Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
09 XS Premium A/T
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some Foresters have a light at the bottom of both of the front doors (is in MY09 & 10, not sure about others). these lights are always on when that door is open (1st pic). it's not too difficult to put a switch in each door trim to turn the light off when required eg. when camping and the door will be open for a while.

1. take the door trim off (search is your friend)
2. cut one of the two wires leading to the door light connector and install some connectors (2nd pic) to connect inline with the switch. cut the wire that is the "return" wire, in keeping with "low side switching" (use a multimeter to see which wire carries voltage with the door open. cut the wire that has no voltage on it). in my vehicle it was the plain coloured wire (without the extra coloured stripe).
3. connect wires to your switch and then install the switch in the door trim (3rd pic). i got a simple, small switch from Dick Smith Electronics. i chose the location for the switch as it was out of the way and unlikely to be bumped.
4. add connectors to the switch wires and connect to door wires.
5. make sure switch works (1st and 4th pics).
6. repeat for other door.

there you go - now you can turn the lights on or off whenever you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
There is also a Subaru Service Bulletin, describing a solution to this problem – obviously due to a stupid blunder on Subarus part(!) The bulletin describe the installation of an override button, like the one found on the ´10 model.

M

·
Registered
09 XS Premium A/T
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DieselBoxer my usually good search skills are failing me (here, on ScoobyMods and internet). got a link?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
857 Posts
DieselBoxer my usually good search skills are failing me (here, on ScoobyMods and internet). got a link?
X2....my MY10 has no over ride switch for the door lights...wish it did, also wish my lenses were red like Rustoz'.

@Rustoz, do you know if your MY09red door light lense interchange with MY10 clear lense?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
857 Posts
Thanks for the reply, no I haven't yet...lol...too many hobbies and responsibilities pulling me around.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
857 Posts
X2....my MY10 has no over ride switch for the door lights...wish it did, also wish my lenses were red like Rustoz'.

@Rustoz, do you know if your MY09red door light lense interchange with MY10 clear lense?
no unfortunately Nate, but you've probably figured something out by now.
Thanks, yes used Tamiya acrylic clear red paint brushed on inside and outside of both door light plastic lenses. Did the inside and outside to darken the color so that it shown more red, they are perfect now. :)

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/acrylic-paint-mini-10ml/acrylic-mini-x-27-clear-red/10ml-bottle/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts