't published test results, though. Judging by the fact that Progressive only added the car within the last few days, those missing results probably have something to do with it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,520 Posts
I'm about to purchase a 2019 Limited, and prior to doing so I checked my current carrier (Progressive) to get an insurance quote. Two weeks ago they didn't have the 19 Foresters in their system yet, so they quoted me a rate for a 2018 with Eyesight. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my 6-month premium would drop about $120 over my current vehicle. Well, I went online yesterday to check the 19s, and while the 18s are still $120 cheaper, the 19s are only about $30 cheaper.

With identical coverage on the same drivers, the 2018 w/ Eyesight is $180 cheaper per year for insurance than the 2019 w/ Eyesight.

Has anyone else run into this? Maybe because it's the first year of the new model?
I have coverage with State Farm. The premium difference between my 2016 Forester Touring and my 2019 Forester Touring was negligible...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts