Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

This will be my first real technical post on the forum!

I just picked up a MY06 (getting used to the lingo!) Forester X. The first thing I noticed is that the stock radio was not to my liking. It was the single DIN version with the weather tuner. Being that this is the iPod age and I have a double DIN to work with I picked up a Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD A/V unit with the iPod and Bluetooth phone accessories.

Now here is the tricky part(to me at least...). The head unit and accessories will be installed on Wednesday morning. After reading though this forum, I found that I can very easily install the optional door tweeters!

Here are my questions:

1. Are the wires for the tweeters going to be behind the panel when I take them off? (Remember: MY06) Am I going to need to solder anything or are there clips?

2. Granted that the installer attaches the head unit and wiring harness correctly, will the tweeters work with my new head unit?

Thanks in advance!

J.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,830 Posts
The factory/OEM tweeter upgrade is very easy to install. The wiring is already in place & the kit comes with detailed instructions. Should take no more than 15 minutes to do, some have done it in less than 5 minutes. This MOD is all "plug & play". :wink:

Nothing the head unit installer does should affect the tweeter wiring. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
The factory/OEM tweeter upgrade is very easy to install. The wiring is already in place & the kit comes with detailed instructions. Should take no more than 15 minutes to do, some have done it in less than 5 minutes. This MOD is all "plug & play". :wink:

Nothing the head unit installer does should affect the tweeter wiring. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal
^^What Bobby said. I have the exact same HU (and love it), and just put in the tweeter kit...no tools required. A few photos are on my member journal. Enjoy the upgrades!

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^What Bobby said. I have the exact same HU (and love it), and just put in the tweeter kit...no tools required. A few photos are on my member journal. Enjoy the upgrades!

I'm so excited to use the HU! Do you have the bluetooth phone kit installed? Was there a big learning curve with all the HU's functions?

J.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
I'm so excited to use the HU! Do you have the bluetooth phone kit installed? Was there a big learning curve with all the HU's functions?

J.
I don't have any extras installed with it. I did wire the parking brake override to a separate switch so it can be used while driving... There's a bit of a learning curve to controlling the interface, but once you get the hang of it you'll be able to use it without even looking. A few of the special tricks aren't all that intuitive, so I had to consult the manual (i.e. setting up a custom background). Make sure whoever installs it knows to splice the power remote lead from the HU to the white/blue factory wire for the antenna...this is necessary to power the window antenna to get full reception, and not all that obvious (at least to me).

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really need to set up a signature. Photos are in my Let me know if you have any questions.
I found it just as the e-mail arrived for your post.

I wish I had the time and patience to do the install myself but, somehow I know I'd mess up. Tanks for the tip on the blue wire. I'll let him know!

It seems as if we are into the same mods. After the HU I want to replace the speakers. I was also looking into the lift kit and skid plates. Have you researched anything on those yet?

PS - I had to take out the link to your blog in my quote because I'm not allowed to post URL's yet! A few more posts to go!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts