1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search and couldn't find any recco's for insurance

I have always had company cars and no private insurance - clean record

My new FXT auto arrives in a week or so and I have been looking at insurance options

I have done online quotes with Aami, CGU, Vero (via my bank)

Vero is the cheapest in terms of premium (under $900) but I don't know much about them

Does anyone have comments or suggestions based on their experience of which company might be best ? I'm not worried if one is a hundred dollars more than the other - I want a good insurer. For example, I have heard some negative stories about Aaami and I am not touching NRMA

I'm over 40 and no one else will drive the vehicle.

I have home contents insurance with CGU - does this help with reducing premium ?

Thanks folks

Edit - anyone taken the Subaru insurance offer ? I like their 3 year new replacement offer but will have to call the dealer to find the detail

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Im with AAMI and while I heard of supposed negative stories about them, its actually hard to find anyone who has had a worse time with them than anyone else.

Under 900 is pretty good and I think only AAMI will be in that ballpark. NRMA and GIO will probably be more like 1200.
AAMI also seems fairly mod friendly.

Lack of previous private insurance shouldnt be too bad, especially if you can get a letter from your business insurance stating you havent had a claim.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey Candy,
Yep insurance is nearly as hard as the decision to buy the car.
Do remember that with any of the major companies, simply because of their size, you will hear bad reports.
No-one ever writes anything good about an insurance company.
We have been insured with AAMI for a number of years now and have only had 1 claim with them. We enjoy a lifetime rating 1 with them now.
They arent the cheapest around and who knows if they are the best, but i have to say, they are always professional when i need to contact them.
Although we have only claimed once, i had a period of about 2years when people thought that my vehicle was a dodgem car - 3 incidents not my fault!!!
AAMI were efficient and they kept me up to date with the progress of my repairs. (2 of which were over due by a week - again no-one says good things, but to be honest, i dont think it was their fault.)

I'm in retail and there is a saying that if you do wrong by a client they will tell 10 of their friends. Do something right and they will tell 1 person!

Good luck with your choice, but dont believe all of the bad press.
Justin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some past discussion of this a while back but all gone now I suppose. When I did the research almost 18 months ago the quotes from AAMI & GIO were fairly comparable at around $1,000 (with max no claim but bad area (ie inner city). NRMA was way over the top at $1,700

Had been with NRMA for 11 years previous but AAMI did not need any “letter”, just a statement that main drivers had not had accident etc in previous 5 years. Both AAMI and GIO offered premium discounts if you took an increased excess, AAMI discount was better for equivalent excess increase, I went with AAMI and pay $600 with a $2,000 excess.

Great news about car coming in only a week, you had thought it might be March, try to get some sleep rather than just thinking about it all the time, good luck and take it easy.

Bill

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
salamancabill said:
try to get some sleep rather than just thinking about it all the time, good luck and take it easy.

Bill
The car is about 20 on the list of things I think about atm. Not thinking about it all the time, not even close. However, given it will be my 2nd biggest investment it does deserve consideration.

As for sleep, not much chance with dual jobs atm so online time is spent looking at options during oncall downtimes.

Thank for the info. Will be calling Subaru on Monday re their insurance offer. anyone know about it ?

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Melbfxt said:
No-one ever writes anything good about an insurance company.
We have been insured with AAMI for a number of years now and have only had 1 claim with them. We enjoy a lifetime rating 1 with them now.
Justin.
dicknose said:
Im with AAMI and while I heard of supposed negative stories about them, its actually hard to find anyone who has had a worse time with them than anyone else.
Thanks guys, yes, AAMI seem popular. I just need to check on Vero (who the hell are they) and also the Subaru Insurance offer. As I said, the premium is not my main issue. Moreso the behaviour of the insurance company wrt repairs and service etc.

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
I had been with AAMI for as long as I could remember, my just traded-in Subaru would've been nearly 14 next month. I would've been with them nearly from the beginning, but can't quite remember.

When I had a cyclist crash into me, my experience with AAMI left me with a slightly bitter taste. Although I decided to give them a go with the new Forester, they were more expensive and I since they didn't treat me the way I thought I deserved (didn't have a claim in 7 to 8 years), I didn't think they deserved my continued loyalty.

I went with Allianz, who also offer new car replacement for the first two years if equivalent available, else agreed value.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Subaru Insurance

Hello Candy,
I have recently taken out Subaru insurance on my XSL
I did the comparisons with GIO, CGU (current insurer) API, and Subaru,
GIO came out cheapest if I combined existing policies. They offer 5% discount per policy.
Subaru were the cheapest on the car, but only cover Subaru vehicles, and only insure on MV in the first 3yrs
I can send you an excel file with the comparisons if you wish.

As it was easy to set up when I picked up my XS, and on the recommendation of a friend in the smash repair business, I went with the Subaru deal.
The 3yr replacement and using genuine parts sound good, I hope I never have to use them though.
They are underwritten by Alliance so they should be okay.
Their conditions and other bits and pieces were similar to other companies.
Good luck in your search for Insurance.
W

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
werris said:
Hello Candy,

Subaru were the cheapest on the car, but only cover Subaru vehicles, and only insure on MV in the first 3yrs
I can send you an excel file with the comparisons if you wish.

W
For sure if you don't mind - would be good to see the comparisons.

I'm down to Vero (via my bank), CGU and Subaru

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would stay away from CGU They were $487-00 PA dearer than GIO on my existing policies, and $65-00 PA on the Subaru.
Any tips on how to attach a file to a message? I am having trouble sending you the spread sheet you want.
G

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
werris said:
I would stay away from CGU They were $487-00 PA dearer than GIO on my existing policies, and $65-00 PA on the Subaru.
Any tips on how to attach a file to a message? I am having trouble sending you the spread sheet you want.
G
For me, CGU are equal to the best I have so far and much lower than GIO.

I also have my contents ins with them and found them to be excellent with claims. Not sure about car ins though although the ex is with them and they have treated her well.

Will be gettng a price on Subaru today. Again, it's not the premium I am concerned about but the process o working through a claim. My view is that a few hundred saved on premiuim is not worth it if the company is a pita to deal with

As for attachments, you can email me

G

·
0 Posts
Insurance

Candy,

I presume you are doing all the comparisons on Premiums via the net...I suggest that when you get down to the nitty gritty you actual phone the Companies' quote lines.

I run 3 vehicles and was pleasantly surprised that when I phoned GIO to clarify some part of their internet quote, by talking to a human I actually got another $100 off!

·
Registered
10 Posts
gibo2s said:
I presume you are doing all the comparisons on Premiums via the net...I suggest that when you get down to the nitty gritty you actual phone the Companies' quote lines.
That is a good idea to do. Do the online quotes to get comparitive ideas and then ring up to see (say top 2 or 3) how much better you can do on the phone (explain history, circumstances etc).

I tried that with a few insurance companies this time but unfortunately the online quotes was the lowest I could get.

H

·
0 Posts
Candy,

I'm with GIO - switched from NRMA when they introduced their ridiculous new repair policy........ GIO was a little dearer than AAMI but they have been very accommodating regarding the mods I have done - suspension / tyres / body kit.... A phone call to them and a revised policy document has turned up 2 days later in every case.... If you aren't contemplating any mods this may not be a matter for you....

Regards
Ron....

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Ron. I have a quote from GIO and they are one of the lowest premiums (better than AAMI) in my case.

Regards

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
You could also find out who underwrites the Subaru Insurance. I'm not sure if it's Allianz or some other mob.

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is - spoke to the dealer a few days ago

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Folks

FYI

Talked to Subaru about their insurance. The nice thing is that it provides 3 year new car replacement if the car gets totalled and they guarantee genuine Subaru parts

The guy I talked with at my local dealer said to forget it as they were double the premium.

I then got a call from him a few hours later. He had called Allianz (the underwriter) and they have recently dramatically reduced their premiums for the package from Subaru for insurance and are now very close to others.

For me it runs at about $1,000. Still a little more than others (lowest so far is AAMI) but the 3 year new vehicle etc are tempting. Mine is a little higher as I have never had private insurance and did have one little dingle a year ago :(

I currently have them as top choice.

Cheers

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
After finding out Allianz was underwriting Subaru, I went with them considering they offered whatever Subaru did and a bit cheaper. I'm a bit worried about NRMA, and I'm a bit peeved with AAMI, so GIO was the only other option, but Allianz I think gave me everything and was cheaper.

Be careful about the agreed value vs market value replacement. I was very confused about this in the beginning because it seemed I could quote the lower market value and still get a replacement. As it turns out, it's true, but if for some reason they couldn't get the replacement, then you got paid out - at the lower market value.

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Broadbean

AFAIK, only the Subaru insurance (not Allianz) are offering the 3 year new vehicle replacement - it is not market or agreed value - they replace with a new model if the vehicle is written off.

Some offer new vehicle in the first 12 months and one offered over 2 years but none AFAIK offer the 3 year that Subaru do.

Also, they guarantee genuine Subie parts - others do not.

I've checked with CGU, Vero, GIO, AAMI and NRMA now and all were within $200 at the best offer.

cheers

1 - 20 of 34 Posts