Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 S Turbo Manual
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I dont post often so If this is in the wrong place, please move it about.

Basically my Insurance was up for a renew today, Im usually up to date but have just been so frazzled laterly. Went to work, came home and renewed as normal.

Except For some reason my insurance ranout at 12:05pm...I thought It was just under the general day but while putting away paperwork I noticed the exact time.

Now Ive worried myself into oblivion because itd Drivin home At 2 oclock from tottenham (20 mins) and 20 mins down the m25.

Am I going to get a letter and points in the post from cameras about having no insurance?

Thanks to anyone thats had any type of experiance.

Ive Struggled to find anything as most searchs are about purposly going out with no insurance everyday or why its good to have insurance.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,859 Posts
I don't know about where you live, but I have never seen a speed/traffic camera that runs insurance checks on every vehicle.

You should be fine.

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,966 Posts
I'm not aware of static cameras having ANPR on them, so you should be fine.

You might have triggered an ANPR if you'd passed one (though that would be unlikely, there's probably a slight time lag), but to my knowledge those are all manned, so you'd have been pulled over.

I'd chalk it up to experience and pay a bit more attention next time. :biggrin:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
You may have been caught on ANPR but I doubt the MID is specific enough to have the actual time your insurance expires, just the date.

Seeing as you renewed the same day as your old policy expired, I'd be hugely surprised if you get anything more through the post than your new insurance certificate.

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,966 Posts
Had a quick read up and looks like I was mistaken; there are fixed ANPR cameras.

However, when you looked at what they're targeting, it's not you! Also, as Ian says, it's highly unlikely you'll show up anyway.

The odds are definitely in your favour.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring CVT
916 Posts
I don't know about where you live, but I have never seen a speed/traffic camera that runs insurance checks on every vehicle.

You should be fine.
I've never even heard of such a thing as using traffic cameras to run insurance checks. I actually think it would be a good idea.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
The UK has a Motor Insurance Database that lists all vehicles with valid insurance. This is tied to our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system which is fitted to highway partol vehicles etc and notifies the Police when it detects a vehicle with no insurance. I believe it also flags cars with no tax or MOT either.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT Slush-Box
342 Posts
There are static ANPR cameras everywhere, usually blue at the side of the road or on bridges. But they don't run checks, they just log where you've been and only flag up marked cars to traffic units.

This technology has been around for around for a while, I was pulled over in 2011 and the officer showed me their new kit while I was sitting in the back (ironically I was pulled over for 'no insurance' as I hadn't told my insurance company about my private plate), he just put my number plate in and it showed up on the screen every one of these cameras I'd driven past in Scotland over the last 8 weeks!

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,966 Posts
I used to act for a client that made mobile ANPR units and average speed cameras.

It was a professional/personal dilemma, as through my work I would get them substantial tax relief under the R&D tax credit system, which helped further the technology which I know one day will probably cause me to get caught (even though I'm pretty careful with my speed).

I'm all for ANPR as it definitely helps with policing persistent offenders and more serious crimes where the vehicle is marked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If such an insurance existed I would be like - Shut up and take my money :). You don't have what to worry about, because they don't check your insurance. I might be wrong, but this is what I know. Even though I'm satisfied with my insurance provider, every time my renewal is approaching I still take a few quotes on https://www.moneyexpert.com/car-insurance/ to see if I can get a better deal. Well, returning to your question, renew your insurance as soon as you can, and you'll have a problem less.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
714 Posts
@DragonSubie7

Tbh as shown in this old thread, there are a few good uses for this style big brother... obviously I know the OP made an error, not sure the outcome, but the ANPR cameras aid policing and frankly, if you're not doing anything wrong, you'll be alright.

Uninsured drivers, by all accounts are an absolute nightmare in the US (as they are in the UK) and the reality is, anything that gets the proper uninsured mob off the road/without wheels, the safer we all are.

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,966 Posts
Agreed. Who the **** cares if "big brother" checks you've got car insurance when you should have car insurance?!

Maybe this sort of paranoia is a side effect of injecting disinfectant...

·
Registered
2003 Forester AW Manual with low ratio
225 Posts
Just came back from a ( legal) run to my little place in far SW Scotland from Northumberland this weekend. You might have seen in the news the local 5 mile restrictions reimposed for residents around Gretna/Annan/ Dumfries, which I travelled through or bypassed along the A75
Found it odd that very little traffic, yet a speed camera / ANPR van both ways, Friday afternoon and Sunday morning on the A75 in that small area. Checking on locals going more than 5 miles or checkng the same folks going across the border to Carlsle for a pub drink???
Nice touch the HGV drivers know where they are and not shy about it either ( wink, wink, blink, flash)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts