Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting my hood and bumper repaired after a tree branch fell on my 2015 Forester. I’m now reading that many insurance companies are using non oem parts or used parts for repair. They call it safe and responsible recycling!

I am not going for this and will start looking for insurance that only use OEM parts. Like Progressive. State Farm is very deceptive and will speak to someone today. This is very disappointing. I read where the insured has to pay the difference for oem?

Has anyone had experience with an issue like this? I’m getting a new hood , headlamp and bumper cover. Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
433 Posts
This (recycling) is going on for a while. I pay extra for use of OEM parts in the insurance. Usually, with insurance, you get what you pay for and most are fine with that until they come across a situation like this. Almost nobody reads 30-40 pages terms and conditions that come with the insurance.

In my research, I found only Liberty Mutual is upfront about this. None that I could find asked me any question about the use of OEM parts and I had to ask the agent or the customer service personnel this question about which parts they will use for a certain quote. Some didn't even offer an option of using OEM parts, only stress that we use the parts that are compatible with your vehicle. IMHO, compatibility doesn't equate to safety or quality.

In my research, I found Progressive and/or AllState have developed a chain of auto body shops that they own (but do not declare to the insured) and you are 'encouraged' to take your vehicle there. You can only assume what happens next. A couple of auto body shops around me do not work with these companies and when asked they do not give you a straight answer. The auto body place that I had to take my vehicle a few years ago mentioned that they try to cut the corners and he doesn't want to do such a job.

These are the reasons I refuse to go with these companies even though they offer cheaper insurance for my vehicles, esp if my vehicle is newer. For a vehicle more than 10 years old, I would consider.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I’m getting my hood and bumper repaired after a tree branch fell on my 2015 Forester. I’m now reading that many insurance companies are using non oem parts or used parts for repair. They call it safe and responsible recycling!

I am not going for this and will start looking for insurance that only use OEM parts. Like Progressive. State Farm is very deceptive and will speak to someone today. This is very disappointing. I read where the insured has to pay the difference for oem?

Has anyone had experience with an issue like this? I’m getting a new hood , headlamp and bumper cover. Thanks
I've gotten around aftermarket parts by asking for the DOT certification. My vehicle was crash tested with OEM parts. They say aftermarket meet the same standards- show me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, I had to deal with this a few months ago, and even though I have nothing against recycling, I paid more to get the OEM parts in the insurance. You have to ask for them because many insurance companies use recycled parts and won't even tell you what they use if you don't ask. I had my bumper repaired after a small accident, nothing serious, and after I got a free car valuation on https://www.car.co.uk/car-valuation and sold the car with no problems. I won't risk using these parts and I would rather pay extra, to get the OEM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This (recycling) is going on for a while. I pay extra for use of OEM parts in the insurance. Usually, with insurance, you get what you pay for and most are fine with that until they come across a situation like this. Almost nobody reads 30-40 pages terms and conditions that come with the insurance.

In my research, I found only Liberty Mutual is upfront about this. None that I could find asked me any question about the use of OEM parts and I had to ask the agent or the customer service personnel this question about which parts they will use for a certain quote. Some didn't even offer an option of using OEM parts, only stress that we use the parts that are compatible with your vehicle. IMHO, compatibility doesn't equate to safety or quality.

In my research, I found Progressive and/or AllState have developed a chain of auto body shops that they own (but do not declare to the insured) and you are 'encouraged' to take your vehicle there. You can only assume what happens next. A couple of auto body shops around me do not work with these companies and when asked they do not give you a straight answer. The auto body place that I had to take my vehicle a few years ago mentioned that they try to cut the corners and he doesn't want to do such a job.

These are the reasons I refuse to go with these companies even though they offer cheaper insurance for my vehicles, esp if my vehicle is newer. For a vehicle more than 10 years old, I would consider.
Good point, it's the right decision and it's not worth it. I had to deal with this, and it was worse that I could imagine. Now I only opt for OEM

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,987 Posts
Non-OEM parts have been around for decades. It's part of the way that insurers make money. You didn't think that insurance companies were in this for the good of all, do you? Nope. They're out to make money, money, money. And to keep their profits high, they will often use replacement parts that are non-OEM....

But I will say in favor of "used" parts - at least then it's OEM (more than likely)....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts