Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay in my 1999 forester I wanted to install my Head Uniit from my old car (headunit= Pioneer DEH-P5000UB) problem is that it is too big for the trim, was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this before? so can you go from a cassette and cd dual to a single head unit? Thank You.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,860 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

I'm not familiar with the earlier head units, but they should be a standard single or double DIN. Where you could run into a problem, is if the head unit opening isn't a standard DIN size. :frown:

On the head unit you tried to reuse. Did you remove as much of the trim as possible? On my installation, none of the trim was required. If I left the trim on, the head unit would not have fit. :wink:

As to your question on going from a double to single, sure. I did that here on my audio upgrade. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pin plug fits, my forester has a single pin but I'm saying the my new head unit is to wide to fit into the outer trim that on the dash? didn't know if they made a new piece for it for not all the plugs and wires are working fine, just getting it to stay in and it to fit is all. Thank you, I just bought my forester a few days ago and already love it. '

Danny Curro

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,860 Posts
I'd suggest not hacking up the wiring harness. You can purchase an adapter that makes the project "plug & play". :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
I believe it should fit right in. Have you removed the bezel from around the pioneer?
I'm not sure how closely the 99 forester head unit is to the impreza's, but I'd quess they are similar.

Scoobymods (of course, Peaty you ALWAYS rock!!) has a link for the 93-01 impreza's that might help 93-01 impreza stock head unit replacement. Scoobymods is a great how to site, that I'd recommend you register and check out (you might need to register, no charge, to see images, but it's worth it.

Good Luck and post some images (there might be a post count number before images are allowed) and welcome to the forums.

I hope you enjoy your forester!!

dm

sea-sooby has an awesome post on swappable interior parts 98-02 Forester/98-01 Impreza that indicates the scoobymods link should be the same for your 99 forester

from sea-scooby's post
Dash Pocket: Exactly the same. Gauge packs and single din pockets fit both vehicles.

Radio Area: The dash bezel is the same, as are the cupholder and hazard/rear defrost switches. The HVAC controls fit too. The Forester cup holder has a 2 cup option, where as the Impreza only has one.

Center Console/Gear selector area: They are slight different looking, but they bolt/snap right in. The Forester one has a cupholder behind the armrest/cubby, the Impreza has a ashtray.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did take the bezel off but it would not fit through the dash, but maybe it isnt suppose to jsut bud up against I am going to take a look tomarrow morning so I will take some pictures if it doesnt work and let everyone know! Thanks!
Danny Curro

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so I went down to Springfield to work on my forester because my dad has a car shop, So I pay at cost. Yay for me. I forget my radio up in Kansas City though, bummer. I was wondering if they make an aftermarket stereo install kit for the 99 forester? or do I just use the old mounts and screw them straight to my reciever or do I need to use the outer metal sleeve that came with my new stereo? Thanks

·
Registered
2010 Forester
77 Posts
Okay so I went down to Springfield to work on my forester because my dad has a car shop, So I pay at cost. Yay for me. I forget my radio up in Kansas City though, bummer. I was wondering if they make an aftermarket stereo install kit for the 99 forester? or do I just use the old mounts and screw them straight to my reciever or do I need to use the outer metal sleeve that came with my new stereo? Thanks
I've got the pocket/single DIN kit for sale if you want it cheap.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
do I just use the old mounts and screw them straight to my reciever
use the stock bracket to mount your new headunit

take a look at the scoobymods link I posted above....

here's some text from that link

Remove the four Phillips screws and slide the units out. Unplug the antenna and wiring harnesses from the radio and CD player. After everything is unplugged remove the side mounting brackets from the factory radio, make a mental note on how far forward it fit on the brackets so you can get it flush again.

Take the mounting brackets and screw them to your new head unit, keeping in mind how to get it flush again

dm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts