Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been digging around to see if there are any descriptive install guides for moving the radio (double DIN) from the center dash to the top in a gauge pod, removing the top storage compartment, brackets to align the radio, etc. but havent yet found what I need.

I have the gauge pod and radio ready to go, just uncertain as to mount it.
Thanks in advance!:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
35,485 Posts
@Womprat57 I'm assuming you purchased the H0010SA950ML POD. That comes with the required mounting brackets that you will need to mount the double DIN head unit in the POD. Of course if you install a double DIN head unit in the POD, you will have to delete the clock. :wink:

The only issues I recall reading is that the antenna cable may be too short, requiring an extension cable. :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bobby! Yes read that and will be tucking it the connector, not too concerned. Got the H0010SA950ML and it has two small brackets, do I combine them with the ones I remove from the stock head unit? I did get an antenna extension also, got the headunit wired and tested ok, hardest part was routing the mic above the mirror, and by hard i mean easy. Do I need a Metra double DIN mounting kit?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solved

Some days I feel as if the dementia gets the better of me...

I did a test fit of the bracket to the head unit to the pod to the dash. Looks like it will be pretty flush, but those clips are menacing, once I push the pod down gonna be a beeyiotch to remove if everything isnt flush. Ended up being pretty simple, like the installer!

Now I am thinking I need some sticky backed thin black felt strips to run around the radio bezel so no squeaky, hate squeaks.

·
Super Moderator
35,485 Posts
Yes, removing the POD, once it's been installed, is VERY difficult! :icon_eek:

The POD removal requires 2 steps:

[1] Pull it up, by hand, to get it it up a bit. It should pop up to the first mounting tab notch.
[2] Use a trim tool, taking care to protect the dash, to release the POD from the dash.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes, removing the POD, once it's been installed, is VERY difficult! :icon_eek:
I haven't finished my install yet - stalled as it were... so haven't pushed the Pod in completely.

I'm going to shave the clips back a bit and my mechanic suggested using some <<insert stuff he told me that I forgot>> so it's easier for the clips to come out later on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts